Is all this studying necessary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p9142

UR out of your element!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I just took 3R after studying for about a month. The test seemed more like reading comprehension than anything else. I feel like I am wasting my time studying. Almost zero science memorization was necessary. Is that just the way 3R is, or are all MCAT tests like this?

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to try taking the AAMC Practice Test 7 (or 8), as I've been told they're more indicative of what the MCAT is like in its current format. But, yes, it does seem like more reading comprehension than anything else.

SeminoleFan3 said:
You might want to try taking the AAMC Practice Test 7 (or 8), as I've been told they're more indicative of what the MCAT is like in its current format. But, yes, it does seem like more reading comprehension than anything else.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I want to get those tests, but they are $40 each. Is there a package to buy all the tests? I can only find 4-6 bundled together.

p9142 said:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I want to get those tests, but they are $40 each. Is there a package to buy all the tests? I can only find 4-6 bundled together.

I'm taking a Kaplan Review course, so I already have access to them. I think the AAMC might have a package, but you'd have to check.

Members don't see this ad :)
For some people yes, it's necessary.
For some people yes, it's worth it.

for some people no, it's not necessary.
For some people no, it's not worth it.

Many of the people with high scores studied a lot. If they had been ok with just an OK score they probably could have studied a lot less. It may not be necessary for everyone to study much in order to get a decent score, but usually studying yields a higher score for everyone.

p9142 said:
OK, I just took 3R after studying for about a month. The test seemed more like reading comprehension than anything else. I feel like I am wasting my time studying. Almost zero science memorization was necessary. Is that just the way 3R is, or are all MCAT tests like this?

You are absolutely right. Don't study for the mcat. :thumbup:

unfortunately this is the best answer.

The test is a lot of reading comprehension but the material is easier to digest with a solid foundation of knowing the basic sciences. My actual MCAT was a lot more thinking and less calculations. Half the answers were in the passages and the other half you had to reason out based on your knowledge.

It's not straight memorization and it's not straight reading comprehension.

Teerawit said:
For some people yes, it's necessary.
For some people yes, it's worth it.

for some people no, it's not necessary.
For some people no, it's not worth it.

uh, test 3r is notorious for being easier than the other ones, so be wary of how simple it may have seemed. But I also kind of agree that if you have good reading comprehension skills you can figure a lot of the answers directly from the passages. Another BUT, is while I did find that you can deduce many answers simply from reading the passage, having prior/good science knowledge makes the questions MUCH easier/faster to answer since the solution will jump out at you, whereas you will have to think and waste more time just trying to figure things out. that also leads to more familiarity and less apprehension while taking it. Anxiety I would say is the biggest to most people.