Is accepting multiple pharmacy school offers a foolish thing to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I have already paid deposit to one school, and I just got acceptance at another school in which now I cannot decide where I'm going. Both schools have their pros and con, and I am really set at 50/50 (It was actually much harder than I thought!).

I am seriously considering accepting that other school. My only concern is that both of them are in the same state, and I do not want to tie up a seat that I may not need (well, I will definitely need to reject my admission for one of them eventually). In addition, since both schools are in the same state, I do not want to tarnish my image as a new student and letting others think "Oh, so THAT was the guy who accepted multiple offers and took a seat from each school." What are your thoughts, and would this be common? My original plan was to accept them both and then decide in another couple of weeks. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry, lots of people do this. Just make sure you let the school you don't plan on going because that's very unprofessional. It's ok, just put the other deposit and give it some time to think about it. Research more or talk to more students. I'm assuming the schools you've been accepted to starts in August right? I say take a month or two in deciding. You'll be doing a favor to them cause they get your deposit money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean.. when you decide which one you want to go, tell the other school you wont be attending so they can give the spot to somebody else.

I'm in the same boat. I definitely wouldn't hold more than one seat at once, and at least for me one of my schools luckily didn't have seat deposit, so I got a few extra weeks to decide by just accepting one offer.

Those seat deposits are a real illustration of how much money some these schools want to bleed you for...it's totally ridiculous in my opinion.

I have already paid deposit to one school, and I just got acceptance at another school in which now I cannot decide where I'm going. Both schools have their pros and con, and I am really set at 50/50 (It was actually much harder than I thought!).

I am seriously considering accepting that other school. My only concern is that both of them are in the same state, and I do not want to tie up a seat that I may not need (well, I will definitely need to reject my admission for one of them eventually). In addition, since both schools are in the same state, I do not want to tarnish my image as a new student and letting others think "Oh, so THAT was the guy who accepted multiple offers and took a seat from each school." What are your thoughts, and would this be common? My original plan was to accept them both and then decide in another couple of weeks. :confused:

It's common to pay deposits at more than one school and then withdraw from the school(s) other than the one you end up choosing. It would be best for you if you could decide which school you want to go to before the deposit for the other school is due because you may save yourself some cash. If necessary though, just pay the deposit to the second school and then make up your mind. Let the school you don't choose know you won't be attending asap so they can give your spot to someone else. IMO it's only douchey if you either don't tell the school at all that you're not going or wait until very near the start of classes.

It's common to pay deposits at more than one school and then withdraw from the school(s) other than the one you end up choosing. It would be best for you if you could decide which school you want to go to before the deposit for the other school is due because you may save yourself some cash. If necessary though, just pay the deposit to the second school and then make up your mind. Let the school you don't choose know you won't be attending asap so they can give your spot to someone else. IMO it's only douchey if you either don't tell the school at all that you're not going or wait until very near the start of classes.

:thumbup: If you like the second school enough to shell out a second deposit, chances are you want to go there..you could probably wait another ~2 weeks to be certain you made the right decision..then contact the first school and let them know you won't be attending. It's hard to ever be 100% certain and each school is going to have its own quirks..most of which you won't be able to glean from the brochure. So don't let it drag on forever..at a certain point you have to take a leap. Good luck. :luck:

Putting a deposit on another school that you are strongly considering is a wise move. I am currently doing the same thing because every offer of acceptance is conditional. They may review your transcripts in several months and tell you they made a mistake and you are missing a vital pre-req and now do not meet their minimum standards for admission. It stinks that you are potentially holding someone's spot at one school or the other, but some of the colleges don't make it easy for you to know for sure if you have everything they want. In the end, that extra $500 or $1000 deposit will be a drop in the bucket in comparison to the tuition fees you will be paying. Put the money down, take a breather and dig deeper into each program. All things considered, make a decision on which fits you better.

It seems like this sort of thing is becoming the norm. Aren't most seat deposits pretty expensive? Like $500 to $1500???

That seems like a lot of money just to give away.