Is a tablet enough for the mobile part of med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woltej1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So first off, I'm a pc gamer so I have a built up desktop pc that would handle any protein modeling/rendering that may or may not ever occur in medical school, but obviously I can't bring this thing to a library and whatnot. I'm just wondering if a tablet can handle anything you need to do on campus, etc. while in medical school. I'm sure it can as I can't imagine much in the way of any modeling/rendering, but as I'm not in medical school right now I have no idea.

Also, my ideal tablet would a variant of windows tablet, or maybe a cheaper pc alternative as I'm not a fan of Mac.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally wouldn't be as efficient with a tablet as compared to a laptop. However, a number of people use them and seem to enjoy them. Honestly, it depends on a lot of factors, probably the biggest being how you take notes. Also, depending on your school, you may want to check on any possible software compatibility issues. But it should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want a Windows tablet for med school, then the Surface is probably right up your alley. The physical keyboard makes taking typed notes a non-issue, and I believe there are apps on the Microsoft app market that allow for handwritten additions to notes (not too sure on this one).

If you want a Windows tablet for med school, then the Surface is probably right up your alley. The physical keyboard makes taking typed notes a non-issue, and I believe there are apps on the Microsoft app market that allow for handwritten additions to notes (not too sure on this one).

Agree with this; my friend has a Windows Surface and while it was pricy, it's probably the best tablet for productiveness out there. There are indeed many apps that allow you to annotate PDFs, although I think my friend generally just imports things into Microsoft Onenote. I tried it and it was pretty awesome.