is an MBA an advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soopasteve

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently studying for the DAT and will be applying next year and wanted to see what people thought about MBA holders. I've already heard that business management is something that is undercovered in dental school. My undergrad school offers an accelerated MBA program that is only one year long so I've been considering going this route before applying to dental school. My reasoning behind this is to make myself more competetive in the job market when I graduate. Would an MBA make a fresh graduate more appealing to a private dental practice? I would assume so, so the real question is would it be enough to justify the time and money? I'm not sure on the price, but if the decision was made based solely on the time spent (and not the extra loan) would it be a good or a bad idea? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

No, it would probably just piss you off about how poorly the office you are working in is run. There's enough management CE out there that it isn't worth staying in school for the extra year... you'd be better off doing a GPR after Dschool.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the quick responses guys

No, it would probably just piss you off about how poorly the office you are working in is run. There's enough management CE out there that it isn't worth staying in school for the extra year... you'd be better off doing a GPR after Dschool.

If you don't have a business background and have aspirations outside the practice of dentistry it might very well help you. Yes, there are management and business CE's out there to help guide you if you own a practice, but if you live in an area where you would be able to start opening up multiple offices and hiring mulitple dentists and hygenists, then an MBA probably would be a good thing. Otherwise, I agree mostly with pietrodds.

I attained my MBA and every faculty I talk to is pleased to hear that I have it because they say that the hardest thing they hear from graduates is running the practice.

I had three years between undergrad and dental school and was counciled not to pursue my MBA, even though it interested me. The argument was that the admissions board would question my commitment to dentistry. Private dentistry is indeed largely about business, but dental schooling is science science science. If you even have a desire to go to business school, you will do fine in that aspect of private practice. Most dental students have no business sense in the first place, which gets them in to trouble. It's apparent in my class that everyone did well in Organic Chemistry and the like, but havn't put a thought into staff management procedures.

Also, it's risky for a school to take on a student who can afford to drop out of school. With an MBA, they'll question that you won't want to drop out and pursue your business career. I think dental schools like accepting young mothers and fathers because they have no choice but finish school or they won't be able to pay for their kids. hehe

This is BS, all faculty love the fact that you have an MBA, especially those that run their own business. Go talk to a real dentist, ask them if it would be something they wish they had.

Dentists are among the top in payscale and there's no need to waste money and time on an MBA, unless you're gonna do nothing for a year anyway. Take good care of your patients and they will take good care of you. Go read "The Millionaire Next Door" to learn how the vast majority of American millionaires made their fortune; they're all 'Joe the Plumber' with no MBA and no impressive credentials like the ceo's of Merill Lynch, Chrysler, AMEX, Countrywide, etc.

Last edited:
Take good care of your patients and they will take good care of you.
This is the golden rule which many people underestimate.

A dentists becomes successful when his/her patients have faith in them > patients bring more business by recommending their family/friends/colleagues to the dentist.

There are obviously other qualities a dentist needs to acquire (or simply difficult to get), like creativity; digging into your imagination, ability to invent your own unique set of systems in your dental office, having ideas on how to effectively utilize your employees, and being intuitive towards opportunities. There are among the few things that makes a dentist ahead of the game, regardless of the field - GP, orthodontist, endodontist, pedo, etc.

No education is ever wasted.

In my opinion it's a waste of time. The best advice I can give is go where dentists are needed not where it is cool and hip to live, and you will have more money than you know what to do with.

I'm currently studying for the DAT and will be applying next year and wanted to see what people thought about MBA holders. I've already heard that business management is something that is undercovered in dental school. My undergrad school offers an accelerated MBA program that is only one year long so I've been considering going this route before applying to dental school. My reasoning behind this is to make myself more competetive in the job market when I graduate. Would an MBA make a fresh graduate more appealing to a private dental practice? I would assume so, so the real question is would it be enough to justify the time and money? I'm not sure on the price, but if the decision was made based solely on the time spent (and not the extra loan) would it be a good or a bad idea? Thanks in advance

CE courses are not the best substitute for a degree. There are a number of universities offering MBAs for dentists. Go the route of an MBA because it is what you enjoy and not because it will make you "more competitive in the job market" since, in all likelihood, you will end up in a solo practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
CE courses are not the best substitute for a degree. There are a number of universities offering MBAs for dentists. Go the route of an MBA because it is what you enjoy and not because it will make you "more competitive in the job market" since, in all likelihood, you will end up in a solo practice.

