Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.3x cGPA; 3.1x sGPA - BS in Biology
-Applying broadly, mostly to DO schools next cycle.
-cGPA last 60+ credits: 3.6x; sGPA last 60 credits: 3.6x. Around 50 credits of the last 60 were science classes including cellular biology, pharmacology, endocrinology, organic chemistry, physics, and several other upper-division science classes.
-1,000+ clinical hours as CNA; shadowing and non-clinical volunteering set-up for the next year.

Expecting an A in a summer course ending next week to bring my GPA for the last 60+ credits to a high 3.6x. I am studying to take the MCAT in January and have that spring semester to take more classes or work. I am on the fence about taking more upper division science classes in spring 2020 to boost my GPA further. A 4.0 in that semester would put my GPA for the last 70 credits to above a 3.7 as I am currently sitting just below that. Have I done enough reinvention to override my poor GPA from my first couple of years of college? I know it is highly contingent on my MCAT score as well. Assuming I score above average on the MCAT for DO schools (shooting for at least 508, but hopefully 510+), will another semester of upper-division biology courses, and a contingent GPA increase be significantly beneficial for me? Or, would my time and finances be better served studying more for the MCAT for a later test date, working, shadowing, and volunteering?

EDIT: Or, is success in a more serious overhaul such as a more extensive DIY post-bacc or SMP required to make a difference?
It's not clear when you are graduating to me so I am guessing you are going to graduate spring 2020.

This is why you network with schools, students, and admissions staff. You are a good candidate but probably not so outstanding without some help or attention. Your recent coursework GPA should be helpful but not a real guarantee for MD programs. I also don't know about your extracurricular activities and community service to see if you got with service- or mission-oriented programs.

Members don't see this ad.

As your intent is to apply primarily to DO med schools, I think you've already demonstrated sufficient academic prowess to satisfy them, as well as some MD schools, if you can muster a strong MCAT performance.
I agree, but when app season comes around, apply to an SMP just in case, along with the list of DO and MD schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.