Is anyone else Not all that psyched to start their MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZainZ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I'll be starting in less than a month (!OMG!) and I wish I was excited, but I'm just dreading the day (Its circled red on my calendar).
I just get super anxious everytime I think about it, and I wish I was looking forward to it more...I worked so hard to get in, but now that elation has worn off...
Does/ Did anyone feel this way starting?
What did you do to generate some positivity for yourself?

:(

Members don't see this ad.

ZainZ said:
So...I'll be starting in less than a month (!OMG!) and I wish I was excited, but I'm just dreading the day (Its circled red on my calendar).
I just get super anxious everytime I think about it, and I wish I was looking forward to it more...I worked so hard to get in, but now that elation has worn off...

Anxiety is normal, dread is not. If you are dreading it before it even starts, it's going to be an awful long year for you. Most people are excited about at least some aspect of the program. A lot of those that just see every moment as a dread, a means to an end, don't tend to thrive in this environment. You may want to talk to a counselor or something about this.

Law2Doc said:
Anxiety is normal, dread is not. If you are dreading it before it even starts, it's going to be an awful long year for you. Most people are excited about at least some aspect of the program. A lot of those that just see every moment as a dread, a means to an end, don't tend to thrive in this environment. You may want to talk to a counselor or something about this.

I don't see the 4 years as a mean to an end- I think many aspects of it will be interesting, if difficult. Its just that you rarely hear anything positive about going to Med school, as opposed to college ("best time of your life, etc.")

Members don't see this ad :)
ZainZ said:
I don't see the 4 years as a mean to an end- I think many aspects of it will be interesting, if difficult. Its just that you rarely hear anything positive about going to Med school, as opposed to college ("best time of your life, etc.")

It likely won't be the best time of your life. You won't have the social or party or drinking life most college students have in med school. It will be hard work. But a lot of it will be interesting, rewarding. This is a difficult career path, sure. But you need to embrace the challenge, not dread it.

ZainZ said:

To me I believe that my medical school experience will be far superior to my undergrad, college years for several reasons: I can finally fullfill my dream of learning to become a doctor, rather than taking classes such as inorganic chem which as far as I know will never help me to become a better physician; I will be around people who, I hope, truly care about medicine and the impact it can have on society. Don't get me wrong, college was awesome but I sure as hell didn't go through those 4 years of school, the MCAT, and many applications to not be pysched about not only medical school but the rest of my life as a doctor. :D

If you read a lot on SND you will see much more negative than positive, and it's the same with current students with whom I've spoken. Occasionally I dread the sacrifice, but mostly I'm excited about the challenge. I think there was a thread on here a few months ago that actually discussed the positive side of things. If you have the oppurtunity though, I've volunteered at a free clinic near my school and absolutely love it. It gives you a sense of purpose before you get bogged down in books.

ZainZ said:

I would compare the experience to boot camp. I had to go through 4 months of boot camp. it was hard work, little sleep, lots of running, cleaning yelling and so on. but i met some of my best friends during that time and created life long bonds. and looking back I can remember mostly funny stories and laughing. It is not an experience I would like to repeat but it was non the less a good one.

Sorry man, I can't relate. Med Students are sooooooooooo sweet that I want to crap my pants. I can't believe it sometimes, but I feel it inside my heart. These guys are totally awesome and that's a fact. Med Students are fast, smooth, cool, strong, powerful, and sweet. I can't wait to start med school next year. I love med students with all of my body (including my pee pee).

ZainZ said:

I did not particularly dread the beginning of med school (EIGHT YEARS AGO!) and wasn't particularly anxious about. I simply DID NOT want to go for lots of different reasons. I hardly thought about the time committment/difficulty, I just did not want to go. I thought about dropping out even after school started. I called back the person who had offered me a job...etc. I have friends who said, 'she is not going to make it...' However, I made it. Med school is fine. It is hard, but not impossible. I am going to be done with residency shortly, (got delayed because of maternity leave,) and I am so glad I am a physician. Nothing beats the high of helping someone.

