Is a PhD REALLY necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

50MinuteHour

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to research, publish and lecture. However, I am a licensed master's-level therapist and an overwhelming majority of tenure track positions are for folks with a doctorate.

I would like a PhD to further my career goals. Unfortunately, I was ultimately rejected or waitlisted from the programs I applied to, and I was honestly only passionate about one of those programs. I have moderate experience in research, lecturing, writing and practicing therapy and feel I have what it takes to do the work of someone with a PhD. I could benefit immensely from doctoral training with the right program, but I worry that at this point I may be on my own. I'm confident I could get accepted somewhere but the training experience itself is more important to me than the degree, and I'm just not sure that my interests and aspirations align with many programs. As most of you know, decisions ultimately come down to 'fit'.

I'm wondering, how necessary is a PhD really? Could I still be research, publish and be taken seriously if I were good at what I do without a PhD? Maybe I won't be considered for a tenured position, but I wonder if I could still exert influence on policy and practice in the field with the degree I have now if my work was on-par with that of those with a doctorate. I am super passionate about this work and would like to commit to good work, and I wonder if a degree really does decide to what extent someone can do this.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have ample opportunity to teach, research, and publish.
However, I think it comes down to your interests, and the right department, and ultimately the right fit.
Off the top of my head I can think of two people that I know that worked in a PhD's lab and had lecturer positions. From those positions, they taught courses they desired (and unfortunately sometimes courses no one desired to teach), worked with the grad and undergrad students in the lab, published (typically with the phd whose name was on the lab). Two big downsides- 1- money, 2- upward mobility. But doing that might eventually get you to a place where the right program will take you, if thats really what you're looking for.

I have always wanted to research, publish and lecture. However, I am a licensed master's-level therapist and an overwhelming majority of tenure track positions are for folks with a doctorate.

I would like a PhD to further my career goals. Unfortunately, I was ultimately rejected or waitlisted from the programs I applied to, and I was honestly only passionate about one of those programs. I have moderate experience in research, lecturing, writing and practicing therapy and feel I have what it takes to do the work of someone with a PhD. I could benefit immensely from doctoral training with the right program, but I worry that at this point I may be on my own. I'm confident I could get accepted somewhere but the training experience itself is more important to me than the degree, and I'm just not sure that my interests and aspirations align with many programs. As most of you know, decisions ultimately come down to 'fit'.

I'm wondering, how necessary is a PhD really? Could I still be research, publish and be taken seriously if I were good at what I do without a PhD? Maybe I won't be considered for a tenured position, but I wonder if I could still exert influence on policy and practice in the field with the degree I have now if my work was on-par with that of those with a doctorate. I am super passionate about this work and would like to commit to good work, and I wonder if a degree really does decide to what extent someone can do this.

Thoughts?

For that career track in particular, I think a PhD would help you tremendously both in terms of employment options and general ability.

Members don't see this ad :)
In most academic institutions you need a faculty appointment to be a PI of a research project, but it might be possible in some institutions to get an Instructor or Clinical Instructor position, which might open up more opportunities. Realistically it is probably more feasible to work as a collaborator with a faculty PI, which would not preclude you from publishing, speaking, etc.

You could also try pursuing practice-based research, though the start-up might be a bit difficult (eg, working with an independent IRB, etc.) and in general there are more resources for physicians (practice-based research networks, etc.).

There are also a number of quasi-academic folks who don't have faculty positions but publish, give talks, do the conference circuit, etc. I don't know exactly how they develop those roles but networking seems to be key. You also need to be a superstar presenter that people want to listen to.

One thing I just learned (correct me if I'm wrong) -- specifically about practice-based research -- is that exempt research doesn't have to be deemed exempt by an IRB, so I imagine that providers in private practice can collect anonymous data in aggregate that doesn't affect patient care and publish those data.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In my experience, program evaluation or research you think is exempt must still be taken to the IRB for their final determination. It's a conflict of interest for the researcher to make that call - it's part of the reason for IRBs in the first place.

My understanding was that if an IRB is in place, then they want to know about exempt research, but if not, and the research truly is exempt, then a formal IRB doesn't need to be in place/approve the study. I've never experienced this directly, I was just talking about it briefly with someone the other day.

My understanding was that if an IRB is in place, then they want to know about exempt research, but if not, and the research truly is exempt, then a formal IRB doesn't need to be in place/approve the study. I've never experienced this directly, I was just talking about it briefly with someone the other day.

If you want to publish something as generalizeable knowledge (any outlet) and collect data from human subjects, then IRB approval is required. You can seek out IRBs if you don't have one. That includes conference presentations, journal articles, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to publish something as generalizeable knowledge (any outlet) and collect data from human subjects, then IRB approval is required. You can seek out IRBs if you don't have one. That includes conference presentations, journal articles, etc.
Some universities will provide "outside" review to providers in the community, so they can contribute to the literature while also meeting their ethical considerations. Other times partnering w. a uni/AMC faculty can be the easiest way (particularly if exempt).

Reactions: 1 users