Is a Registered Pharmacy Tech the same as a Certified Pharmacy Tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moni526

Pharm D. Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of this week, I have become a registered pharmacy technician. Is this the same as being certified? I am in FL and now all pharmacies require techs to be certified. I did this registered pharmacy tech deal because that is what my boss told me to do. Is it the same?

Members don't see this ad.

As of this week, I have become a registered pharmacy technician. Is this the same as being certified? I am in FL and now all pharmacies require techs to be certified. I did this registered pharmacy tech deal because that is what my boss told me to do. Is it the same?

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Pharmacy-1407/difference-registered-pharmacy-tech.htm

Question
Hello Mary, my name is Tanisha and I am interested in becoming a pharmacy tech. I was wondering if you could explain to me the difference between a certified pharmacy technician and a registered pharmacy tech. Also, what are the qualification of a pharmacy assistant or is a pharmacy assistant another name for a pharmacy tech.

Answer
Hi, Tanisha!
A certified pharmacy tech is a tech that has taken and passed the national pharmacy tech exam. I've not heard of a registered pharmacy tech. It may be something common in the state you live in. The best way to find out what qualifications are needed is the contact the Board of Pharmacy in your state. Different states have different requirements. Hope this helps, Mary
Expert: Mary E Scott, RPh, CGP

http://www.ehow.com/about_5460304_certified-vs-registered-pharmacy-tech.html

Advantages of Certification
Being a certified pharmacy technician comes with a number of benefits. The first, and most obvious, benefit is that certified pharmacy technicians earn a higher wage---as much as $1 to $3 per hour more than a registered technician. Many states require that all pharmacy technicians be certified, so achieving certification can broaden a person's job prospects.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091015122204AAbaSse

Resolved Question
What is the difference between a licensed and a registered pharmacy tech?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

If you take the class and pass the pharmacy tech exam, you will be considered a registered CPhT. After you obtain that, you can apply for your CPhT license through your home state. Hope this helps!!
Source(s):
CPhT--5 years

What did you do to get registered? If it involves becoming certified, then yes. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you do to get registered? If it involves becoming certified, then yes. :)

I was sent to a website, paid $105, and then a few days later, I was able to print out my registration. lol It was quick for me because I had 1500+ hours of experience though, I am not sure how it would have been if I didn't.

I was in the same situation you were in but I didn't have the hours so this is what I figured out. I still have to take the certification test through PTCB.

The registration process is done through the Florida Dept. of Health. Im guessing you were at this website:
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy/ph_lic_req.html

They required that you either take a certification class, go to a tech school, or have had 1500 hours of experience.

The certification you are talking about is through PTCB:

https://www.ptcb.org//AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home1

So long story short. They are 2 completely different things. And no your not certified. :oops:

In Oklahoma it is not the same. Registered means you are registered with the Oklahoma State Board of Pharmacy and if you are certified your are Nationally Certified. Means you took an extra test. In Oklahoma you only have to be registered with OSBP. your best bet is to ask your pharmacist or another tech you work with.

I was sent to a website, paid $105, and then a few days later, I was able to print out my registration. lol It was quick for me because I had 1500+ hours of experience though, I am not sure how it would have been if I didn't.

Lol... you paid 105 for something useless. Unless you took an exam testing your pharmacy knowledge, you may as well have walked around with a bill and a 5.

I worked at a private pharmacy and most the techs were not certified, once they were hired the company paid for them to get registered with the state. To be certified you have to take the PTCB and that will allow you to work in any pharmacy regaurdless of the state. Its usually not that common for pharmacies to hire pharm tech with no certification, unless they are small or private like mine. Taking the PTCB is very helpful and its not that hard at all, then you can apply to any phamacy thats hiring and know you have a good chance at getting the job. Although I dont live in FL, but pretty sure its the same. Certification is national and registered is only with the state.

I worked at a private pharmacy and most the techs were not certified, once they were hired the company paid for them to get registered with the state. To be certified you have to take the PTCB and that will allow you to work in any pharmacy regaurdless of the state. Its usually not that common for pharmacies to hire pharm tech with no certification, unless they are small or private like mine. Taking the PTCB is very helpful and its not that hard at all, then you can apply to any phamacy thats hiring and know you have a good chance at getting the job. Although I dont live in FL, but pretty sure its the same. Certification is national and registered is only with the state.

I work in a private one too. And I'm not sure if there is a point in me taking the PTCB at this point because I will be a pharmacy intern in August, so for that little of a time, I feel it is pointless to put myself through that hell of taking another big expensive test. But thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help guys. I am just gonna stick to being registered for now because i will be an intern in August.

To my understanding, a registered pharmacy tech and certified pharmacy tech are not the same. A registered pharmacy tech is a pharm tech that is recognized in the state that you registered in. A certified pharmacy tech is one who passed the PTCB.

Since I got accepted to the pharmacy school in Virginia and will be attending in August, I have decided to not registerd with the state of CA as a pharm tech. Plan A was: get accepted by a pharmacy school in 2010. Plan B was: if I do not get accepted, then work as a pharmacy tech in CA in 2010. I went through a pharm tech class from Aug 2009 - Dec 2009 as a backup plan but since plan A worked, I'll stick to the orginal plan.

I bought Mosby's Review for the PTCB to study, but I am still deciding whether I should take this test. What do you guys think? Should I take the PTCB next month or should I just hold it off since I'll be attending pharmacy school in August? I don't plan to move to VA until June or July, and I currently have a job (not related to pharmacy).
Plan 1: Just relax, work, and save up $$$ to move to VA.
Plan 2: Study for the PTCB, take PTCB, work, move to VA, registered as a pharm tech in VA, try to look for a pharm tech job in VA

You're already in and have a job, therefore I think you should elect not to take it. It'll be useless once you're in school... and you should be able to get your $ back.

You're already in and have a job, therefore I think you should elect not to take it. It'll be useless once you're in school... and you should be able to get your $ back.

But the laws just changed in FL and you have to have this to be able to work in a pharmacy. I mean yeah I have a job now and this is what my boss said I had to do to be legit. But I agree in the fact that there is no point for me to get certified because come August, I will be an intern.

But the laws just changed in FL and you have to have this to be able to work in a pharmacy. I mean yeah I have a job now and this is what my boss said I had to do to be legit. But I agree in the fact that there is no point for me to get certified because come August, I will be an intern.

Well sure, it's the same in CA also (For everything but "clerk"). But, a total waste for you my friend!

Well sure, it's the same in CA also (For everything but "clerk"). But, a total waste for you my friend!

Too many illegal drug dealers mixing with the legal ones... hence the registration mandates. CPhT is a growing trend - Look for this to become a national standard in the next 10 yrs.

You will be allowed to work for 1yr as a "registered" technician - but you will have to sit for your cert exam prior to completing your 1st yr.