Is an 18AA coupled with a 3.5 laughable

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

personalstatementsbyeric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ask this because someone messaged me afraid to post their DAT score on my "19 and under thread" - does an 18 really mean no chance these days when coupled with a 3.5?

Members don't see this ad.

Not no chance. Just not a particularly good chance based on numbers alone.

Reactions: 1 users
3.5 is the average GPA for entering dental students. You're fine there. The 18 AA is low though.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a little low, but it's not a showstopper depending on your score breakdown and the rest of your app.
For example, if you had a 14QR, it wouldn't hurt you as much as a 14BIO.
Either way, I hope things work out for them!

I got into multiple schools with a 18AA, 3.7+ Ogpa.
However I agree with the above posters, an 18AA is low.

If you aren't a very strong applicant in terms of EC's and intangibles such as personality and interview skills, there are very rough waters ahead of you. If you're strong in these areas an acceptance somewhere is realistic, if you don't care about which school. If this cycle doesn't yield any acceptances you should re-take. A bump to just a 20AA should do wonders for your application.
I think this is the most solid advice - or atleast I hope so... I only have a 19AA but no intentions of retaking just yet :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
I think this is the most solid advice - or atleast I hope so... I only have a 19AA but no intentions of retaking just yet :shrug:

This is what I'm banking on.

I have a 19AA and 20 PAT, but with a higher GPA and a ton of ECs/ Research. I have no plans on retaking unless if I get early rejections.

19 AA isn't something to worry about. I'd only worry if you have a low science score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 18AA and 18TS with a 3.3 GPA so I wouldn't stress it. I applied to 8 schools and had 4 interviews and an acceptance. Stats are not everything. There is a lot to the application. Your stats are not laughable! Good luck this cycle! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I had 18AA and 18TS with a 3.3 GPA so I wouldn't stress it. I applied to 8 schools and had 4 interviews and an acceptance. Stats are not everything. There is a lot to the application. Your stats are not laughable! Good luck this cycle! :)
Did you apply last cycle Kayzee?

Me? I edit for free

thank you Eric. Hopefully I get your name correctly. I am matriculating to dental school this year already so I don't really need PS editing help but I appreciate your help for extending free service :)

I dislike it very much when people with no credential (like muhammed) charges predents hundreds of dollars for PS proofreading service. while it is true, he just got accepted into dental school and dropped before even starting. So with absolutely no credentials, the fee for service is outrageous.

Reactions: 2 users
thank you Eric. Hopefully I get your name correctly. I am matriculating to dental school this year already so I don't really need PS editing help but I appreciate your help for extending free service :)

I dislike it very much when people with no credential (like muhammed) charges predents hundreds of dollars for PS proofreading service. while it is true, he just got accepted into dental school and dropped before even starting. So with absolutely no credentials, the fee for service is outrageous.
I understand your frustration - but let's keep thread on topic please

which dental school accepted you / are you attending?

I am sure you need more credential than "getting into dental schools like Penn, UCSF, NYU, Pitt, and Rutgers" and "helping more than 120 people to get into schools like Harvard, Penn, UCSF, and Columbia".

LOL, you edit their PS for a fee. They get into the schools by their own strength not because of your help. Please, stop doing shameless advertising.

Yea but getting into dental school and quit before starting = no credentials to claim to know what admission committee is looking for and have the right to use this to charge mula for PS proofreading.

Honestly, you know how to apply to dental schools but you know absolutely nothing about dental schools.