IS anyone a student at USC dental school now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I would really like to have someone to contact about USC dentistry school. Is anyone a student there now? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am! :clap:

Geez....no one is replying to this post :(

What hours do you go to school?
How far in advance did you apply to the DDS program?
What is your bachelor's degree in?

How much is tuition at USC?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Answers:

1. Not very much during your first two semesters. MWF class from 8-11am or 1-4pm. Tues gross anatomy. Summer semester (third) gets hectic. You start seeing patients towards the end so lots of comp exams. Head and neck anat. Start preclinical. Recall USC is on a trimester, so things are at a less hectic rate.

2. I applied very late due to personal probs. I turned in my aadsas app feb 24 or 25? I don't remember. I got very lucky.

3. UCLA, BS in biochemistry

4. Tuition at USC is too much :(

Yellowman

Oh yeah.....second year, lots of time spent at pre clinic lab cutting teeth. Lots of comp exams again for preps.

Thanks for the info. Yellowman.:D

i'm a first year.

What was your major?

What's the admission process like?
I've been trying to get in contact with Eva(in the admissions dept).

How many people are in your class?

my major was economics. which i think gives me a leg down in pbl, since there's no structured curriculum and i have to look stuff up all the time. there are 144 students in the first year class. i think the number stays the same from year to year with the pbl program. there are 6 cells of 24 students. a large class but you become very close with your cell mates!

the admission process is alittle untraditional, kinda like pbl. you're interviewing THE school to see if it's the right match for you. not the other way around. everybody who interviewed with me got in.

i think people take pbl very lightly not knowing what it's all about. pbl isn't for some people, but if it is...pbl is a great way to learn dentistry. my advice to you is ask students (1st and 2nd years mostly because they're not a 'pilot' class) and sit request to sit in a session and see how it really works with a REAL case.

eva in admissions is really cool. i had never said a word to the woman and during week 3 i stopped in the hall and she knew my name. which kinda was nice, you know. she's very helpful.

good luck to ya!

Thanks.
I did get in contact with Eva and she is VERY helpful.
So far, quite the opposite of the admissions counselor at UCLA!

My degree is in psychology and I need to take some additional classes before I apply to the program.

Did you check out UCLA's program?
If so how would you compare it to USC's?

i'm alittle worried about my econ background and learning hardcore science stuff. my uncle graduated from ucla. he says that ucla has it's problems. it's a traditional program so trying to compare sc and ucla is the apple/orange argument.

speaking with a few first years (mind that they haven't gone through the program yet) most say they would have definitely thought twice about sc. but some really love pbl.

apply to 15 to 20 places. it's expensive but it'll give you options and you'll be able to compare schools. well worth it.

i graduated from u of washington so i wasn't gonna try to apply to ucla, but good luck to you. my unc is at bu doing a specialty, so he must have done well at ucla. good luck.

dd