Is anyone else getting pissed off practicing the writing sample?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jzeidenb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont feel like practicing this section as many times as im practicing the other sections, on my first 3 practice full lengths i skipped it and on my last 2 i did just 1. For the last 3-4 ill do both but ugh i hate writing these things (although my kaplan grader said my essays i did write were good)

Members don't see this ad.

I dont feel like practicing this section as many times as im practicing the other sections, on my first 3 practice full lengths i skipped it and on my last 2 i did just 1. For the last 3-4 ill do both but ugh i hate writing these things (although my kaplan grader said my essays i did write were good)

Hahaha yep, sounds exactly like what I do. I'll usually write the first essay, and then start writing the second, get bored, and just pretty much stop. Though this is for the AAMC practice exams, and I just can't do something that I know won't be graded.

i did the full essay only on my first full length.

on each subsequent one i just came up with ideas to make sure i COULD write about it if i had to..

Members don't see this ad :)
I literally never practiced for the essay section. I read the princeton review Thesis-Antithesis-Synthesis thing, and just went in and did it. I finished both essay section in 30 min and just moved on. Ended up getting an O, which isn't good at all, but I could live with it.

The essay portion is bull**** unless you're Canadian.

I never practiced writing sample and I got a Q on the real thing just following Kaplan's strategy. I don't think there's any point in practicing it unless you really want a high score for ego

I know there are three parts to the question - thesis, antithesis, and resolution. When you write your essays, do you actually have a clear thesis statement? I'm thinking you can't cover the entire essay with the thesis statement anyway so I just give the meaning, explain a contradiction, and resolve the issue. I didn't really use a thesis per se, but what do u think?

I never even wrote one of the essays and got a R. As long as you can hold a single idea and write a complete sentence, you should get 4s on all of the scoring.

During the exam, I did find that the essay was a nice break from thinking and I felt very refreshed going into the BS section.