Is a big name school still possible to get into if I take the test in August?

unitedgoal

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2004
13
0
Status
Hi guys,

I was hoping I could get some help about a question... :confused:

Background: I am a junior taking the test this April and I think that I will get around a 28-30, but I really do not know my sciences well at all. My verbal is at least an 11 which is what keeps my score up. I am very confident that I can get at least a 35 in August with some diligent studying.

Question: I have heard taking the test in August puts me at a large disadvantage for fall 2005 admission. If I get my 35+ (I have a good GPA and all the EC stuff) do you guys think there is still a chance for a school like Northwestern or University of Chicago? I will be sending in my AMCAS June first if that makes any difference. Any help would be appreciated and thanks guys, I think this website is wonderful.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE, I HOPE EVERYONE GETS ACCEPTED TO WHEREVER THEY WANT TO GO! :D
 

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
2,011
8
GA
Visit site
Status
I think it's definitely possible. If you don't think you will break 30, perhaps you'd be better off not taking it at all this April. That's a huge jump from 28-30 to 35+. If you think your study time will be that beneficial, you probably shouldn't even take it.
 

10minutes

M.D.Candidate
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2004
250
2
Virginia
Status
I'd just go for the April MCAT because you never know how you will do in August. I know a couple of people who were confident that they could improve their score significantly in August but ended up improving only 2-3 points. If you get 28-30 in April, small improvements are not really worth it. Of course, I'm not saying you will be like them but that's the general trend. And even with a 35MCAT, it will be tough to get into top schools with late application.
 
About the Ads

redgrover

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2003
301
1
Meecheegan
Visit site
Status
It's really not that big of a deal to take a year off if you've already taken the MCAT. If you're not ready in April and know that you're nowhere near where you need to be, I'd say wait. You can retake the exam next April if need be, and if you reach your goal, you go through the whole application process this year. From what I understand, getting your apps in early is crucial, but I guess it's worth a shot in your case.

And before you jump at the big name school, do yourself a favor and figure out what kind of money you're going to have to fork over to pay off those loans. Just make that a part of your consideration. Look at it as an investment unless you're wanting to go into research.
 
About the Ads