Is a SMP right for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jabjab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started at a cc then transferred to a top 20 school. My overall combined cgpa is 3.77 and my combined sgpa is 3.7. I got a P12V11B12 on the MCAT. However, my gpa after transferring is lower than my cc gpa. This is due to a very bad first quarter after transfer. Now my gpa at the 4 year is 3.39. 5 of the 7 quarters I have been here have had above 3.7 quarter gpas, but the first quarter really pulls the overall gpa down (all upper div physics classes that I struggled with). Should I apply for an SMP to prove that I can hack tough class material? Or should I apply to schools that accept people with around a 3.4 gpa? Or should I apply to schools that have a 3.7 average accepted gpa, as that is my overall gpa?

Thanks for the input

Members don't see this ad.

Dude you don't need to spend $50k with a 3.4 GPA and a 35 MCAT.

As long as you have extra currics you should be golden. I mean, sure the average accepted GPA is 3.6-3.7, but your MCAT should make up for that just fine. There's no reason to spend an entire year, AND accrue that much debt.

Apply broadly, apply early (the early part is critical). You'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started at a cc then transferred to a top 20 school. My overall combined cgpa is 3.77 and my combined sgpa is 3.7. I got a P12V11B12 on the MCAT. However, my gpa after transferring is lower than my cc gpa. This is due to a very bad first quarter after transfer. Now my gpa at the 4 year is 3.39. 5 of the 7 quarters I have been here have had above 3.7 quarter gpas, but the first quarter really pulls the overall gpa down (all upper div physics classes that I struggled with). Should I apply for an SMP to prove that I can hack tough class material? Or should I apply to schools that accept people with around a 3.4 gpa? Or should I apply to schools that have a 3.7 average accepted gpa, as that is my overall gpa?

Thanks for the input
Take upper-level bio at your university to prove you can hack med school-like coursework. No need for an SMP. Your upward grade trend will save you. As always, include a number of safer schools on your application list.