Is anyone else already getting only 5hrs of sleep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nishi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just can't believe that I am just 2 weeks into the start of the semester and I have already had several nights of sleeping only 4 hours or 5 hours. I don't see how I can keep this up until April. I think I am doing too many extracurriculars :(

Members don't see this ad.

You're lucky. This week I'm on q1 on call rotation. Nothing like some pager duty all night long in addition to working all day and going to classes at nights/weekends. If someone says they can do it without burning out for years -> they're lying.

I'm on year 9 and I'm so sick of it. Atleast if the oncall was medically related I'd be more challenged. This stuff I'm on call for is the pits. They pay a heck of a lot, so that's why I stick around. But it'll catchup to you. So get some sleep!

2 hours of sleep 3 if i am lucky. the closer i get to april the less it will be.... i am very delusional, molecules on my practice test move around....sleeping is for humans...

Members don't see this ad :)
I've pretty much cut my days down to the bare necessities --> studying for regular classes, studying and practicing for the MCAT, and working out

I've told my friends I'd rarely be available this semester...and though its frigging hard, I have to turn them down a lot to stick to my schedule as of now. Getting about 5-6 hours of sleep a night...but always end up taking a 3 hour nap somewhere during the day...I can't resist :(

my quarter started the first week of january, and ever since then, i have been getting 4-5 hrs of sleep. its the same routine every day, class, research, volunteer (some days) in the morning/afternoon, study for mcat/classes night.

When i studied this time last year i was working 10 hour days in a lab, coming home, getting more of the sweet stuff (coffee), and then hitting the books only to get 4 hours of sleep and repeat the day over. Its tough, but just think of the rewards, namely, the letter you receive saying that youve been accepted.
I found/find that getting one or two good nights of sleep/wk is sufficient to keep you going. On fri or sat night stay in and just relax, get as much sleep as you can. Goodluck.

Between working (full-time), tutoring (part-time), volunteering, and studying for the MCAT, I'm pretty much getting only 4-5 hours a night.
Right now I'm on 3 hours sleep, and my day is not even half done yet!!!

you all can't do this... your brain cells need time to recuperate.. it won't do any good to study this much. you don't remember the info!

you know you're tired when you go to sleep at 9 pm on friday and sleep until 12 noon. until you've done that, you're fine. besides, the 8 hours that people say you should get is actually a lot for some people, most adults supposedly function just fine on 6 hours.

10 hours of sleep!

I can't help it, all I can ever do is sleep, sleep, sleep. It's uncontrollable :( as a result I don't feel like I'm studying enough

fpr85 said:
I can't help it, all I can ever do is sleep, sleep, sleep. It's uncontrollable :( as a result I don't feel like I'm studying enough

A feeling I know all too well. :sleep:

I don't function without enough sleep. I wish I could get only 5 hours a night! I really need the extra time. Especially now that I broke my right arm, and everything is taking about 3x as long as before. It's really screwing with my studying (well it's gonna, I just broke it last night) because I still have to write papers and things for school, which means a lot of left-handed single hand typing. I'm already getting better at it but it's still awfully tedious!

LOL. I've been taking like 10 minute naps off and on at the library to make up for 5 hours a night! :) All this work has got to pay off right? :thumbup: :

tigress said:
I don't function without enough sleep. I wish I could get only 5 hours a night! I really need the extra time. Especially now that I broke my right arm, and everything is taking about 3x as long as before. It's really screwing with my studying (well it's gonna, I just broke it last night) because I still have to write papers and things for school, which means a lot of left-handed single hand typing. I'm already getting better at it but it's still awfully tedious!

you could always get one of those voice recognition things that will put your words on the screen. breaking your arm definitly sucks though. when i broke my wrist, i accidently got the cast wet trying to wash my hands, big mistake. it starts to stink, really bad. and the itching will drive you crazy. when you go in the shower, use two heavy duty trash bags and if you can, a rubber band at the top. if not, duct tape. i've had lots of experience with attempting to shower with casts on, though it's usually on my ankle, not my arm.

maybe i shouldn't bring up to the adcom's how often i'm on crutches. although with my luck, when i go for interviews, i'll probably have my ankle in a big old cast or brace thingie. oh well, i guess it's my own fault i'm a klutz, and i don't like staying inactive.

I've gotta have 7 a night, or i would just end up getting sick and losing time with the inevitable r&r

musiclink213 said:
you could always get one of those voice recognition things that will put your words on the screen.

does those thing really work? o_.