Is AMEX Student Travel as good as it sounds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brickmanli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time using the American Express Student Travel Program, where you can have 4 roundtrips on Continental for $119 each. It sounds really good, since if I were book another flight to Chicago, it would cost six times as much. The only restriction I noticed is that you need a Saturday night stay. Any bad experiences with this program? Any hidden charges and limitations because it looks like an amazing deal!

Members don't see this ad.

I used this service as an undergrad and in pa school and found it very worthwhile. the down side is that you have to fly on continental which has no direct flights anywhere. an actual portland, oregon to philadelphia trip for me was once the following: portland to seattle to houston to new jersey to philly(plane changes at each destination). time in transit 18 hrs. cost $99. it's great on a student budget but has nothing else to recommend it.

I used this service one time. I had to arrive where I wanted to go two days early because of the restrictions around the date I wanted to travel. And I had a zillion connections. It took me about 14 hours to get from Tucson to Atlanta. What I saved on airfare, I paid staying extra nights in hotels.