is a passing usmle step 2 score needed for a limited mich. medical license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godfather

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
quick question for the residents. i took step 2 like 3 weeks ago and am sceduled to start residency on monday. my question is i haven't gotten back my step 2 score nor has my medical school. however after a week of saying that my application for a limited mich medical license was temporaryly on hold i was granted a license so i could start residency on july 1. does this mean the state got my score and i passed step 2 before either i or my medical school got the score back. or does it mean that nobody has gotten the score back yet and that if i failed step 2 the state will revoke my medical license. or does it mean step 2 isn't required in michigan for a limited medical license. if anybody knows please help.

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••<a href="http://www.state.mi.us/orr/emi/admincode.asp?AdminCode=Department&Dpt=CI&Level_1=Bureau+of+Health+Services" target="_blank">From the Michigan Board of Medicine:</a>

R 338.2329a Educational limited licenses.
Rule 29a. (1) An educational limited license authorizes the holder
thereof to engage in the practice of medicine as part of a postgraduate
educational training program.
(2) An applicant for an educational limited license shall submit a
completed application, on a form provided by the department, together with
the requisite fee.
(3) In addition to meeting the other requirements of the code and the
administrative rules promulgated pursuant thereto, an applicant for an
educational limited license from a medical school located in the United
States, its territories, the District of Columbia, or the Dominion of
Canada shall establish both of the following:
(a) That the applicant has graduated, or is expected to graduate within
the following 3 months, from a medical school approved by the board.
(b) That the applicant has been admitted to a training program approved by
the board that is offered at a board-approved hospital or institution.
(4) After December 31, 1988, in addition to meeting the other
requirements of the code and the administrative rules promulgated pursuant
thereto, an applicant for an educational limited license from a medical
school located other than in the United States, its territories, the
District of Columbia, or the Dominion of Canada shall establish all of the
following:
(a) That the applicant has completed the requirements for a degree in
medicine.
(b) That the applicant has been admitted to a training program approved by
the board that is offered at a board-approved hospital or institution.
(c) That the applicant has passed an examination in the basic and
clinical medical sciences conducted by the educational commission for
foreign medical graduates.••••Passing the USMLE Step 2 does appear to be a requirement for a limited license.

hey stinky tofu thanks for the reply. so do you think in my case that i can breathe a little easier in that i must have passed the step 2 and that's why the state has approved my application, or is there still a possibility that the state approved my app but can still revoke my license if my step 2 is not passing. i mean is it possibe for the state to get my step 2 score before me or my medical school is what my question is i guess. anyways i hope they did since this means than that they obviously gave me my license because i passed step 2.

hey stinky tofu thanks for the reply. so do you think in my case that i can breathe a little easier in that i must have passed the step 2 and that's why the state has approved my application, or is there still a possibility that the state approved my app but can still revoke my license if my step 2 is not passing. i mean is it possibe for the state to get my step 2 score before me or my medical school is what my question is i guess. anyways i hope they did since this means than that they obviously gave me my license because i passed step 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, the state doesn't get your score before the medical school (unless your medical school doesn't download the scores every Wednesday). The scores are released on Wednesday (except during the week of July 4 and week of Christmas) so you should be able to call your med school in about 10 days and see if they have your score yet. I really don't know anything about the license though except that you have to graduate from medical school OR be expected to have all graduation requirements done by the time residency starts (ie, sometimes course evaluations take time and some med students finish late having a June rotation as their last one, but usually it's assumed that you passed that rotation) and where I went to school, Step 2 was required to graduate.

From reading the requirements for licensure in Michigan, it seems only IMG are required to have passed Step 2 in order to be granted a temporary license in Michigan.

I think your application was approved because passing Step 2 isn't a requirement. Programs have their own rules regarding passing the boards. My guess it that since you are only there for one year doing a TY or Prelim, your program probably doesn't care. One of the interns in my program was scrambling to take Step 3 when he found out that Columbia's Anesthesia program requires passing Step 3 prior to starting residency.