Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

is another pre-interview letter of interest/update letter appropriate?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by LIRRfriend, Mar 9, 2007.

1. LIRRfriend

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have been complete at Weill Cornell since August and have been lucky enough to survive what appears to be a couple of rounds of rejections but still have not received an interview invitation. It turns out that they are still offering interviews and will be interviewing until the end of March (as I confirmed in a phone call with admissions this morning). I sent a letter of interest/update in December. Since then I found out that I will be getting my name on three publications from my current job, one of which we submitted already and one of which we are writing right now (second author on both papers). Do you think it would be useful for me to send another update/letter of interest at this point? I don't want to seem desperate if it appears too late in the game to send a letter out or silly because I have already sent an update letter at one point, but at the same time, this is pretty big information, and I would want to do anything in my power to get one of these last few interview slots, as long as writing another letter doesn't make me look bad.

I also happen to be local. Do you think it would be wise (or perhaps not very wise) to tell them that I would be willing to take an interview slot if someone else cancels?

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

2. epigastric

epigastric Stewart U. Class of '11
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I sent an update to all my schools every time I had something relevant about publications. Getting second authorship is important (more so than an acknowledgement, at any rate) and worth updating. I'd send it via email as soon as possible, and throw in that you're both very interested and able to appear on short notice.

If you haven't updated since December, it's not going to be seen as too much information. If you write it carefully, it won't sound needy. Considering that they're finishing up interviews, better now than never.

3. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

I agree that an update/ letter of interest is appropriate, since you have some important things to add, along with course work completed, ongoing ECs, etc. But I would not email. Send a written letter, as it's more formal. You want to be sure it's appended to your file. I also think it is fine to add that you are local and could interview on short notice. That you are local and would like to remain in the area (and the reason, if it's a good one) should be among the reasons you list for why this school is a good fit for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...