Is an honor society an award or an extracurricular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asigna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I want to list some honor societies as awards/ honors instead of extracurriculars- is that ok?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dont think an honor society counts as an award unless it's something like AOA or Phi Beta Kappa. I could be wrong

I was thinking about National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS) and National Gold Key Honor Society. I see both as honors/ awards as you are selected to be a part of those, based only on certain qualifications.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a large role in them, it's an extracurricular. If you want to list it because you are simply in it, it's an honor/award. But from what I've heard, the only honor societies worth listing (as an honor/award) are Phi Beta Kappa and the engineering equivalent (Tau Beta Pi?), as they usually are the most selective.

At my school, it's laughably easy (relative to the premed population, not in general) to get invited into NSCS and Golden Key.

oh i got into the golden key thing. wasnt sure if it was real or a scam so i didnt pay the fee. didnt mention it on my app. not sure how much it would help on ur app but dont think it would hurt to list it

Both of those are complete scams. They have jokingly low GPA requirements.