Is an IPad worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jayal

Reaction score
Hello,

Current undergrad here who uses Anki religiously. If my main method of studying is Anki and reading textbooks / PP's, is there any reason I should invest in an IPad? As much as I want to get one to annotate power points, I personally find it useless since I exclusively use Anki. Any hidden features that have revolutionized the way you study? Just asking since there are some pretty nice deals going on right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally got mine refurbished since I didn't think a new price tag was worth it.

Considering the refurbished price (which was like 3-400 for me), I think it was well worth it since it has a lot of useful educational apps (like 3D Anatomy).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone provide some insight on what exactly you utilize w the IPad on a day to day basis?

can anyone provide some insight on what exactly you utilize w the IPad on a day to day basis?
I use Notability for note taking on the ipad. I put powerpoints in it, forms, etc. With the apple pencil, it is very nice. I also use OneNote on there and my laptop. I can use the ipad to access learning systems (ie Canvas or Blackboard), watch videos on YouTube (or other streaming services) and email. I can take notes on the iPad and watch the lecture on my laptop.

I dont use Anki but those I know who do paid $20 for their app. Worth noting for iOS.

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
If you don't annotate slides, then no reason to get an iPad. Notability is very nice (but then you'd also need the Apple Pencil). But if you're not going to be using it for notes, then there's literally no reason to have it other than entertainment because it cannot substitute for a laptop.

Similarly to @BellaWriterChic, I take notes on the slides during lecture. You mentioned you don't do that... do you just sit in lecture not taking notes? within 24 hours I convert all the pertinent stuff into Anki cards. I also keep all of my textbooks on my iPad so I don't have to carry those around.

Reactions: 1 user
Not an anki person and I don't have an ipad but I do have the surface book 2 and it's amazing when it comes to all above as mentioned.

Honestly, if you just want a slim, light device to carry around with you for Anki, grab an older iPad like an Air 2 off of FB marketplace for ~$150. Plenty of storage and you can definitely take PPT notes/OneNote on that as well.

I got an iPad and stylus during my post-bac and it was a game changer for me. It was much easier to take notes and have them sync across devices and have access to textbooks to reference in class. If you like to annotate, find an iPad with a stylus and it should last quite a few years. If you just want to carry around textbooks, an older iPad would be more than sufficient.

I got an iPad and stylus during my post-bac and it was a game changer for me. It was much easier to take notes and have them sync across devices and have access to textbooks to reference in class. If you like to annotate, find an iPad with a stylus and it should last quite a few years. If you just want to carry around textbooks, an older iPad would be more than sufficient.
And by stylus, I mean one by a third party provider. I know there is a new iPad with a stylus with more features but its crazy expensive.

I got an iPad with the pencil this past semester and it's great. My macbook pro is older and heavy so the iPad is much easier to take to lecture when I do go. I use notability to annotate the slides and then I'll make a separate document to take notes when I review the lecture. I make all my anki cards on the computer but frequently use the iPad to review them. I also use liquidtext to store any textbooks that I have.

If you don't annotate slides, then no reason to get an iPad. Notability is very nice (but then you'd also need the Apple Pencil). But if you're not going to be using it for notes, then there's literally no reason to have it other than entertainment because it cannot substitute for a laptop.
It's possible OP already has a laptop is looking to see if adding an iPad to the mix is worth it.
I have a macbook that I got shortly after starting college so it's still kicking, will likely add an iPad if I get in to med school though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Current undergrad here who uses Anki religiously. If my main method of studying is Anki and reading textbooks / PP's, is there any reason I should invest in an IPad? As much as I want to get one to annotate power points, I personally find it useless since I exclusively use Anki. Any hidden features that have revolutionized the way you study? Just asking since there are some pretty nice deals going on right now.
Med school friend got a new gen ipad (already had macbook) and literally does not use his macbook anymore. Also got that pencil thing too. He annotates ppts and can annotate pictures and stuff from anatomy. Says its awesome and it doubles as a second monitor if need be now (not that you should buy a second monitor for 1 grand, just an added bonus)

It's possible OP already has a laptop is looking to see if adding an iPad to the mix is worth it.
I have a macbook that I got shortly after starting college so it's still kicking, will likely add an iPad if I get in to med school though.