I'm bored out of my freakin... freakin mind!!! I wish school would start tomorrow dammit. I'm ready to get this show on the road. All the partying, drinking and road tripping gets old after awhile. My mind has been on idle since graduation. I feel like trash for not doing anything productive in the last few months. Bring on the endless hours of studying... it gives meaning to my sad existence :D

ZainZ said:

I definitely feel a little anxiety before starting next month (whether I'm smart enough to do this, am I in over my head, etc.), but it's not dread. I guess now would be a good time to step back for a second, reevaluate your motive for becoming a physician, and see if this is really something you want to get yourself into. It's such a long, hard road and it so hard to turn back once you've started down this path.

I am ready to start moving forward I feel like I have been in purgatory. If I was a red sox pitcher I would be papelboner right now. I am a cynic by nature so I find that focusing on some posititve aspect always helps me through any feelings of impending dread

aside-law2doc I always liek your advice

SanDiegoSOD said:
Sorry man, I can't relate. Med Students are sooooooooooo sweet that I want to crap my pants. I can't believe it sometimes, but I feel it inside my heart. These guys are totally awesome and that's a fact. Med Students are fast, smooth, cool, strong, powerful, and sweet. I can't wait to start med school next year. I love med students with all of my body (including my pee pee).
Plagiarism! From realultimatepower.net

Ninjas are sooooooooooo sweet that I want to crap my pants. I can't believe it sometimes, but I feel it inside my heart. These guys are totally awesome and that's a fact. Ninjas are fast, smooth, cool, strong, powerful, and sweet. I can't wait to start yoga next year. I love ninjas with all of my body (including my pee pee).

Members don't see this ad :)
WhatUpDoc! said:
I'm bored out of my freakin... freakin mind!!! I wish school would start tomorrow dammit. I'm ready to get this show on the road. All the partying, drinking and road tripping gets old after awhile. My mind has been on idle since graduation. I feel like trash for not doing anything productive in the last few months. Bring on the endless hours of studying... it gives meaning to my sad existence :D

Enjoy the freedom while it lasts and enjoy not having anything to do, because during your 4 years there won't be much free time.

""It doesn't matter," Tyler says. "If the applicant is young, we tell him he's too young. If he's fat, he's too fat. If he's old, he's too old. Thin, he's too thin. White, he's too white. Black, he's too black."

This is how Buddhist temples have tested applicants going back for bah-zillion years, Tyler says. You tell the applicant to go away, and if his resolve is so strong that he waits at the entrance without food or shelter or encuragement for three days, then only then can he enter and begin the training."

Sorry, just thought it was appropriate.

I'm not horrified of beginning medical school, I'm more nervous about leaving my currently cushy and low stress existence as a lab tech, surrounded by my family and friends for New York.

Oh and the hot steaming pile of debt I just started put a damper on things too.

Really? People I've talked to said those years were some of the most fun years of their life.

Now, if you are getting into it for the wrong reasons (wrong for you, that is), then its something different.

Just make sure you really enjoy yourself before you start. Do the things you doubt you'll have time to do in med school.

I'm actually really looking forward to starting school, and I'm definitely looking forward to living in SF.

What I'm dreading is the part that happens before school starts: finding a place to live (I'm doing that this week and I have this doomsday scenario in my head that I'll end up either paying $1700 a month for a studio or living on the other side of the city because I have a dog) and actually moving (because let's face it, moving blows.) And I started crying last night thinking about how very, very far away I'll be from all the people I love most in the world. That part is gonna suck, and it's dominating my thoughts about the beginning of med school. Adjusting is going to be tough, and I know that's a cliche, but it's true.

hmmm ... maybe the title of this thread should be "is anyone else not all that psyched to start med school" ... honestly i thought you were talking about starting residency (since, technically, that IS starting the MD). because, in reality, you're really nothing in med school ... take it from a lowly third year at the bottom of the totem pole in the hospital ...

