Is anyone else a little scared to start dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atticus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So from December to the beginning of February, the excitement of getting accepted to dental school oveshadowed just about every other emotion I had about the situation. Now that I have gotten everything in place (i.e. where we're living, FAFSA, etc), I am a little nervous about dental school in general.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I did my due research ahead of time, but I am just afraid that I am going to make the huge investment of going to school, relocating, etc.... then fail out a month into summer semester, haha. Am I crazy for thinking this? Hearing all of the DS horror stories are making me worried!

Does anyone else feel even a bit worried about the transition to dental school? Personally, I've been graduated since December of 2007 (and working full-time since), and I think that might contribute to my concern. I always did well in school, but not because I'm naturally incredibly talented. Rather, I forced myself to study A LOT throughout undergrad and when I really applied myself is when I succeeded. I'm also worried about DS because I think I benefitted from the dingbats around me (as bad as it sounds). I probably only had to compete for high marks against 30-50% of the kids in my classes... but in Dental School, EVERYONE IS SMART! Have you ever thought about that?

I'm sure I'll be fine, maybe it's just the fact that I don't have anything else to worry about (for the first time in a couple of years) because I'm finally accepted.

What do you feel about starting DS?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Im really excited to go!!!! Just keep in mind that the schools do everything in their power to get you through D-school because they do not want anybody dropping out!!! If someone does drop out it makes the school look bad and they lose a lot of money!!!

Terrified.

But then I think 4 years down the line, when I get to walk across that stage and be dubbed "Ninja9, DDS", and my fears seem to vanish, at least for a little while. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think everyone is.

But think about how nervous you were to start middle school (I could barely sleep the night before). And high school. And even starting undergrad was a bit stressful. But looking back, we all made it through all those classes we had never seen before, made new friends, and learned how to cook and clean in the process.

It'll be fine. Try to enjoy this last summer without that weight on your shoulders. :)

Hey everyone,

So from December to the beginning of February, the excitement of getting accepted to dental school oveshadowed just about every other emotion I had about the situation. Now that I have gotten everything in place (i.e. where we're living, FAFSA, etc), I am a little nervous about dental school in general.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I did my due research ahead of time, but I am just afraid that I am going to make the huge investment of going to school, relocating, etc.... then fail out a month into summer semester, haha. Am I crazy for thinking this? Hearing all of the DS horror stories are making me worried!

Does anyone else feel even a bit worried about the transition to dental school? Personally, I've been graduated since December of 2007 (and working full-time since), and I think that might contribute to my concern. I always did well in school, but not because I'm naturally incredibly talented. Rather, I forced myself to study A LOT throughout undergrad and when I really applied myself is when I succeeded. I'm also worried about DS because I think I benefitted from the dingbats around me (as bad as it sounds). I probably only had to compete for high marks against 30-50% of the kids in my classes... but in Dental School, EVERYONE IS SMART! Have you ever thought about that?

I'm sure I'll be fine, maybe it's just the fact that I don't have anything else to worry about (for the first time in a couple of years) because I'm finally accepted.

What do you feel about starting DS?

im scared as hell too. I did well in undergrad but i felt as if i was running on my last liter of gas during my senior year. Now, four years of dental school? i was really happen that i got into dental school but now, im kinda scared to go out and compete with all those with 4.0 gpa and stuff. Its scary but i really don't have other options. I graduated almost a year ago and still looking for job, so thats always a reason for me to not want to stay at home but to go back to school. :confused::xf:

I'm going to be a dick and tell you that dental school is the worst thing I've ever done. Live it up before hand!

Your school would not have let you in if they didn't think you were mentally capable of handling the work. So if you put the hard work in, you should be fine. But yes, I think everyone is a little nervous. Failing out would be a disaster. Use that fear to fuel your drive.

