Is anyone crummy at timed tests? Any advice?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jezzielin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll, do any of you run into trouble with these types of exams? I am real smart and all, but I get anxiety over things like this where it worries me of how I will perform! I am one of those ppl in a test that find the 2 right answers, but never pick the best answer!!! :(

Any advice for us out there? I don't see how EK/Kaplan etc, is any harder or easier than another... all I see is another long passage!

I probably need to just keep on practicing but any advice would be awesome! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Try not to have these bad habits: Rereading the passage and continually going back to the passage, writing notes, continually looking at the time, getting bogged down on one question...

By avoiding the above I'm able to finish verbal with 2 minutes left and I am a notoriously slow reader.

Reflect on your time management when you complete a verbal exam.

Jezzielin said:
Hey ya'll, do any of you run into trouble with these types of exams? I am real smart and all, but I get anxiety over things like this where it worries me of how I will perform! I am one of those ppl in a test that find the 2 right answers, but never pick the best answer!!! :(

Any advice for us out there? I don't see how EK/Kaplan etc, is any harder or easier than another... all I see is another long passage!

I probably need to just keep on practicing but any advice would be awesome! :thumbup:

Try to keep in mind that... one answer is absolutely correct, and the other is absolutely wrong. Theres always a caveat that will distinguish the two.

Also, be wary of the "lure" answers. Those are the ones that intially seem to be the most attractive and you're not certain why. Typical "lure" answers involve a statement that could be true in real life (involving common knowledge that most people would be aware of... eg Martin Luther King was a civil rights activist/baptist minister/whatever), but doesn't have evidence backed by the actual passage. The true correct answer will always reference information SPECIFICALLY derrived from the passage.:D:thumbup:

What I found to really help me in my verbal training... was drilling with practice LSAT passages (their verbal section is identical to the MCAT... except harder). After a while, you'll find yourself being very sharp in picking up information.:D:thumbup: