Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Is a Master Degree necessary?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by VFElf, Apr 30, 2002.

1. VFElf

VFElf Junior Member

Hi,

I just got the email from the Dean of admission. He told me that in order to get an interview, I need to improve my MCAT score and I might consider of getting a Master Degree. Well, I know that my Mcat score is not that high but my undergraduate science gpa is good enough. I don't want to give up my present work and spend two years to get a master. What do you guys think about this ?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GATC

GATC Member

What is your GPA?

4. Taty

Taty Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Whats your GPA?

5. VFElf

VFElf Junior Member

My GPA is 3.70 and MCAT is 29 (6VR, 12PS, 11BS).

6. rpames

rpames Optometrist

Optometrist
    With those scores, you shouldn't have a problem getting into alot of schools. Harvard, JH, Yale, and some state, but not most other. Did you apply to more than one?

The VR score is probably what the problem is, someone else on SDN said some schools cut you off at 7.

7. VFElf

VFElf Junior Member

I am sure that the VR score pulls me back this year. I am going to take the MCAT again this year. But getting a master degree will be a mess for me. Imagine GRE, apply, and the tuition fee. It will probably take more than two years to get these things done.

8. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    you do not need a masters, that's ridiculous. The average gpa of matriculants is 3.6! I have a 3.67 and the dean at USF also suggested I get a masters (my science gpa is 3.5), but I think he just had nothing else to say, in addition to retaking the mcats. What's your science gpa Velf? I do think that the verbal score may be what's holding you back.

9. VFElf

VFElf Junior Member

my sci gpa is 3.70

The US NEWS mention that the average GPA for top med schools are above 3.80. Do they mean the science pre-requisite or what ? Personally I do not think there are so many students with such high average GPA.

10. Mr. Z

Mr. Z Senior Member

hello everyone,

I think what the dean might be driving at is the research aspect of the application, not the gpa. Your gpa is obviously more than adequate, if its not I don't know what is. But, having significant research experience demonstrates many traits that are considered desirable in a doctor. The process of doing research demonstrates that you have the ability to formulate novel ideas and questions, and that you can develop sound experiments to explore and back up your ideas. Publications that result from your research, show the quality of your work, your ability to communicate, your desire and aptitude to work at the frontiers of science etc... As I'm sure you know, all of these things are very important to medicine and science in general, so I can see why the Dean would recommend that you go for the master's. Now, do I think it's absolutely necessary that you get a master's... No way!! Though I am biased towards getting them, I'm working on mine now and have found the experience to be invaluable.

If you're just looking for the quick fix, I think its pretty obvious that your verbal score needs to come up about 3 pts or so. If you are able to do that, no doubt you'll have to choose from multi acceptances. But, speaking from experience, the master's degree holds many, many benefits. I'm glad I went for the grad degree, it will make me a better doctor in the long run.

Good luck to ya
    Mr.Z

11. EpiII

EpiII Senior Member

I would caution against taking one dean's opinion and changing your life for that. I have received some very bad advice from people intimately involved with the admissions process before. You have to know when to ignore it and when to accept it.

One of the admissions office staff members at UCSF told me to start my personal statement like this, "I am an average white male that has done some extraordinary things...". I decided that this was bad advice, although I did make some other modifications that he suggested. I am attending his school next year.

I think if you improve your verbal score you are fine. I think a master's degree should come from who you are not as a way to get into med school.