Is an SMP the best option for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedinpa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently a junior Biology major looking at the best path for medical school. I am a little behind schedule taking my pre-reqs since I declared my major sophomore year so I haven't taken Organic Chem 2 or Biochemistry(I think its just recommended at some schools) yet. I also haven't taken the MCAT yet, I plan on studying for it this summer and taking it in August. Since I know medical schools look at those with completed MCATS first I'm thinking it would be best to wait and apply to medical schools next year, so would a SMP be good in this instance? I have a good gpa 3.7 and ~3.6 Science GPA, I wasn't sure if and SMP would be good or not or if I'd be better off doing something else in the gap year or trying to apply to med schools this cycle. Thanks!!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm currently a junior Biology major looking at the best path for medical school. I am a little behind schedule taking my pre-reqs since I declared my major sophomore year so I haven't taken Organic Chem 2 or Biochemistry(I think its just recommended at some schools) yet. I also haven't taken the MCAT yet, I plan on studying for it this summer and taking it in August. Since I know medical schools look at those with completed MCATS first I'm thinking it would be best to wait and apply to medical schools next year, so would a SMP be good in this instance? I have a good gpa 3.7 and ~3.6 Science GPA, I wasn't sure if and SMP would be good or not or if I'd be better off doing something else in the gap year or trying to apply to med schools this cycle. Thanks!!:thumbup:

SMPs are ideal for people with low GPAs and high MCAT scores. Your GPA is pretty solid, so I would not recommend doing an SMP. Just do well on your MCAT (30+) and you're fine. You could apply this year, but you might be slightly late, but it's still doable.

I'd say just take the classes you need to take, take the MCAT, and spend your gap year doing something that will help you in other ways. Do research, go abroad, etc. Good luck!

No, no, a thousand times no. SMPs are for people who have dug themselves into a hole academically and need to dig themselves back out again. All you need to do to get into medical school is break 30 on the MCAT and apply, no additional work necessary. If you feel the urge to do more coursework on your year off, try a 1 year masters or 1 year MPH, at least that might help you match into a better residency (I believe the application deadlines are coming up, though). You can also just relax, if you´d prefer.

Also, yeah, you definitely have a shot for 2009 with the August MCAT, if you apply broadly and get your app out as soon as your scores come back. Don´t be discouraged if you end up applying twice, but you definitely should at least apply if you´re financially able to.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, no, a thousand times no.

Also, yeah, you definitely have a shot for 2009 with the August MCAT, if you apply broadly and get your app out as soon as your scores come back. Don´t be discouraged if you end up applying twice, but you definitely should at least apply if you´re financially able to.

Thank you so much for this advice:thumbup: I wasn't sure if I should even bother with applications for AMCAS this application session, but I think I definitely will and know that I may have to apply twice.

Yeah, SMP's are for people who have lower uGPA. Your uGPA looks fine. Just rock the MCAT and apply broadly (and early). GL!