1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is a grant a scholarship?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Daydream46, May 15, 2008.

1. Daydream46

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I have a academic scholarship... but in addition...

Junior year I was "given/awarded" a grant for being a a science major and poor (a "single" mother at the time) with a GPA above 3.

Is that really an award to put? or is it just sorta lame...

More info:

The National Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent Grant, also known as the National Smart Grant is available during the third and fourth years of undergraduate study to full-time students who are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant and who are majoring in physical, life, or computer sciences, mathematics, technology, or engineering or in a foreign language determined critical to national security. The student must also be enrolled in the courses necessary to complete the degree program and to fulfill the requirements of the intended eligible major in addition to maintaining a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 in coursework required for the major. The National SMART Grant award is in addition to the student's Pell Grant award.

2. airsimon

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    No I wouldn't put it... just my opninion. That's like putting a Pell grant on there... not too "presitigous" :D

3. Daydream46

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Guess I shouldn't put "Daddy's Little Girl" either, Haha.. Thanks a bunch! I really value the info all the SDNers have to offer

4. riograndegal

Medical Student
    Yeah I wouldn't put in either. It sounds pretty lame.

5. It's like having a personal coach help you through everything. I agree, this forum is extremely helpful, especially today.

6. airsimon

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I wish I knew what SDN was when I was about to submit my application!