potteaj said:
To me I believe that my medical school experience will be far superior to my undergrad, college years for several reasons: I can finally fullfill my dream of learning to become a doctor, rather than taking classes such as inorganic chem which as far as I know will never help me to become a better physician; I will be around people who, I hope, truly care about medicine and the impact it can have on society. Don't get me wrong, college was awesome but I sure as hell didn't go through those 4 years of school, the MCAT, and many applications to not be pysched about not only medical school but the rest of my life as a doctor. :D

Ditto. Undergrad was fun, but I can't wait for medical school to start. It will be great to be taking classes that are very pertinent to my future. Also, a much smaller class size will be a nice change.

I'm not dreading the start of medical school by any means, but i've noticed a lack of excitement for sure. Maybe the fact that I'm moving back in with my parents after 5 years of being out of state has something to do with it :rolleyes:

I start in a week, and I dont know, sometimes I want to run (or defer), but sometimes I'm happy that I finally get to do something (after a long boring summer) :eek: + :) = :confused:

I'm starting school barely one week after completing a grueling summer of course work to finish my master's degree. Though I keep getting asked if I'm excited to start med school, I find it difficult to honestly say yes.

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to meeting everyone and getting acquainted with my new life. But I really wish I had a solid two weeks or so to decompress before things get crazy.

I know, I know. World's smallest violin. +pity+

I'm with Brownie and her moving woes- I am so excited to start school, but the thought of moving from CA to NY, leaving people behind, etc... has totally dominated my thoughts...I've tried avoiding thinking about it, but that's not too helpful :p It has been helpful looking at my school's site at differnet things they offer, what professors have done, clubs I could join.... But NYC really is far :eek:

ZainZ said:

Hey. I completely understand your feelings, and I certainly don't think you need to talk to a counselor or something like others have suggested. I was totally totally scared for med school to start last fall. I was certainly more anxious for school to start than for my first exam once we were a month in. For me, it was just this sort of unknown, difficult experience that I was starting, and a tiny part of me was afraid that I couldn't hack it. A year later, with several honors in courses under my belt, I'm totally excited to start the 2nd year.

So, I'd say you are normal. Just be cool, and enjoy the experience. There is lots of good to be found in medical school, even if it is difficult. It is a time to grow and develop a certain toughness that you need as a physician. That's how I've seen it.

Good luck and congratulations.

dbaldes said:
Hey. I completely understand your feelings, and I certainly don't think you need to talk to a counselor or something like others have suggested. I was totally totally scared for med school to start last fall. I was certainly more anxious for school to start than for my first exam once we were a month in. For me, it was just this sort of unknown, difficult experience that I was starting, and a tiny part of me was afraid that I couldn't hack it. A year later, with several honors in courses under my belt, I'm totally excited to start the 2nd year.

So, I'd say you are normal. Just be cool, and enjoy the experience. There is lots of good to be found in medical school, even if it is difficult. It is a time to grow and develop a certain toughness that you need as a physician. That's how I've seen it.

Good luck and congratulations.

Anxiety does not equal dread. It's normal to be anxious, nervously excited for school to start. Not so sure about dreading it.

I certainly agree with the other posts that i'm getting very apprehensive about this new journey. I'm starting in 3 weeks and i'm not 'dreading' the new training but rather getting insecure about my abilities and if i'm really cut out to go through this training. However, i think that this is natural, because really, we haven't experienced being a physician or going through med school first hand. yeah we may have shadowed physicians and talked to med students, but really how can we encapsulate such an experience without actually experiencing it? So to the OP, you're not the only one in this boat, and even if you dread it, I don't think you should seek counseling as one person suggested. You've made it this far, you obviously did very well in undergrad and surpassed many hurdles, and med schools think you're fit and have what it takes to be a physician, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten in. I think you'll do just fine-just have faith in yourself.

