is a full summer too much for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardworker101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning to take no class in summer and just study MCAT all summer, all day, maybe little work in research lab early in morning.
Am I making this test way harder than it is? Is the full summer too much that makes me crazy at end?
Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds fine.

If you are planning to study on your own then 5-6 hours per day is perfect starting in mid May.

That's what I did with the Kaplan course.

For this past August MCAT I studied about 5-6 hours per evening/night for a little over a month using a kaplan book, a tpr book, my old text books and class notes, and the AAMC tests.
The whole summer is plenty long, and I don't think it's too long. Just make sure it's quality time - there's no point deceiving yourself.

arminshivazad said:
I was planning to take no class in summer and just study MCAT all summer, all day, maybe little work in research lab early in morning.
Am I making this test way harder than it is? Is the full summer too much that makes me crazy at end?
Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Most people don't have the full summer to spend exclusively on the MCAT, so you will be at the high end. But I would have loved to have had that option -- I say do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about doing the same thing. I was also planning on taking time off from work for 4 weeks before the MCAT.
It's a great idea if you can afford it.
Good luck

I used to always sit in the same area in the library this summer when I was studying and now I can't go near there.....freaks me out.....good thing our library has 12 floors. lol.

I have taken the MCAT in both April and August. Amazingly, even though I had the entire summer to study and felt like I put in more time than I did for the first go-around, I actually went DOWN a point scorewise. Lol. Still got in, but that was quite odd to me...lol.

5-6hrs a day for 3 months...you're all crazy... :laugh:...but seriously thats crazy..

you guys are gonna chew me up, but im starting in January for the august test, you know a good 2-3 hrs a week before summer when I go really in depth...let the criticizing begin!

My plan way very similar to yours!

I did about two months of studying for 5-6 hours a day for the Aug MCAT. I was burnt-out by the first week of August and had to tone it down to two hours a day until the test. I still did well, but I went crazy waiting for my score because my verbal was fluctuating between 8-10 during the last week. I think if you do small productive chunks of studying over a couple of months (e.g. 3 hours a day max), you should do fine. Doing lots of diags would be most helpful if you were to start early, but don't overdo it. Overconfidence or burnout can kill you on test day! Good Luck!

its not too much...

BUT, be warned! make sure you make up a study schedule and stick with it! summers themselves are spectacular free time eaters, and research labs have a hefty appetite themselves. I had the exact same plan as you! but ended up being handed my own project in my lab, and was soon in the lab 9am-7pm+ most of the week. My spectacular study plan went unused, i didnt even crack a book, and when august rolled around i freaked, i went ahead and took 3r to see if it was worth showing up for the test or if i should just lose my 100 bucks, i did well, decided id go take the test, but would void if i was the least bit unhappy with my performance, so with the reassurance of my 3r score, i left for the beech for a week with my gf hah. Came back, took the exam, and choked when it came time to void! i just couldnt do it! i was to curious to know how id done. i later wanted to kill myself for my incredibly stupid mistake, and then repressed the memory of the event. Luckily i got a 31. :) but i cant wait to retake this april. im going to kill this test ;) good luck! but be careful not to lose track of whats important!

It depends a lot on who you are and how disciplined you are.

I studied 40-50 hrs/week from the end of May through the Wednesday before the MCAT. I was also teaching MCAT courses, so my life was pretty much MCAT.

I was never sorry that I spent that much time on it, and I did really well. I did not feel I had the luxury of screwing up the first time.

Some people would go crazy studying that much. Some people don't need to. Some people don't mind taking it twice.

Because I was teaching, I had to review the material at a set pace, with strict deadlines. That really helped. I'm not sure how I would have done without that structure.

you'll be fine.

i met this girl at one of my interviews who took orgo all summer long and was studying for the mcat. she made a 35.

just be disciplined about your study habits.