My point is that an iPad cannot substitute as a laptop so it's only purposes are 1) entertainment or 2) annotating stuff with the pencil. But if you're not going to annotate anything with it, then there's no point getting it other than entertainment. It won't really be useful for med school. You could conceivably also get it for having something lighter to hold when you're reading in bed or something. But my opinion is that it's not worth the extra money.

Personally, it has made my life so much easier. Just carrying an iPad and a laptop around lightened the weight on my back, and I no longer have to carry paper. I use Notability to take handwritten notes/annotate and it’s really helpful to just have it all on the device, as well as textbooks. It’s also a powerful device for media consumption, as well as good for people into photography/video editing. I dropped about a grand on everything but it was so worth for me.

Reactions: 4 users
@Jayal Best Buy AFAIK has a pretty lenient policy with returns if you return a product within 2 weeks and you come back with the receipt. A couple of years ago I trialed a couple of laptops e.g. Dell XPS series, Lenovo, and Mac laptops to see which product had the best fit for me. I enjoyed a relatively hassle free process with the brick and mortar store. The thing when it comes to learning is that there should be no compromise, all of us to a certain extent know that performing in school is competitive. However, making time to learn is also a deeply individualized process.

You shared that you use Anki, but I don't know if that means that you prefer to make your own cards and how you've consumed it as a medium. Most people who use Anki don't use it properly and end up finding a way that works for them. As far as textbooks and powerpoints go, that is again something else that is an entirely individualized process. Someone who is used to having physical print copies and writing on those over using an app like Notability or Goodnotes may not adopt to the stylus/iPad medium similarly to having a physical multi-color pen system e.g. Papermate Inkjoys/Signo 307's with physical print outs/bullet journal note taking. The aesthetic is similar, but slight deviations in the process of note taking can feel unnatural to people who feel like they are forced to adopt to a new system that doesn't seem natural to them.

Someone else selling you a one size fits all approach or hidden features from a sales product likely has an ulterior motive outside of your best interest. Also, there are always going to be "deals" on IPads if you're willing to accept models that are refurbished, good as new, older generations, during back 2 school / Black Friday / Cyber Monday, or from retailers like Costco or Best Buy. I wrote in social about the FOMO deals that were heavily shilled this holiday season which turned out to be nothing burgers. In my honest opinion, expensive tech buys tend to be more about the dopamine rush than the logical process of discovery. There is a trial and error process that you can test out on break to see what works for you.

I think one of those laptop|tablet convertible things is the best compromise. Personally, I can’t imagine adding yet another piece of technology to my life.
Med students of the pre-steve jobs era certainly survived without iPads. I say, save yourself the $ and headache of managing another device and maybe put it toward buying a better laptop if you can!

haven’t read the other comments-apologies if I’m repeating anything from above.

I use my iPad to annotate slides with info that is class-specific and not covered in Zanki. I also use it as my daily planner, and bought a keyboard so I can use it as a laptop if the workload for the day is light. The Human Anatomy app was CLUTCH on the iPad for M1.

I’ve successfully stayed paperless for all of M1 and M2 by using the iPad, which is probably my favorite thing.

Surface pro and Surface book!

Generally the apple tablets are good additions to laptops, microsoft surfaces as the do-it-all solution.

If price is the biggest concern on iPad: there are several different kinds of iPads at different price points. The 7th generation 10.2 inch screen iPad is a solid budget option at $330 + $100 apple pencil. You can always drop a grand getting a pro version and adding memory etc. but unless you are gaming/video editing you don't need the power. Ali Abdaal makes GREAT youtube videos about iPads for medical school. He makes the argument that iPad airs are worth the extra money for the screen, keyboard accessory, and power... BUT this was BEFORE the new 7th generation that is now compatible with apple smart keyboards. Also, look into Paperlike Screen protectors if using the apple pencil on a plastic screen (budget iPad) feels off compared to the glass (air, pro).

