1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is another MCAT possible before apps?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Polo423, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Polo423

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took the MCAT in May and received a score of a 28Q. I of course would love to raise my score to at least a 30, however I also want to apply this year. If I take the MCAT in August would I still be able to use those scores my application this year?

2. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ladies, lets be civil.

OP: Yes, you can retake and some schools will hold your application until they receive updated scores. HOwEVER, keep in mind that different schools handle multiple scores in different ways. Some average your two scores, some take your best overall test, and I think one or two take the best from each section. Be warned however that some take your most recent score, whether it is higher or lower, and many retakers do not increase their scores at all. If you do decide to retake it I recommend you visit the 30+ MCAT thread for tips on the best way to study, there are some re-takers in there. Best of luck to you!

30+ MCAT Study Habits:
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503250

3. nontrdgsbuiucmd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What's your breakdown? Almost every school I spoke with about last year's app cycle based their decision on my low single section score rather than than my overall 27.

So if any section score is below 8, I'd retake. 9/9/10, probably not because it seems more likely that the test is a true indicator of where you're at now regarding knowledge of the material.

Other variable may be grades, if youre GPA is way below average for the schools you want, it may be better to retake the MCAT this year to get you in the running. Just recognize that an August test date will put you at a reasonably large disadvantage for this year's cycle; you'd have to expect to do substantially better on the MCAT to warrant that risk.

4. polarizer

2+ Year Member

Hey I have a 31R on my MCAT. I am retaking in september. Should I specify on my AMCAS that I am taking a later test? I am only applying to lower tiered american medical schools...

5. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You should, but more importantly, why are you taking it again? a 31R is a good score, esp for the type of school you are applying to.

6. Malkuri

Malkuri New Member

I have a similar but stranger predicament.

I too am applying this month.

I recently took the MCAT on June 13, but I have a bad feeling about the scores coming out on July 13. I'm considering taking the MCAT again in August depending on how my scores are. If they're good, I won't take it again, but if they're bad, then (god forbid) I might take the MCAT again in August.

Because of this, I can't predict if I'm going to take the MCAT in August, yet the application tells me to list planned future MCATs.

What will happen if I don't list a planned MCAT in my app, and then take the MCAT again in August? Will the schools still see the August scores?

7. polarizer

2+ Year Member

Well, I am also applying to Canadian schools and here you need at least a 10 in every section, which I don't have...