Is a TA Letter of Recommendation Useless Without the Professor's Signature?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agun77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my very large school, TAs routinely teach lower-division humanities courses, and students never even see or know the professors (the professors' names aren't even listed on the syllabi and are virtually never mentioned in class), who are basically behind-the-scenes course coordinators. I took two English courses with the same TA during my sophomore year (I'm currently a rising senior) and recently asked him for a letter of recommendation co-signed by one of the professors, but he told me that his coordinating professor refuses to sign letters for students unless the professor taught them directly. Would my TA's letter be useless without a professor's signature?

For what it's worth, my TA received his PhD at the end of my sophomore year (after teaching me), which raises a separate question: is it even necessary for me to ask for a professor's co-signature on my TA's letter now that my TA has a PhD?

Members don't see this ad.

It would surely be a much stronger letter if it were counter-signed by a professor. What's more, some schools require a letter from a faculty member so a TA letter wouldn't even count.