Is an "Academic Warning" an Institutional Action?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Appleseed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dropped out during a semester of college and got straight F's. I got a 0.0 gpa and was issued an academic warning. Is this the same as academic probation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey don't sweat stuff like that. The more transparent you are in your application the more mature and interesting you'll come off as. You just have to put a spin on it, how will this experience make you a better doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a handful of F's and D's on my transcript before I retook a bunch of classes, and it didn't even come up in an interview. I was also on academic probation for at least 2 semesters. I start school this August. The secret is just growing the F up (see what I did there?)

It's hard to do, but putting things in perspective and really buckling down and showing maturity and the ability to adapt will salvage your chances/future in medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a handful of F's and D's on my transcript before I retook a bunch of classes, and it didn't even come up in an interview. I was also on academic probation for at least 2 semesters. I start school this August. The secret is just growing the F up (see what I did there?)

It's hard to do, but putting things in perspective and really buckling down and showing maturity and the ability to adapt will salvage your chances/future in medicine.
I've recovered fairly well from that semester, but I'm struggling with what to say in the application when it asks about institutional actions. I only have five hundred characters to explain what happened, the dates, and what I've learned...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

I've recovered fairly well from that semester, but I'm struggling with what to say in the application when it asks about institutional actions. I only have five hundred characters to explain what happened, the dates, and what I've learned...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

Yeah that can be tough. I would say to be honest and own up to it, show how you've improved/benefitted and go from there. Don't harp on it too much or in excessive detail. And if you need to, treat it like an essay and make multiple revisions to see where you can cut characters without missing the point.