t2oo5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Right now I am contemplating whether or not to add a minor to my cirriculum. I am a Biochem/Premed Major, and I do have an interest in Philosophy. Do you think, from an applicant point of view, its worth the extra time to take the extra classes to obtain a minor in Philosophy? I basically only would like to do it if it has enough weight vs. effort for an applicaton. Im going into my sophomore year. Thanks for the input!

legobikes

bikes made of lego
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status
Medical Student
t2oo5 said:
Right now I am contemplating whether or not to add a minor to my cirriculum. I am a Biochem/Premed Major, and I do have an interest in Philosophy. Do you think, from an applicant point of view, its worth the extra time to take the extra classes to obtain a minor in Philosophy? I basically only would like to do it if it has enough weight vs. effort for an applicaton. Im going into my sophomore year. Thanks for the input!
the exta courses you would take as a phil minor might make you look more 'well-rounded' (although you could fulfil these requirements just as easily without minoring in them through soc/psyc/anthro/criminology). maybe look at the difference between the humanities courses you have taken/plan to take just as a biochem major versus the ones you would take as a phil minor and decide.

oh and there's no such thing as a premed major.

OP
T

t2oo5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status
Medical Student
legobikes said:
oh and there's no such thing as a premed major.
I know, but at my school theres two tracks of biochem: pre-medical, or research, and I thought I would add Im pre-med...

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
It certainly couldn't hurt, but I doubt it will add that much weight to your AMCAS application. A rule of thumb though: if your sole motivation for anything time-consuming these next few years is just to attempt to influence an admission comittee, don't do it. Your time will be better spent elsewhere with something that actually excites you.

Vox Animo

Runs with Scissors
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I'd be careful, i don't think there were any good philosphers that were doctors.

:D

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Vox Animo said:
I'd be careful, i don't think there were any good philosphers that were doctors.

Yikes. I know a physician who has a doctorate in bioethics (a branch of philosophy) ... he's an excellent physician... I presume he is an equally good philosopher. :smuggrin:

If philosophy interests you, it will make your list of courses look "well rounded" and include enough upper level courses to look like you have "depth" as well as "breadth" in your undergrad education. It will also make you a deeper, clearer thinker and communicator (Think MCAT verbal & writing scores). If the courses sound fun and challenging, OP, go for it.

Dr.Acula

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm a bio major, and to pick up a chem minor i have to take like 3/4 more classes (pchem and anayltical i think). Is is worth it?

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Dr.Acula said:
I'm a bio major, and to pick up a chem minor i have to take like 3/4 more classes (pchem and anayltical i think). Is is worth it?
It's only worth it if it will make you or your parents proud. Med schools won't care much -- only take more of these classes classes if you are an intense science jock and your BCPM needs a boost.

M

Mr. McDuck

Vox Animo said:

John Locke...Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr....

Dr. Pepper

Duffman in Disguise
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Behind the orange juice....
Status
Medical Student
Dr Durden said:
It certainly couldn't hurt, but I doubt it will add that much weight to your AMCAS application. A rule of thumb though: if your sole motivation for anything time-consuming these next few years is just to attempt to influence an admission comittee, don't do it. Your time will be better spent elsewhere with something that actually excites you.
I agree with Durden.

If you want to get a minor just for the hell of it, then go ahead.

However, to answer your question, I think minors can only help if they are unrelated to your major.

Ex. A Bio major/ Chem minor won't be favored as much over a Bio major/ Philos. minor.

However, with that said, I doubt it'll make that much of a difference except perhaps you'll have something interesting to say during interviews.
-Dr. P.

bruinboy88

10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status
if i were you, and you were really interested in philosphy, id just take the major. Taking a minor is like a half ass major (which isn't bad) but u might as well go through with the full major by taking a few more classes. This is exactly what i decided to do. im a psych major and just decided to double into sociology.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
bruinboy88 said:
if i were you, and you were really interested in philosphy, id just take the major. Taking a minor is like a half ass major (which isn't bad) but u might as well go through with the full major by taking a few more classes. This is exactly what i decided to do. im a psych major and just decided to double into sociology.
It also depends on how interested you truly are in the subject. I'm probably going to go for a history minor on top of my bio major, because I am interested in history. But honestly, I'm much more interested in science as a whole, and I really don't think I could do all the classes required for a history major, especially think up another topic to write a huge paper on (I wrote a research paper in high school in history for my diploma). Double majoring in history would be painful, because most of my humanities credits for gen ed wouldn't count anymore.

dwigt

Assistant^RegionalManager
10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2006
TX
Status
Medical Student
Zuerst said:
Minors...? I don't think it's worth it, I mean you might go to jail if someone finds out.
:laugh:
probably have a hard time getting into a pediatrics program after that...