is a significant other significant to others?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syn_apse

Registered Loser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my girlfriend is a medical student at one of the dental schools i am applying to. i have a lot of other reasons to attend this school which i will articulate during my interview; however, i want them to know about this personal reason as well. obviously there is no category on an adcom's scoresheet for this situation. do you think they might still take it into consideration?

can anybody else relate to my situation? i would like to hear your thoughts/experiences

thanks and best of luck to everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

If they view you as a strong candidate but had other reasons to believe you would accept elsewhere, then it would help. I would guess that schools like to extend offers to people that they know they can sign up. My wife moved me to Nebraska and the schools here know that I am not going anywhere else, so they likely feel that they can extend an offer to me with a high probability of acceptance versus folks from the East or West Coast.

syn_apse said:
my girlfriend is a medical student at one of the dental schools i am applying to. i have a lot of other reasons to attend this school which i will articulate during my interview; however, i want them to know about this personal reason as well. obviously there is no category on an adcom's scoresheet for this situation. do you think they might still take it into consideration?

can anybody else relate to my situation? i would like to hear your thoughts/experiences

thanks and best of luck to everybody!

bpenly brings up a good point. It would indeed suggest that you carry a greater commitment.

However, it is also extremely important that you show your passion for THAT school, for your OWN reasons. I feel like I'm in a similar situation because my dad is a dentist, and I try to find a balance between explaining why I specifically and independently chose dentistry for my OWN reasons, and how growing up in a dental office has indeed offered influence and prepared me for what to expect.

For this reason, I often speak emphatically about my own wishes and reasons for doing things, and then use the personal connection as added support. So they would see you as a candidate who KNOWS their school is perfect for you, and then who says that they absolutely need to live in that city on top of all those reasons! If you are worried about it looking petty to highlight your girlfriend, highlight that for personal reasons, you absolutely need and would love to live in that area and go to that school.

thanks for the feedback bpenly and imfillingfine! i'll definitely make sure to stress why that school is a good fit for me (which it is) before i mention my personal reasons.

anybody else in a similar situation?