Is a year off really a huge red flag for EM applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gidgetgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to take a year off of school to pursue extra curricular interests, as well as some research. I am currently in 3rd year. It would be 6 months personal time and 6-months research, probably pathology related. Without going into too much detail, I feel like time away from med school is important for me at this point. Is this a huge red flag when applying to residency? I have good pre-clinical grades, an above average step score, and good clinical grades so far. Just don't want to ruin my future or anything..

Members don't see this ad.

You gonna be an emergency pathologist?

Thad be cool. But no, it's just something I like, and I have a relationship with a PI there.
edit: also, there isn't an EM residency at my school so not much research in that field going on, unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand and respect your vagueness on here, but you will need to be very blunt about it when you apply...

I think a year off is indeed a 'red flag'; I think the flag is just directed to 'why'...

Everyone has curve balls in life... If a child died, bitter divorce, you have leukemia, etc etc... All (and many others), I think, are mature and rational decisions to do what you are doing. You will just need to make certain its portrayed as a mature and rationally needed time off in your application and always be ready to discuss it in the interview.

Talk to your mentors, dean, advisor, etc and bounce the reasons off them and ask them if they think its a true rational decision...

Furthermore, the research into Path may look a bit odd. I think its very difficult to twist that into EM interest. Not sure how that will be approached, I understand your frustrations of not having an EM department... regardless, you probably need to tread that carefully... espically when people may view you as having taken time off to research in a non EM field..

Good Luck to you...

I had 2 maternity leaves in med school, resulting in an overall 2 year delay in graduation. Matched my #1. My scores were median (for then - seems like they'd be low for this pool).

I made sure to max out all possible EM student activities, made sure I had an excess of SLORs dated *after* coming back from my 2nd leave, demonstrating that after my break I was committed and fully capable of balancing my extracurricular demands. Worked for me. EM is a field that respects the need to be well-rounded.

Thanks for your replies so far. Interesting that pathology research would seem odd on an EM app. I thought any research would be looked favorable upon. Is there something else I could do in 6 months that wouldn't seem so odd, considering I have no EM program here?

Thanks for your replies so far. Interesting that pathology research would seem odd on an EM app. I thought any research would be looked favorable upon. Is there something else I could do in 6 months that wouldn't seem so odd, considering I have no EM program here?

To echo the above posters, whether the personal time is a red flag depends on why you need it (maternity leave does not really raise eyebrows, for example). As far as the pathology, "any research" is more favorable the earlier it occurs (e.g., summer after MSI, when you are more likely to be undifferentiated), but taking a year off for non-EM research after you have decided on EM makes it seem like you are just drifting, unless there is a clear relation--is your path research forensics, by chance? I could imagine some projects related to trauma deaths, etc., that might dovetail into EM.

If you have EM faculty at your school, I would start with some of them and ask if they have any contacts (specifically in academic EM) who might be able to help you out. Otherwise, your med school advisor might be able to point you in the right direction. Failing that, contact someone at a place that DOES have a residency program (either a place you are interested in or close to where you are spending your year off) and say that you are taking time off for research and find out whether they have or know of any projects for med students. Good luck.

Ive heard multiple theories, some people even say that not having a medical background and going straight through is a bad thing. Im not sure what to believe.

Ive heard multiple theories, some people even say that not having a medical background and going straight through is a bad thing. Im not sure what to believe.

First, never ever believe a medical student.
Second, believe those that have done it, or more importantly, those who hire new residents.

A year off to do path research? Not opening doors.