There also might be refurb options for 7th gen 10.2" iPads, making this a less than $400 dollar investment for the most important years of your education. At the end of the day, you don't have to break bank unless you want fancy options and nice accessories.

i would recommend buying an ipad and trying it out first to see if the workflow is valuable to you. You can often use them for like 2 weeks or so and return them if you didnt like it. Sometimes how you envision youre gonna study in med school doesnt work out like you thought and you have to switch things up. If you end up not needing the ipad it was just a waste of money. I know how i study and knew that it would work well for me. I annotate the pdfs and use anki. ill do my anki and then before the test read my annotated notes to make sure i didnt miss anything. If you really think about it in terms of value for your money, the ipad pro wasnt worth it exclusively for annotating slides (you can just as easily type notes on a laptop). however, using it does motivate me to study and is really convenient. its also good for netflix/youtube etc so for me it ended up being worth it.

Hello,

No. Anki is just better on a real computer.

My point is that an iPad cannot substitute as a laptop so it's only purposes are 1) entertainment or 2) annotating stuff with the pencil. But if you're not going to annotate anything with it, then there's no point getting it other than entertainment. It won't really be useful for med school. You could conceivably also get it for having something lighter to hold when you're reading in bed or something. But my opinion is that it's not worth the extra money.
These are my thoughts exactly. I just want to understand why people use the IPad when they have Anki. Why do people annotate slides when the information is already present in a card (genuinely asking)? So many med students use them, so naturally, I assumed there was something I'm missing.

These are my thoughts exactly. I just want to understand why people use the IPad when they have Anki. Why do people annotate slides when the information is already present in a card (genuinely asking)? So many med students use them, so naturally, I assumed there was something I'm missing.

I like to make my own Anki cards. I take screenshots of the notes I’ve taken on slides and do some image occlusion :thumbup:

I don't use paper really at all anymore. I just take my computer and iPad to school, use anki on the iPad when I'm taking the bus. It's been very helpful with mcat prep too. I downloaded the ebook version of ochem as 2nd language and the 300pg KA doc and I just annotate it in notability and make decks as I go. You shouldn't get it if you don't imagine yourself using it.

I think one of those laptop|tablet convertible things is the best compromise. Personally, I can’t imagine adding yet another piece of technology to my life.
Med students of the pre-steve jobs era certainly survived without iPads. I say, save yourself the $ and headache of managing another device and maybe put it toward buying a better laptop if you can!

haven’t read the other comments-apologies if I’m repeating anything from above.
Well people used to survive without electricity as well but here we are. UFAP is now the primary way to study and it's all digital. I agree tho, laptop/desktop first though.

Hello,

I think tablets are super useful. However, you can get all the love of a tablet with less cost by getting a used / refurbished iPad or getting one of the Android tablets.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

PC desktop, who goes to lecture anyway

Also, this. I invested in a decent (not great) laptop during the first year of med school and did all my work at home for the next two years. Everyone is different, but for those who can do independent study, it is highly recommended.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 2 users
I don't use paper really at all anymore. I just take my computer and iPad to school, use anki on the iPad when I'm taking the bus. It's been very helpful with mcat prep too. I downloaded the ebook version of ochem as 2nd language and the 300pg KA doc and I just annotate it in notability and make decks as I go. You shouldn't get it if you don't imagine yourself using it.
May I ask why you don't just make your annotations into cards instead?

May I ask why you don't just make your annotations into cards instead?

I definitely could. I usually make annotations first, then make decks. A lot of times I am annotating things that I don't necessarily need to make into decks, but would be helpful to reference, like research articles. None of it is of course required. I know active recall >>>>>>>>>>>>> passive note-taking and computers suffice, but it definitely appeals to people who like writing things down and drawing diagrams.