Is AED Club Necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedrocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school has a club called AED (Alpha Epsilon Delta) which is a pre health club. Do other colleges have such a club? Is it necessary to be a member of AED in order to have a shot at getting in to dental school? It seems like of you are not part of the club, they will not write reccomendations for you and therefore you are doomed. What are your thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to get recommendations from professors you know well or have done research for, or from a dentist you shadowed or volunteered for. Judging from your name, premed, you're in the wrong forum anyway. Most schools have a 'club' such as the one you are talking about but it isn't exactly a pre-requisite.

I was a member in Helix Tri-Beta, a Biological Sciences Honorary. It helped me gather a lot of volunteer hours and get to know professors a lot better too. Most of the kids in there happened to be pre-med, pre-dental, pre-pharm since it was the honor-roll of bio-sci students. Not necessary, but all extracurriculars help, and the longer you've been involved the better.

Like Badger said, most recommendations come from professors you've had. Start going to office hours even if you don't have questions, get to know professors. Easiest ways to get recommendation letters:

1) The dentist you shadowed
2) Faculty research advisor (do research!)
3) Aforementioned professor who got to know you (and who's class you did well in to boot!)

and boom thats 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
AED is a pre-med club, why would it be necessary? I'm technically in it, but I never listed or mentioned it on my AADSAS application. It won't hurt or help to be in it.

I believe the OP switched to predent after failing orgo. LOL