Is a career of exploring potential nootropic benefits of substances that are currently regarded as illicit possible in academic neuropsychiatry??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LebronManning

MS-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Examples (might be completely implausible but just to give an idea of what i mean):
-Pure cocaine microdosing instead of amphetamine/methylphenidate for ADHD.
-LSD/Psilocybin or MDMA microdosing instead of SSRI for depression

Does the government allow you to conduct studies like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Lol qué?

Might wanna ask in the psych forum, bud.

Examples (might be completely implausible but just to give an idea of what i mean):

Yes. You have to get a special license to store dangerous and addictive drugs, there are huge hurdles by IRBs and requirements for double locked cabinets, you'll be working agains the current and all eyes will be on you, but yes, such things are done.

But I'd ask you, why bother? Why not help advance a better SSRI, or a better treatment for ADHD? Why wallow in these dirty drugs (in terms of side effects)? These are recreational drugs that have their own place. And depression, ADHD have very good treatments already, so you're left with adjunctive or with those who are non-responders. Not worth it, but obviously I'm not writing the funding checks.

I actually think if you have a valid biochemical/physiological/neuro basis and ‘ proof of concept’ for this, you should go ahead; esp if there no one has already done it. Sounds like a good idea to me tbh.
Obviously as mentioned above, it’s not gonna be easy getting approvals and funding!