Is Anybody Working As A Hygenist In Florida?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspita

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...or know any foreign trained dentist that is working as such?. Just curious, somebody told me it was very difficut to get the licensure, How hard could it be??? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I read somewhere that the overall pass rate is 80% ,but i dont know directly
about how difficult it will be.even im curious to find it out.

Aspita said:
...or know any foreign trained dentist that is working as such?. Just curious, somebody told me it was very difficut to get the licensure, How hard could it be??? :rolleyes:

well as far as i heard u have to clear part 1 which is similar to the stuff u study for nbde1 and then take clinical test which requires to do scaling on a patient....its shouldnt be too hard as it requires a pass mark only..unlike nbde where u need high scores...u might want to check it out.
hope that helps..

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you can apply with ur NBDE I and II for the clinical examination + test of regulations the pay varies from 35 to 65 dolars an hour!!! that's not bad uh?

hi there

good idea to start this post.i totally agree that working as a DH in florida is a good option for ppl like us.i'm planning to take this exam in june..
i suggest let us all like minded ppl get together and help each other out.
by the way i'm located at atlanta.
AJ

iamaj1 said:
hi there

good idea to start this post.i totally agree that working as a DH in florida is a good option for ppl like us.i'm planning to take this exam in june..
i suggest let us all like minded ppl get together and help each other out.
by the way i'm located at atlanta.
AJ
what test r u taking? the clinical???
After i take the NBDE II and pass (hopefully) I'm planning on aplying for the clinical in december!!! Just as a back up plan!! :)

I don't think that is true ab't the pay ,u get only between 25-35,but it dependents on area where u work ,i think u should give a 2nd thought ab't DH unless or untill u r running out of fuel. :thumbup: :luck:

to be more certain I attached this paragraph I found on this wbsite: http://www.amyrdh.com/pay.html STILL THINK IS NOT A BAD BACK UP PLAN!! :)
FLORIDA:

I am from the Tampa-Bay area. This area hygienist's make anywhere from 20-35 dollars an hour in our area...not many benefits!(1999)

I presently live in Tampa Fl. where the average pay is $25 per hour but there are many offices which offer bonus or commission. I know one hygienist who makes $72,000/yr. She works with an assistant and is on commission.(1999)

Hi! I've been working for one year now in Central Florida and my pay rate is $160/day soon to be bumped up to 168. Uniforms and CE are paid for my dental work is free. We get $100 bonus money each month when a certain office-wide production figure is reached. Our doctors work hard so it is rare when we don't make it. Also, the doctors take the entire staff on a vacation every other year...usually a cruise. Overall I consider myself to be pretty lucky to have found this office...the work environment is tremendous, the practice is very prestigious and probably best of all is the pay rate increases drastically each year!(6/3/00)

I just moved to Naples, FL. I have been on five interviews and the salaries offered ranged from $25.00 pr/hr to $31.00 pr/hr. Of course these were all part-time jobs with no benefits. I am working in 3 offices to make a full time schedule.(12/00)

I made $102,000 working 3 1/2 days per week working less than 9 1/2 mo in Brandon Florida. (4/01)

I work in Punta Gorda, FL and make $225 / day, plus paid holidays, one week paid vacation but no medical benefits. I find that the Punta Gorda/Pt. Charlotte area is behind with their pay scale and benefit packages and there is a severe lack of RDH in the area. RDHs are gong north or south to get better pay and benefits. I was fired (after 4 years of employment) because my Dr. was convinced by his new office manager that my 45% commission was too much-but his new $200/ day out of school RDH isn't making half the production that I was. When are these Drs. going to learn to look at the big picture and take care of their employees because they are the ones that will profit him in the long run. (6/01)

The average in FL is around $28 per hour. (8/01)

Hi. I am an RDH in Pensacola, Fl (Northwestmost part). From here to Tallahassee the pay is 17-22(perio practice) an hour. Only benefits are uniforms once a year and most pay CEU's and five sick days. The average RDH makes the doc 800 plus a day for normal recall @ 8 pts a day. This is too low! If you would like to talk to me about a movement nationwide to demand thirty percent of production to increase our pay, email me. It is time to educate the public and DENTISTS on our value. If they valued us they would pay us fairly. Just as we tell patients the cost of a crown is high because of the quality it will provide, so the pay we demand is a reflection of our value. If the dentists would value us the issue of preceptorship would be abolished.
toothfairyag@yahoo,com or post on www.nationalrdhassociation@yahoo/clubs.com (8/01)

I presently work in the Tampa Bay, Florida area. I have been a RDH for 2 years and have 12 years exp as a past assistant. I currently make 28. an hour. with 18 paid days a year to use as sick, vacation, or holidays. (2/04)
$25.00 per hour, Full Medical, Free Dental (immediate family), 6 paid holidays, vacation pay, all CEU's paid, 401K, uniform, allowance, Christmas bonus, and an annual 4 day cruise to Bahamas (4/2004)

I currently am working in Sarasota Florida for $31.75/hour as a temp or $250/day. I know the temp agency is in great demand for good RDHs. Check them out, Dental Power 866-836-7435 (8/2004)

I'm located in Orlando, Florida and I get 27.50/HR (1 year's exp), 2 weeks Vacation, uniforms, sick days, 401K plan and a great staff. (8/2004)

I Graduated Dental Hygiene School in May of 2004 and have no prior dental experience. I am currently making $200.00/day (Starting was $175.00/day for the first 30 days) There are no benefits, CEUs not covered, and I pay for my own Scrubs. I am working in the Sarasota area. I average 10 patients/day with 40 min. prophy's three days per week and 60 min. prophys two days per week. I work Monday - Friday which seems to be rare in this field, and there are two doctors in the office where I am employed. (10/2004)

I recently moved to FL and am making $35 an hour, 3 days a week. No benefits though since it is part time. (12/2004)

I am working in the Orlando area and currently am working two part time positions, both making $30 an hour, no benefits. (3/2005)

Pay in Ocala, FL is about $200 per day (3/2005)

Hi Aspita,
good search-that made many things clear,thanks.
Hope the lisensure wont be tough and
good luck for ur part 2 exam.

hi aspita
thank u for the information ,that really cleared a lot of things ,well,good luck for ur exams :thumbup: :luck:

if somebody thinks on going to Florida to take the test please let me know! or if you have more info about this matter please post all you get in this thread.Thanks.