Is a pain medicine residency ever going to happen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strider_91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
currently work in pain medicine and like it a lot. starting Med school in August. One of the younger docs in the practice told me by the time I am done there may be a pain residency....any shot of this happening?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
currently work in pain medicine and like it a lot. starting Med school in August. One of the younger docs in the practice told me by the time I am done there may be a pain residency....any shot of this happening?

I asked this a lot on fellowship interviews and the most common answer I got from program directors was that there is basically no funding for a separate residency or even an extension of the fellowship from 1 to 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
I started medical school in 2004. My advisor was the pain chair. When I was an MS1 he told me that by the time I applied to residency, there would likely be integrated pain residencies that I could apply to.

13 years later, I doubt that it will ever happen.

Reactions: 1 user
I started medical school in 2004. My advisor was the pain chair. When I was an MS1 he told me that by the time I applied to residency, there would likely be integrated pain residencies that I could apply to.

13 years later, I doubt that it will ever happen.

Thank you for all the responses. It is a shame, because it would obviously make sense but I guess like so many other things in life it comes down to the almighty dollar. No money to fund it = will never happen. Also, anesthesia and pm&r programs probably don't want to miss out on their slave labor.

Thank you for all the responses. It is a shame, because it would obviously make sense but I guess like so many other things in life it comes down to the almighty dollar. No money to fund it = will never happen. Also, anesthesia and pm&r programs probably don't want to miss out on their slave labor.

Only a small percentage of anesthesia and even less of a percentage of PMR doctors apply to pain fyi. Not everyone in Anesthesia and PMR go into Pain so regardless of whether pain was its own residency, plenty of people would still be needed in both of those fields.