Is an SMP a good idea for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reluctantoptimism

Shrews and Trucks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a somewhat unique situation and I wonder if an SMP would be beneficial: I have withdrawals on my transcript from several semesters ;I got sick, close relative died, another close relative developed cancer and in my hubris I kept trying to go to school. In addition, I have an IA for misconduct which I intend on disclosing ( per AMCAS rules). If I could get into an SMP and perform well, how would this bode for me( I was looking at Tulane)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's hard to remark, if your IA is cheating your ****ed

Members don't see this ad :)
Get in contact with prospective programs... No-one on this forum can tell you if a SMP will resurrect your app from the abyss with the disciplinary remark on your transcript. Talk to programs and see what their take is on the matter. If MCAT and all the other facets of your app are ok then I would say they may wanna know the specifics of your IA... Good luck.

No, I did not cheat; is 3 years between applying and an IA sufficient if I've had a stellar record from that point on?

It really depends on your IA, you should directly email the program like previously mentioned

Georgetown was my favorite of the SMPs when I was considering it

Why would you think that a SMP meant for grade repair would fix an IA? It won't. Only go to an SMP if you 3.0-3.3. If your grades are fine but you have an IA, well you just have to bite the bullet and apply.

Reactions: 1 user
It really depends on your IA, you should directly email the program like previously mentioned

Georgetown was my favorite of the SMPs when I was considering it

I contacted some prospective programs but I didn't mentioned the IA; I was given a generic response from some program (i.e. I was told that review of applications is holistic) and other programs said an SMP may be helpful given the W's (in other words, you can handle a rigorous program in a certain time frame). I'm just really confused at this point because I'm supposed to take the MCAT this fall and apply next year but I feel lost.

You should give your GPAs if you want good advice. An IA won't be helped by an SMP and a few W's won't kill your app (depending on how many)

If you have a low GPA, and then can ace an SMP (and MCAT) there are a good number of MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention. Keep in mind that doing is a lot harder that saying.

I have a somewhat unique situation and I wonder if an SMP would be beneficial: I have withdrawals on my transcript from several semesters ;I got sick, close relative died, another close relative developed cancer and in my hubris I kept trying to go to school. In addition, I have an IA for misconduct which I intend on disclosing ( per AMCAS rules). If I could get into an SMP and perform well, how would this bode for me( I was looking at Tulane)?

If you have a low GPA, and then can ace an SMP (and MCAT) there are a good number of MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention. Keep in mind that doing is a lot harder that saying.

See that's the thing, my GPA is not super low, it's just lower than I know it can be. My slightly low GPA couple with my W's made me think an SMP would be a good way to show potential medical school that "I have what it takes."

Thanks Goro!

Don't do an SMP til you've had at least one unsuccessful cycle. Many SMPS REQUIRE an unsuccessful cycle before you are even eligible (Tulane is one of them).

SMPs are highly risky and if you do not do very well (better than most of your class and many of the M1s), then it could nix your dreams of med school altogether.

Don't do an SMP til you've had at least one unsuccessful cycle. Many SMPS REQUIRE an unsuccessful cycle before you are even eligible (Tulane is one of them).

SMPs are highly risky and if you do not do very well (better than most of your class and many of the M1s), then it could nix your dreams of med school altogether.

So I should just apply next year and explain my extenuating circumstances?

Impossible to advise without knowing your GPAs. Also, any rising trends?

See that's the thing, my GPA is not super low, it's just lower than I know it can be. My slightly low GPA couple with my W's made me think an SMP would be a good way to show potential medical school that "I have what it takes."

Thanks Goro!

Also, if you feel lost then feel free to take time and work/volunteer/shadow/take classes etc for a year before you apply. You are being exceptionally vague so I can't judge if you feel lost about this path in medicine or how best to make it through this part of the gauntlet.

Also, if you feel lost then feel free to take time and work/volunteer/shadow/take classes etc for a year before you apply. You are being exceptionally vague so I can't judge if you feel lost about this path in medicine or how best to make it through this part of the gauntlet.

I'm not lost concerning my desire to be a physician, I'm just lost with the whole idea of applying next year and the general sense of uncertainty in doing so but I guess that makes me normal. I've shadow a good amount and done a little clinical volunteering and I'm pretty sure I want to go forward but I guess I'm having fear of the unknown.

I guess any underdog applicant feels the way I feel.