Is Acute care hospital experience overrated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is Acute care hospital experience overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

dreamshappen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Poll question.... Is acute care hospital experience overrated? Considering the evening/weekend rotations? Internal politics? Emphasis of quantity vs quality?

Please feel free to elaborate!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your end goal.

If you want to work at Walgreens - probably.

If you want to work in a hospital - absolutely not. Every minute there can help.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on your end goal.

If you want to work at Walgreens - probably.

If you want to work in a hospital - absolutely not. Every minute there can help.

Thanks for your response! I appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Poll question.... Is acute care hospital experience overrated? Considering the evening/weekend rotations? Internal politics? Emphasis of quantity vs quality?

Please feel free to elaborate!

Not overrated for working in hospitals. We will not hire without acute care experience.

One of the first thing all the pharmacy staff at my new facility told me was not to use a certain PRN pharmacist who had only worked retail (because of she made numerous errors and her general lack of acute care knowledge). Since there is no shortage in pharmacist any more, why take an additional risk when you don't have to?

Reactions: 1 users
Even nowadays retail chains have been more on board with acute care processes. For example, Walgreens can do bedside medication delivery. Having an understanding of the medication process, medication reconciliation, and discharge procedures at an acute care facility will make you a better retail pharmacist, too. Specialty pharmacies have huge profit margins so a lot of retail chains are trying to get into that.

Reactions: 1 user
The most poisonous, back-stabby environments I've ever worked in were hospitals. I've had enough...forever.

I'm opposite here...my most stressful work environments = retail.

Whenever I meet up with my pharmacy friends...none of my retail friends want to talk about work, all the hospital Rph's....we usually spend hours trading stories.

Not overrated for working in hospitals. We will not hire without acute care experience.

One of the first thing all the pharmacy staff at my new facility told me was not to use a certain PRN pharmacist who had only worked retail (because of she made numerous errors and her general lack of acute care knowledge). Since there is no shortage in pharmacist any more, why take an additional risk when you don't have to?

Very True! Thank you

Even nowadays retail chains have been more on board with acute care processes. For example, Walgreens can do bedside medication delivery. Having an understanding of the medication process, medication reconciliation, and discharge procedures at an acute care facility will make you a better retail pharmacist, too. Specialty pharmacies have huge profit margins so a lot of retail chains are trying to get into that.

Great perspective! I do think it helps greatly to understand the whole picture. Thank you!

The most poisonous, back-stabby environments I've ever worked in were hospitals. I've had enough...forever.

I can definitely see where you are coming from with this. The hierarchy and internal politics can be really ughly. In retail, I mostly felt like the boss and less micromanaged in your face...but in the back of my head I knew about the reports (wait times, complaints elect) and had to work with that pressure in mind.

I still work occasionally at the hospital. The director is a little annoyed at me because I only come in like once every 3 months but that' only because the scheduler only gives me shifts once every 3 months. (I only ask for Friday morning or Saturday morning shifts). I end up falling behind on updates and these competencies that they make us take because of this.

I still work occasionally at the hospital. The director is a little annoyed at me because I only come in like once every 3 months but that' only because the scheduler only gives me shifts once every 3 months. (I only ask for Friday morning or Saturday morning shifts). I end up falling behind on updates and these competencies that they make us take because of this.
Don't you have to work once a month for payroll purposes?

definitely true...maybe it's being stuck in the basement all the time with nothing to do but gossip and trash each other behind their backs to the pharmacy student on rotation who doesn't really care and has to ackwardly nod himself away.

I'm opposite here...my most stressful work environments = retail.

Whenever I meet up with my pharmacy friends...none of my retail friends want to talk about work, all the hospital Rph's....we usually spend hours trading stories.

You work enough hours a week, why spend your free time discussing it? A willingness to talk about work off hours means little about job satisfaction

Reactions: 1 user
You work enough hours a week, why spend your free time discussing it? A willingness to talk about work off hours means little about job satisfaction

I dunno, cuz it's fun?