I'm going to be a dick and tell you that dental school is the worst thing I've ever done. Live it up before hand!

see, this is my issue. i look at all my friends with regular 9-5 jobs and the time they can take off to go here, fly there. i'm sad i'll be missing out on my 20s.

see, this is my issue. i look at all my friends with regular 9-5 jobs and the time they can take off to go here, fly there. i'm sad i'll be missing out on my 20s.
They probably envy you a little as well.

I'm waiting to be at ur guys positions in 2 yrs from now.
June 2011 applying.

Me too...I am a realist (some may say a pessimist) about most things, and while I am excited to be a dentist, I KNOW dental school will be rough...we'll be on campus 8+ hours a day, followed by hours of studying and some on the weekends. I am not looking forward to neglecting my boyfriend and my dog, but I am anticipating that its the way things will be for the next 2-4 years. Everyone says things get better after 2nd year, so lets hope its true!

I'm in denial.. I know this will be my last 4-5 months without any type of stress of the real world.. i'm trying to make the most out of it. Even if it's just sleeping in.. ahhh *grab on*. The next time I'll feel this free again.. i'll prob be in my 50s. ARG

I'm a little nervous but I'm very excited to quit my job and start a new career path.

Members don't see this ad :)
While some of you might be a little jealous of your friends who are working and will have money, I bet that most of them are jealous of you. Speaking as someone who has worked for the last 3 years, most people don't enjoy their jobs and wish they could leave same boring routine, to go back to school.

Yes I am stressing out so much! I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'll be leaving everyone I know and love and moving out of state.

Transitioning is always hard and I know that moving away out of my comfort zone will be challenging yet exciting. Don't get me wrong I'm super excited to be fulfilling a life-long dream but it is nerve wrecking all the same. However, I do prefer this type of stress over the stresses from the last year or so (DAT, AADSAS, interviews, wait-list,etc! ;)

I believe everything we study and experience in dental school will be the greatest challenges, but they are all priceless and worthy. I am somewhat nervous, somewhat challenged and also excited to explore the school and the city. So, Enjoy yourself before going to dental school

Yeah, but you'll make up for it later on. My dad was in school until he was 35. His family told him he was crazy (none of them went to college) and he should just go get a job, like they did. I'll just say that the way their lives turned out are completely opposite. Sacrificing a few years now to get an education and live better later on will totally be worth it.

And to respond to the op, I'm in the same boat. The closer I get to starting school, the more scared I become, especially now that I have a family counting on me! I haven't been in school since December 2005, and I'm scared to see if I can still take it! But, like someone said earlier, we wouldn't have been accepted unless the school had total confidence in our abilities. Their success, after all, is directly linked to our success. So take comfort in knowing that although it will be tough, pretty much everyone around you will be rooting for you to succeed!

This is going to piss some people off, but my cousin who is a doctor always says this:
(paraphrasing here)

"The hardest thing about medical school was GETTING IN medical school, but once your in, you would have to TRY to flunk out to actually be kicked out, its kind of like middle and high school, you go in from 1 end and pop out the same end 4 years later"

I know this is a dental form, but I think this is related since dental / medical education are at the same level when it comes to difficulty

I'm in denial.. I know this will be my last 4-5 months without any type of stress of the real world.. i'm trying to make the most out of it. Even if it's just sleeping in.. ahhh *grab on*. The next time I'll feel this free again.. i'll prob be in my 50s. ARG

sleeping in... definitely gonna miss that :)

This is going to piss some people off, but my cousin who is a doctor always says this:
(paraphrasing here)

"The hardest thing about medical school was GETTING IN medical school, but once your in, you would have to TRY to flunk out to actually be kicked out, its kind of like middle and high school, you go in from 1 end and pop out the same end 4 years later"

I know this is a dental form, but I think this is related since dental / medical education are at the same level when it comes to difficulty

I don't think it should piss anyone off...most dental schools are selective of their classes because they want people who will stick with it even if things get tough. They take a loss of tuition (and a wasted spot) if someone fails out, so they are willing to do just about anything to help you and to keep you there until you finish.

can't wait for those sleepless night and tears

Wow, I'm sooo happy you posted this. It is so relieving to know that there are other people that feel like this. I don't know how hectic dental school is, except what i read about here. I wonder if it's the same scary stories people used to talk about how hard orgo would be or how hard biochem would be.
Another scary part is living alone. I, for one, have no idea how to cook clean or wash clothes. So it should be a very interesting experience. :laugh:

im having the best time of my life right now.
no time to worry about the future...

