Is anesthesiology realistic for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstud22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO student, mediocre grades (mid B average), USMLE step I of 207, COMLEX level I of 640. Some research in a non-related field, have done pretty well so far in 3rd year. Is it possible to do anesthesia on the allo side or am I done as far as acgme is concerned? That 207 was an anomaly as I was scoring pretty high on practice NBMEs, pretty confident I can score well on step II. Should I look towards the DO programs? I think I may have shot myself in the foot by taking the USMLE in retrospect.

Members don't see this ad.

Line up some away rotations at reasonable programs (not Harvard or Stanford...some place you can match), kill USMLE Step 2 and see how it goes. If you get >240 on Step 2 you can definitely still match somewhere.

Line up some away rotations at reasonable programs (not Harvard or Stanford...some place you can match), kill USMLE Step 2 and see how it goes. If you get >240 on Step 2 you can definitely still match somewhere.

agree - though a 240 would be ideal as long as you improve significantly I think you have a shot. go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above comments. I'd recommend a year subscription to UWorld and do questions throughout the year. A supplemental review course like DIT might be helpful too. You'll definitely have to take USMLE step 2 early 4th year (July) so you can have your scores back in time for ERAS ~sept 1st. Make sure you have all of your LOR's, PS, scores etc uploaded and ready to submit on 9/1. Don't skimp on the primary eras apps, apply broadly (60+ programs isn't a stretch) to programs that currently have DO's residents.

Thanks guys/gals, I plan to take step II early and hope to do well. Just wondering what programs I should look at when rotating and how many places to rotate at. I can potentially rotate at as many as 5 programs. Let me know what you think guys.

I'm far from an expert on this process, but I've applied mostly to midwestern programs and have seen quite a few DOs on the interview trail. It seems that the programs in the middle of the country are pretty DO-friendly.

Just do your best. The sky is the limit with enough motivation. Good luck.