Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is a GRE reqired in addition to an MCAT for a MD-PhD Program?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MysticHealer, Oct 24, 2001.

1. MysticHealer

MysticHealer Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So, I'm a Junior and i'm in the process of looking at medical schools. My current intrest is in applying to a MD-PhD program. I was wondering if anyone here knows if i need to take the GRE's in addition to the MCAT to apply.

Thanks,
    Mike
    ps I already took the MCAT :confused:

2. jephyboy

jephyboy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

No, for almost all the programs that I know of, GRE's are optional. Only take the GRE's if you know that you can do really well on it (otherwise, it would make a good MCAT look worse). But doing well on the GRE's won't necessarily make up for a sub-par MCAT.

3. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

You should check with each school. Some do require GRE for MD/PhD. University of Pennsylvania does, Penn State does not; UCLA does, UCSD does not, USC highly recommends it; UMDNJ-RWJ does, UMDNJ-NJMD does not. And so it goes. If you have a premedical advisor, the advisor's office should have a book, the one I used, giving the information for every medical school.

4. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

Welcome back, gower. Nice to hear from you again! --Trek

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Rumit

Rumit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just a correction. The UCLA MSTP FAQ says that they do NOT require the GRE for acceptance.

Later,

Adam

6. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Okay, I'm going to need proof that the University of Pennsylvania requires GRE scores for MD/PhD. I'm looking at their online MD/PhD secondary right now and it specifically says "GRE Test Scores (Optional)." Don't scare me like that, guys. I can confirm that Loma Linda requires the GRE for MD/PhD, however,

7. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Michigan requires the GRE for bioengineering but not for the other grad programs, Ohio State STRONGLY recommends the GRE for all graduate programs.

Hopkins also seemed to recommend the GRE, although they did not specifically require it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Rumit

Rumit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Does anyone know if those schools that recommend the GRE think highly of a subject test? I've taken the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology subject test as a senior comp and did really well (better than my MCAT interestingly enough :) ). I'm just hoping that it will be enough in terms of GRE experience for some schools.

Adam

9. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Rumit, the regular med school adcoms would probably not understand its value much, but MD/PhD adcoms probably would. Don't forget, some schools, like UCI, are completely uninterested in all your GRE scores.

10. Fixed Gear

Fixed Gear Highly Acetylated Locus
    7+ Year Member

The bottom line, as I see it, is the GRE can't hurt. A major issue with many MD/PhD programs (according to the only one I am applying to) is to make sure that you are committed to research, you're not just trying to go to medical school for free. In that vein, by taking the GRE, and submitting your scores to the committee, you further your cause as a good MD/PhD candidate. I am taking the GRE general test November 1st- also because a PhD program is my parachute if I don't get into medical school- and the coordinator of the program I am applying to said it would be in my best interest to send them my scores. Different schools want different things. The only way to be sure is to contact the program administrator/coordinator- the person who physically assembles an applicant's admissions materials, and ask them.

11. audeo

audeo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD applicants are not normally expected to take the GRE says Upenn.