Is Acceptance to Dental School Contingent Upon Graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youn5177

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I know this is probably school-specific, but I really want to study abroad next spring semester. Before I even think about opening up those Italy brochures I want to know if acceptance to whatever dental school you've been accepted to is contingent upon graduation. I already have every prereq for all of the schools I'm considering applying to, so that's not an issue. Should I get a bachelors degree or live it up my last free semester? (Hopefully)

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, so I know this is probably school-specific, but I really want to study abroad next spring semester. Before I even think about opening up those Italy brochures I want to know if acceptance to whatever dental school you've been accepted to is contingent upon graduation. I already have every prereq for all of the schools I'm considering applying to, so that's not an issue. Should I get a bachelors degree or live it up my last free semester? (Hopefully)

I believe MOST schools require a 4 year degree, there are a few exceptions I believe( but its rare). I SAY, GRADUATE, and study abroad during the summer.

When you fill out the application on aadsas they asked planned courses for up until the start of school (fall 2012 for you). This will give them an idea of what you are going to be doing but I would call the schools you are going to apply to and ask what their requirements are and how it will affect admissions.

I can tell you that far less students without degrees get into dental school vs those with degrees. It is always a good idea to get the degree. Italy would be fun but in my opinion not worth sacrificing your hard earned degree!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe MOST schools require a 4 year degree, there are a few exceptions I believe( but its rare). I SAY, GRADUATE, and study abroad during the summer.

Could you name a handful?

whatever answer you read.... you sure you wanna listen to us? This is a huge deal.

I do know that the acceptance letters I was getting had an "academic stipulation" where I was told to continue taking the courses I was planned to take before the acceptance. And that my performance remains at the same level..... Basically, they don't want you to slack off in college after the acceptance.... I dunno how this carries over to completing a graduation requirement.

Could you name a handful?

I stand corrected, SOME schools have it required, while MOST schools highly recommend it.

TUFTS:
Q. Do I need to complete my Bachelor's Degree before enrolling at Tufts?
A. Yes, all D.M.D. program matriculants are required to obtain the baccalaureate degree (from an accredited institution) as a condition of admission before classes begin. Accepted students are also contractually obligated to complete any degree program (MA, PhD, etc.) in which they are enrolled at the time of acceptance. The only exception would be for students enrolled in the 7-Year Joint Degree program with Tufts University School of Arts & Sciences.

BUFFALO:
Applicants must have completed a minimum of 90 credit hours of undergraduate study prior to enrollment in the DDS program, with a minimum of 60 credit hours - two full years - at an accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university completed prior to application. Students are strongly encouraged to earn their bachelor’s degree prior to enrollment in the DDS program. Students who will not earn a bachelo's degree prior to enrollment must demonstrate a higher level of academic performance.

STONY BROOK :
It is preferable that all prerequisites are completed at a four-year college for baccalaureate or post-baccalaureate students. However, a maximum of 60 credit hours taken at a community college prior to your third year of study toward a baccalaureate degree may be accepted.

MARYLAND:

While the Committee on Dental Recruitment and Admissions strongly encourages applicants to earn a bachelor's degree prior to dental school matriculation, applicants who have successfully completed at least three academic years (90 credit hours) in an accredited university may be considered for admission. No more than 60 of the minimum required credits will be accepted from a community college or junior college. Furthermore, these credits must have been validated (i.e., accepted for transfer credit) by an accredited college of arts and sciences.

USC:

3. Do I need a Bachelors degree to attend USC?

A Bachelors degree is not a prerequisite for admission; however, due to the increasing competitiveness of the applicant pool, 100% of all students accepted during the past nine years had earned at least a bachelors degree. Many had earned advanced degrees.

USC basically sums up what I think about many of the Dental schools, IMO, you will be put at a disadvantage if you decide to STUDY ABROAD and not earn a bachelors degree, and will most likely be questioned during the interview about that.

just so you know op, 99% of specialty programs require a bachelor's degree. if you decide to specialize at some point, you would certainly regret not getting a BS/BA.

I stand corrected, SOME schools have it required, while MOST schools highly recommend it.

That would be FEW schools require it; they would be Howard, Midwestern, Boston, Tufts and East Carolina. Even Harvard is not on the list.

just so you know op, 99% of specialty programs require a bachelor's degree. if you decide to specialize at some point, you would certainly regret not getting a BS/BA.

Hmmm...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10728890&postcount=16

Last edited: