Is a science LOR still necessary if a school doesn't specifically require it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icy14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's generally assumed that most schools require 1, if not 2, LORs from science professors. However, I checked the 11 schools I'm applying to and actually NONE of them specifically require it. Is it an "unwritten rule" that you should still include a letter from a science professor even if it's not specified?

I have 3 strong LORs: 1) supervisor of gap-year research job, 2) PI/MD I've worked on multiple research projects/written papers with, 3) Spanish professor I took 2 courses with and worked for as a TA/assistant. These alone fulfill the requirements at almost every school on my list. I do plan on getting a science letter as well, but it won't be very strong since I've been out of school several years and never got to know any science profs during undergrad.

2 schools on my list require 2 letters from professors (but not specified which kind), so I'm planning to only use my science letter for those schools. For the rest, is it okay to just use my 3 strong letters, as long as they fulfill the requirements? Or will it be looked down upon that I didn't have a science letter?

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine most schools, while maybe not requiring it, would prefer to have a letter from a science professor to reflect your ability to deal with the rigor of science classes. For the schools that don't require it, I would take a look at the max number of letters you are allowed to send. For instance, one school may say only send 3, while another says up to 5. For the school that says up to 5, I see no issue with lumping the science letter in with the other 3 just in case. For the ones that say 3, I would really take a look at their requirements and make absolutely sure it isn't needed (a phone call or email doesn't hurt).

Reactions: 1 user
I would highly recommend submitting 1 science LOR at minimum, preferably 2.

Even if it's not required, how is it going to look when you have zero science letters and other applicants have multiple? I was a non-science major and still had 2 science letters.

Also, if you can, meet with the science professor you mentioned and try to get to know them, show interest, etc. in order to try to make that letter as strong as possible.

I would imagine most schools, while maybe not requiring it, would prefer to have a letter from a science professor to reflect your ability to deal with the rigor of science classes. For the schools that don't require it, I would take a look at the max number of letters you are allowed to send. For instance, one school may say only send 3, while another says up to 5. For the school that says up to 5, I see no issue with lumping the science letter in with the other 3 just in case. For the ones that say 3, I would really take a look at their requirements and make absolutely sure it isn't needed (a phone call or email doesn't hurt).

True. I suppose I could just include the science letter with the other 3 if there's another spot. But, don't my grades already prove that I can handle the rigor of difficult science courses? I got all A's in ochem, biochem, physics, etc.