What is there to enjoy in an MBA? I was under the impression people got an MBA for a higher salary or acquire knowledge that would ultimately lead them to at least break even from the costs associated with getting an MBA.

What is there to enjoy in an MBA? I was under the impression people got an MBA for a higher salary or acquire knowledge that would ultimately lead them to at least break even from the costs associated with getting an MBA.

Enjoyment like beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

it absolutely would not! especially if the owner dentist doesnt have one!

my two cents on MBA's.

They are for:

my 2 cents on MBAs
They are for:
1. People who are not ready to leave college.
2. people in large corporations who cannot get promoted w/o one.
3. people with rich parents who will pay for them.

otherwise, they are not worh the paper they are printed on. I have one, it never did a damn thing for me but take up my evenings.

I disagree with most of the post on here. Since when did obtaining a MBA become a bad idea? I agree in the sense that it may not make you more competitive in trying to be hired by another dentist, but what about when you own your own practice. It's up to you to put it to use. Talk to your advisors and ask them how you really can apply this degree to your practice, and use that as a stepping stone. There are some dental schools where you can earn a DMD/MBA, UCSF (I know for sure off the top of my head). So I think its a good idea, IF, you have a plan to go along with it. Whatever you decide on, best of luck with it!

I have an MBA from UNC, I can assure you that the whole time I was in the program they did not teach us one useful thing towards running a dental practice.

IT WILL NOT HELP.

Its only good if you need to show your a good student. Ex. If you got mediocre grades in undergrad.

Eventhen however, I think an MBA for a future dentist is and was a waste of time for me!

I disagree with most of the post on here. Since when did obtaining a MBA become a bad idea? I agree in the sense that it may not make you more competitive in trying to be hired by another dentist, but what about when you own your own practice. It's up to you to put it to use. Talk to your advisors and ask them how you really can apply this degree to your practice, and use that as a stepping stone. There are some dental schools where you can earn a DMD/MBA, UCSF (I know for sure off the top of my head). So I think its a good idea, IF, you have a plan to go along with it. Whatever you decide on, best of luck with it!

If you were a dentist would you want to hire someone with an MBA?

The last thing a dentist wants is an associate snooping around in his books and I can guarantee you that!!!

If you were a dentist would you want to hire someone with an MBA?

The last thing a dentist wants is an associate snooping around in his books and I can guarantee you that!!!
Who is to say that an associate with a MBA is more likely to "snoop around in a dentist's books" vs someone without a MBA. Why wouldn't an associate without a MBA (who may be lacking a strong buisness sense) "snoop around in the books" to gain a better understanding of what is going on, because they have no clue. That's a possibility. So the answer to your question, yes I would hire someone with an MBA. Maybe I could learn a thing or two, me personally, I'm never to good to learn. The matter of someone snooping around, is a matter of whether you hired a person of integrity and honesty.

Who is to say that an associate with a MBA is more likely to "snoop around in a dentist's books" vs someone without a MBA. Why wouldn't an associate without a MBA (who may be lacking a strong buisness sense) "snoop around in the books" to gain a better understanding of what is going on, because they have no clue. That's a possibility. So the answer to your question, yes I would hire someone with an MBA. Maybe I could learn a thing or to, me personally, I'm never to good to learn. The matter of someone snooping around, is a matter of whether you hired a person of integrity and honesty.

very true you are right. However, I have a MBA from a large school (UNC)and it will not help me in a dental practice.

MBA's are geared more towards large corporations and not LLC's/partnerships of dental magnitude. I would challenge anyone who disagrees!