To the OP, I feel the EXACT same way! Hopefully these next few months will give me the confidence not to panic once school starts. Great thread idea by the way. Like someone else said, its a relief knowing that other people are scared too so we're not alone!

Wow, I'm sooo happy you posted this. It is so relieving to know that there are other people that feel like this. I don't know how hectic dental school is, except what i read about here. I wonder if it's the same scary stories people used to talk about how hard orgo would be or how hard biochem would be.
Another scary part is living alone. I, for one, have no idea how to cook clean or wash clothes. So it should be a very interesting experience. :laugh:

How did you manage to live through your undergrad and just in general? Sorry, but its a bit weird to hear that from someone who is over 20.:confused:
I am not tryint to be mean or anything, just interested how you did it all this time. :thumbup:

im scared as hell too. I did well in undergrad but i felt as if i was running on my last liter of gas during my senior year. Now, four years of dental school? i was really happen that i got into dental school but now, im kinda scared to go out and compete with all those with 4.0 gpa and stuff. Its scary but i really don't have other options. I graduated almost a year ago and still looking for job, so thats always a reason for me to not want to stay at home but to go back to school. :confused::xf:
I don't see the point of being competitive with your dental school classmates. Grades shouldn't matter anymore, it's all about prepping for boards and learning what you need to to be a great clinician. 80% or 100% you're still going to be a dentist in the end so don't worry!

I'm pretty nervous as well... however more excited than anything! We are all going to be so busy the time is just going to fly by. We will learn the skills we need to be successful in our careers while shedding some tears and missing out on some sleep along the way. Even though I know I'm going to get my behind kicked I'm looking forward to making life long friends and accomplishing something I have wanted for a long time. 5 years from now we will all be looking back reminiscing about our insane work loads and stressful nights (probably on SDN) and offering advice to people in the positions we are all in now. I just want to enter school with a optimistic attitude that despite the nerves, stress and difficulty of work its going to be a very positive and beneficial experience.

How did you manage to live through your undergrad and just in general? Sorry, but its a bit weird to hear that from someone who is over 20.:confused:
I am not tryint to be mean or anything, just interested how you did it all this time. :thumbup:

Lol yeah i know, i stayed in undergrad in my hometown w/ my mom so i really didnt need to learn these skills til now.

I don't see the point of being competitive with your dental school classmates. Grades shouldn't matter anymore, it's all about prepping for boards and learning what you need to to be a great clinician. 80% or 100% you're still going to be a dentist in the end so don't worry!

exactly, what do you call a dental student who graduated last in his class.....a dentist! I've heard from several D students the biggest adjustment, if you don't want to specialize, is to learn that getting an 80% is OK, just lets you have a bit more of a social life.

I'll be honest... I couldn't be more excited about starting dental school.... but at the same time I couldn't be more terrified!
With student loans and relocating... it will be interesting! but so so so worth it! think of all the people you'll be able to help when you get out! and no, you may never encounter a life or death situation, but you'll be able to help people stay healthy! I graduated last may from undergrad, and have been working as a dental assistant in a denture clinic for the last year... and I see all the patients who didn't listen to their dentists, or who's dentists terrified them and made them hate all dentists... and now they're all getting their remaining teeth extracted and having to change their lifestyle and wear dentures... we'll be able to hopefully change that.
So yes, while it's scary.... and it's going to be difficult, and you might even stress a little... it will be totally worth it in the end!

