Is an education from a TX dental school respectable in the NE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satran

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a TX resident and only applied to the 3 dental schools in TX, but I'm thinking about living in the Northeast (like NJ) in the future. I will find out if I am accepted this Friday. I have two routes to choose from before I really get in too deep and can't turn back:

Option 1: Accept a TX dental school offer then move to the Northeast to work as a dentist.
Option 2: Decline TX dental school offers, work in NJ for a year to get in-state tuition for dental school, then apply to dental school.

TX dental school tuition is still cheaper than in-state tuition in the NE. Option 1 is simpler, but I'm concerned about my marketability as a dentist.

Does where I earn a DDS affect my marketability as a dentist? Would my patients in the NE care about where I was educated? Would I still be respected by other NE dentists? Would it be worth it to pay a greater tuition to just have a DDS from a school in the NE?

Members don't see this ad.

Stay in Texas and get your degree there if you can. It doesn't matter where you get your DDS when it comes to your marketability.

Reactions: 4 users
Ditto to ncide's words.
Hands down, go to a TX dental school. No one cares whether you are from the area you practice in or not.
There are Docs from all over the country practicing in Texas, I'm sure there are also those from the South who chose to practice in other areas of the country.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know where your dentist went to school? I didn't know where mine went until after I'd shadowed him (UCLA). Plenty of people don't even go to college -> plenty of people don't even think about good vs bad colleges.

Is this a serious question!? How many times we need to tell you to pick the cheapest possible school? And Texas school is significantly cheaper right?

Reactions: 3 users
I can honestly say that in the now closing in on 20 yrs of private practice I've been at this profession, that maybe 10 times tops I've been asked where I went to dental school. And my dental school diploma is in my house, not my office, so it's not like my patients are reading that I went to UCONN via some piece of paper hanging on the wall.....

Reactions: 2 users
All things being equal, I would go to the school nearest where I would like to practice. It's nice to have friends from school in your neck of the woods, not just for finding work but life in general. But that is all things being equal. It would be insane to turn down a TX public school if accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Just think how cool it would be for NE patients when their dentist shows to his/her office on a horse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Just think how cool it would be for NE patients when their dentist shows to his/her office on a horse.
upload_2017-12-1_13-14-46.jpeg

Pretty dang cool.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-1_13-14-26.jpeg
    upload_2017-12-1_13-14-26.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 71