Is a letter of recommendation from an ecology professor okay as the science letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joker937

UCLA SOD 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I want to ask my ecology professor for a letter of recommendation, a class in which I had received an A. However, does ecology count as a science class? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I want to ask my ecology professor for a letter of recommendation, a class in which I had received an A. However, does ecology count as a science class? Thanks!
If you were an adcom, would you place more weight on an lor from a bio, g. chem, organic, biochemistry professor or would you settle for one from an ecology prof?

I had an ecology professor write an LOR for me and I was accepted to two schools. Not sure what what university you attended for undergrad but at the University of Kentucky, ecology was a required course for a biology degree and very much a part of the biology department. An instructor for an ecology course is a biology professor as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing wrong with having an ecology professor write you a letter. One of my letters is from an professor I took for evolution and conservation biology (similar to ecology). If the professor knows you well and can speak to the quality of your work and character, then he/she should be a good choice.

If you were an adcom, would you place more weight on an lor from a bio, g. chem, organic, biochemistry professor or would you settle for one from an ecology prof?

If you were a student would you want to get an excellent recommendation from the ecology professor or a mediocre recommendation from a core science professor? OP probably knows OF COURSE having an excellent recommendation from a professor who taught a core science course is the best way.... the question you're asking is like asking "is it better to get an A in an easy class or a B in a really hard class?" OF COURSE it's better to have A's in all the classes no duh... OP probably asked this question because he/she did really well and stood out in the ecology class to get a strong LOR from the ecology professor rather than ask someone who taught a class in which he/she didn't do as well as in ecology, or maybe it was difficult to get in touch with a core science professor, who knows? OP probably asked this question in order to choose the best option out of whatever he/she has currently....

Just saying, because you sounded as if you were trolling the OP for asking such a "nonsensical" question. I thought it was a legit question.

Reactions: 5 users
If you were a student would you want to get an excellent recommendation from the ecology professor or a mediocre recommendation from a core science professor? OP probably knows OF COURSE having an excellent recommendation from a professor who taught a core science course is the best way.... the question you're asking is like asking "is it better to get an A in an easy class or a B in a really hard class?" OF COURSE it's better to have A's in all the classes no duh... OP probably asked this question because he/she did really well and stood out in the ecology class to get a strong LOR from the ecology professor rather than ask someone who taught a class in which he/she didn't do as well as in ecology, or maybe it was difficult to get in touch with a core science professor, who knows? OP probably asked this question in order to choose the best option out of whatever he/she has currently....
Just saying, because you sounded as if you were trolling the OP for asking such a "nonsensical" question. I thought it was a legit question.
Aunt Hilda could probably write an lor to die for, but that is not quite what adcoms have in mind. The OP likely was wondering whether or not the lor he/she would rather have is tantamount to shooting oneself in the foot.

Last edited:
The advice i was always given was to ask the professor that knows you the best. Ideally, a core science professor is what you want...but sometimes that isn't an option. Adcoms want to see who you are from the eyes of another person. I'd go with that ecology professor if you think they can write you an excellent LOR.