Dec 4, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
It's my first semester of college, and I have straight A's and A-'s in my gen eds except for Chem 1. There's a good chance I'll end up with a 72 (possibly a bit lower depending on the final) simply because I wasn't mature enough to develop my study habits before it was too late to "save" the grade. I knew college would be a heavier load, and I've definitely put forth the effort now but it's not going to do much for my gen chem grade at this point.

Would you recommend I move on to gen chem 2 and retake 1 later, or should I immediately retake 1 next semester? A retake is probably necessary at this point, but I'd really appreciate some extra opinions. Also, how detrimental will this be to my application?

Last edited:

Fedxup

5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I say, it is your first semester no need to retake. Move on. Show an upwards trend and you will be fine. Later, if you find that you are not performing too well in your science classes and say get C's in 4 or 5 classes then I would retake a few. At this point just move along and take Chem 2. Medical schools tend to look at the last two years more.

OP
inhumanbean
Dec 4, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for your reply! Sorry, I forgot I posted this and never came back to check.

Sorry to bring this back, but things went south with this class. I ended up with a D+. I'm just finishing my retake, and it looks like I'm escaping with a B+. How bad does it look that even after retaking I still didn't get an A..?

Also, is a B/B+ acceptable for a retake as long as I do well right away in gen chem 2 and in future upper level courses?

DoctorCupcake

5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
A B+/B is perfectly fine. I certainly wouldn't recommend slipping below that for a retake.

Jun 14, 2012
Status
Medical Student
You can always retake over the summer. You will then have gen chem 2 under your belt.

AlbinoHawk DO

An Osteopath
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2013
Status
Non-Student
Thank you for your reply! Sorry, I forgot I posted this and never came back to check.

Sorry to bring this back, but things went south with this class. I ended up with a D+. I'm just finishing my retake, and it looks like I'm escaping with a B+. How bad does it look that even after retaking I still didn't get an A..?

Also, is a B/B+ acceptable for a retake as long as I do well right away in gen chem 2 and in future upper level courses?
One or two retake with a B is not a death sentence if your other grades are good. Just move on and don't let it happen again.