We're all going to do great!

I'm more anxious then scared.

(paraphrasing here)

You know, it's funny, I had always heard that too, and maybe for med school it is true (I'm sure it's a slight exaggeration), but at Pitt we've already lost two people in our class from grades this year alone. I'm not saying this to worry you, but just to warn you not to take it too easily. It will likely be the most hellish two years of your life - my first semester I had 25 units, and now in the summer we're finally getting a light load with a measly 21 units. It's very doable, but just be prepared for the biggest grind you've ever faced. It's also more bearable because everyone in your class is going through the wars together with you, and you really bond over it. Time and time again, I've heard the same things from dentists - "It's a four year prison sentence with hard labor, but after that you're made."

Good luck, class of 2014, I know you'll do just fine.

I'm worried about a few things (maybe im being neurotic here):

1. I'm worried that, despite the future job demand, unforseen things (economy, health reimbursements, etc) may result in financially difficult times for us, especially ones who have gone to the pricey private institutions. Right now, it may be a type of "buyers remorse" but I dont want to bust my ass for 4 years and be financially struggling for the rest of my life.

2. My cousins class mate failed out in his 4th year, and his school wouldn't reinstatef him (If I recall correctly, it was a combination of failing the boards and failing marks). He's screwed, with a tremendous amount of debt to pay back, with no degree in hand. Thats the ultimate slap in the face.

drddsman,
yes we are being a LIL bit neurotic there.

the way i see it, the people posting on this board are a little anxious/worried/scared/etc. These are the people that are going to be working their butts off because of that little fear. i highly doubt they will take their studies lightly :)

count me in, im in the same boat OP.

OH MAN! My offer just got accepted for a house in AZ This is really happening! Now the excitement of moving/starting dental school SOON is becoming a frightening reality!

For me, dental school just looks like another 4, albeit more difficult, years of undergrad. Sure, I'll be moving to another city 6 hours away, but I did the same when I went off to college. So, no, I'm not really scared. Honestly, I'm really just excited to get away from all the stupid classes I have to take in undergrad to satisfy gened requirements.

For me, dental school just looks like another 4, albeit more difficult, years of undergrad. Sure, I'll be moving to another city 6 hours away, but I did the same when I went off to college. So, no, I'm not really scared. Honestly, I'm really just excited to get away from all the stupid classes I have to take in undergrad to satisfy gened requirements.

Get ready to take all the stupid classes you have to take in dental school that they make you take for Accreditation, hahaha. :)

Vicviper most aptly described the first year of dental school with one word - Grind.

Your first year is going to be a grind, marathon, forced labor march, etc... Thing is everyone that is accepted has the track record, ability, and intelligence to make it through. You will have highs and lows, every dental student does. However there comes a point where you become immune to it, and instead of worrying or stressing you just grind it out.

In the case you are having trouble and as long as you are giving everything you have the schools will help you out as far as tutoring and remediation. Look at it from the schools perspective, if they lose you then they lose your tuition for the next few years, as they can't replace you.

Vicviper most aptly described the first year of dental school with one word - Grind.

Your first year is going to be a grind, marathon, forced labor march, etc... Thing is everyone that is accepted has the track record, ability, and intelligence to make it through. You will have highs and lows, every dental student does. However there comes a point where you become immune to it, and instead of worrying or stressing you just grind it out.

In the case you are having trouble and as long as you are giving everything you have the schools will help you out as far as tutoring and remediation. Look at it from the schools perspective, if they lose you then they lose your tuition for the next few years, as they can't replace you.
Good point

I would not count on it, as many schools have programs for accepting and integrating foreign trained dentists into their 2nd and 3rd years...so yeah I would not count on schools' bail out :smuggrin:

I don't even know how I am gonna adjust to the 6 hours or less of sleep per day for 3 years. I can't even get satisfy with 8 hours worth of sleep. So ya..it's gonna suck.