Is a "Letter of Interest" email helpful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MercMutt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've sent out secondaries to 8 schools that I'd be thrilled to attend, but there is one in particular that I really, really want - Univ of Washington.

What do you all think about sending a "Letter of Interest" email to them - to let them know they're at the top of my list? I'm typically the type of person to work hard then sit back and let the process work its magic, but I'm wondering if an extra little push might be helpful.

Just wondering what your opinions are about this topic.

Members don't see this ad.

I've sent out secondaries to 8 schools that I'd be thrilled to attend, but there is one in particular that I really, really want - Univ of Washington.

What do you all think about sending a "Letter of Interest" email to them - to let them know they're at the top of my list? I'm typically the type of person to work hard then sit back and let the process work its magic, but I'm wondering if an extra little push might be helpful.

You sent them your application...they know you're interested in them....you and some 10,000 other applicants.

If you aren't a WWAMI resident, I recommend preparing your emotions for bad news.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would go for it unless their website specifically says not to. It might not help, but maybe it will make some little difference, and either way at least you won't wonder if you should have sent one later on..

Reactions: 1 user
I would go for it unless their website specifically says not to. It might not help, but maybe it will make some little difference, and either way at least you won't wonder if you should have sent one later on..

I disagree. UW is one of the best schools in the country at actually pulling off "holistic" review. If you're an in-state applicant, your app is being read cover to cover by no less than 2 executive committee members. If you get one positive review and one negative, your app will be evaluated by a third to break the tie. There is no need to write a LOI pre interview, that is what the secondary is for. One of the questions is: why UW?

Reactions: 1 users
ChopinLiszt & BombsAway, thanks for your responses. :)

I did some further digging on UW's secondary app info and read that "The UW School of Medicine does not accept activity updates or letters of intent."

So thats that.
Thanks again!

ChopinLiszt & BombsAway, thanks for your responses. :)

I did some further digging on UW's secondary app info and read that "The UW School of Medicine does not accept activity updates or letters of intent."

So thats that.
Thanks again!

Yeah, I guess that answers that. Good luck anyway!

General advice for anyone reading this: Unless a school specifically says they accept "Interest" letters, don't send them. One of the only appropriate times for you to send any such letter is if you have an acceptance in hand but a waitlist from a program you'd rather attend. When a school is determining its waitlist rank, they want applicants they know will accept the offer. Showing that you're willing to wait and give up an acceptance for them can make a difference. Other than that, like Goro said, every school you applied to knows your interested since you spent the time and $$$ to apply.

General advice for anyone reading this: Unless a school specifically says they accept "Interest" letters, don't send them. One of the only appropriate times for you to send any such letter is if you have an acceptance in hand but a waitlist from a program you'd rather attend. When a school is determining its waitlist rank, they want applicants they know will accept the offer. Showing that you're willing to wait and give up an acceptance for them can make a difference. Other than that, like Goro said, every school you applied to knows your interested since you spent the time and $$$ to apply.

Most schools don't care where you got accepts too, unless you're either a superstar worth poaching from another school, or one holding an accept at a much higher caliber school than the one you actually want to go to. Drexel won't care if you're holding an accept at Wake or VCU.

And as for "knowing you'll accept the offer"...see https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/loi-and-interviews.1252832/#post-18849958 for a classic example of why most Admissions deans treat LOI as lies.

Most schools don't care where you got accepts too, unless you're either a superstar worth poaching from another school, or one holding an accept at a much higher caliber school than the one you actually want to go to. Drexel won't care if you're holding an accept at Wake or VCU.

And as for "knowing you'll accept the offer"...see https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/loi-and-interviews.1252832/#post-18849958 for a classic example of why most Admissions deans treat LOI as lies.
True. Which I why I framed it (or at least I tried) in the context of already having an acceptance in hand at School A and already being on the waitlist at School B. Obviously you're going to be "interested" in any school you've interviewed esp if you don't already have an acceptance.

And maybe you can clarify, after March, cam AdComs see the outside admissions status of those they've interviewed or just those they've accepted?

True. Which I why I framed it (or at least I tried) in the context of already having an acceptance in hand at School A and already being on the waitlist at School B. Obviously you're going to be "interested" in any school you've interviewed esp if you don't already have an acceptance.

And maybe you can clarify, after March, cam AdComs see the outside admissions status of those they've interviewed or just those they've accepted?
I think that the wise @gonnif or @gyngyn can best answer the latter question. I'm hazy on the details.

As I and others have said many time, the only time an acceptance at X has leverage over a wait list at Y (and you want to go to Y) is if X is a much better school than Y, or you're a superstar.

As I and others have said many time, the only time an acceptance at X has leverage over a wait list at Y (and you want to go to Y) is if X is a much better school than Y, or you're a superstar.
staring April the AAMC releases the National Acceptance Report where every school can see every acceptance for every applicant
Thank you both. I wasn't trying to say that an acceptance should be used as leverage, but more so that the "intent" is carries just a bit more sincerity since you're not some desperate SOB taking their first interview in February.

Thank you both. I wasn't trying to say that an acceptance should be used as leverage, but more so that the "intent" is carries just a bit more sincerity since you're not some desperate SOB taking their first interview in February.
How would you interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant???

How would you interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant???
I get it. I've heard your soapbox on this before. However, there are some schools that do actual allow/encourage this so there stands to be more of a conversation than a dismissive reply.

Programs need to build and rank their waitlist. For those that encourage Intent Letters (Jefferson comes to mind), saying that you would rescind a current acceptance if they pulled you off waitlist, means something to them insofar as they can put a higher likelihood on an applicant they may have dismissed as not accepting based on seeing their other acceptances. Again, to what extent varies on the program. But those words were paraphrased exactly from an AdCom.

I get it. I've heard your soapbox on this before. However, there are some schools that do actual allow/encourage this so there stands to be more of a conversation than a dismissive reply.

Programs need to build and rank their waitlist. For those that encourage Intent Letters (Jefferson comes to mind), saying that you would rescind a current acceptance if they pulled you off waitlist, means something to them insofar as they can put a higher likelihood on an applicant they may have dismissed as not accepting based on seeing their other acceptances. Again, to what extent varies on the program. But those words were paraphrased exactly from an AdCom.
I agree that there are some needy schools, or those that like to see applicants grovel. Thankfully, they are in the minority.