ZainZ said:

I totally sympathize. I dreaded med school so much that I had nightmares during the first week of orientation. I thought that I had the ability, but I was convinced that I had made a gigantic mistake and that medicine wasn't for me. But at that point, there didn't seem any way of turning back, and everything that everyone said ("You should be grateful, when so many people would love to be where you are, etc.") made it 100 times worse. That, on top of my mountain of debt, made me want to scream.

College WAS the best time of my life, but...honestly, now that I look back at college, I'm stunned at what a safe existence it was. It was like I was in a bubble, and just saw little bits and pieces of real life. In just a year and a half, I've seen the best and worst of people. Seeing patients, for me, is so much better than anything that I ever did in college. It's also kind of an adrenaline rush to apply something that you learned in a classroom to a patient encounter. (A geeky adrenaline rush, but, hey.) You'll also experience things that most people would never dream of - what it feels like to hold a human heart in your hands, to be in such a trusted position that people open up to you about their lives. I've had patients open up to me about the fact that they're HIV+, or that they were sexually abused as a child, or about current abuse. So, medical school's been a pretty profound experience for me. Hopefully, it will be for you too.

Count me as another person who's dreading the move, both from a logistical and an emotional perspective, most of all. I'm sitting here in my living room thinking about how in the hell we're going to pack down all of our junk from our four years of living here into a 6 x 7 x 8 moving container. Also, subjecting my cats to three days in the car is going to be horrible. Also, quite frankly, I'd rather be in Portland than Oklahoma City, even though there are some advantages of OKC.

Academically, I really am dreading gross anatomy, not because of the dead body aspect but because of copious amount of detail you have to learn. Other than that, I'm sort of excited about learning new stuff and being a full-time student again. Oh yeah, I'm also very, very worried about money.

Yes, I was another one of those who DREADED med school. I seriously thought about deferring to do some soul-searching. But, you know, it turns out that med school was actually one of the greatest decisions I've made in my life.

Try not to let yourself get too freaked out about the workload. You can handle it. The admissions people have been doing this for a long time and they know what it takes to make it through med school. If you weren't capable of doing the work, they wouldn't have let you in.

Sometimes the negative comments on this site can give you a skewed perception of what it's really like. Yes, med school is stressful and time-consuming at times. Now that I have the pace and intensity of med school as a basis for comparison, the pace of my undergrad Psychology classes seems like a total joke to me. However, it's also easier to feel motivated to work harder when it's something directly relevant to your interests, and I've learned a lot of cool and important things in just this first year.

I was worried about having a bleak existence of four years of constant studying. Turns out that I do have a decent amount of free time now that I have figured out how to study efficiently (once you've taken a few tests, you develop a sense for what the high yield topics are and whether it's worth your time to attend class in person or not). As long as you are willing to make a reasonable effort to keep up with the work, are willing to seek out tutoring if you find you're struggling, etc. then you should have no trouble staying afloat.

I guess I tend to think that if you're doing it for the right reasons (because you have a genuine interest and passion for medicine), then you'll probably be happy you took the plunge even though certain times may be difficult. The road isn't really that long when you break it up into small chunks. Don't focus on making it through the whole four years. Focus on just making it through the first test, then the next, then the next...then the whole semester will be over before you know it. :) The first year really flew by for me. It really wasn't that bad, overall. I can't think of any other sort of work I'd rather be doing. :)

I'm excited about med school, but also sad that this summer is about to end and my freetime will be up. I enjoy waking up and clicking on my computer to surf and post at my leisure, and watching as much TV as I want. I like being able to go through one episode of TV after another without worrying about time.

I like reading one book after another after another without feeling guilty. I enjoy going out on weekends with family to the mall, or eating out, or talking on the phone with friends without having to worry about exams. Ah, summer! :D

College was the best time of my life, but I didn't do much partying or drinking. I studied a lot. However, I had plenty of friends and I liked that there were a bunch of people my age around all the time doing the same stuff I was doing.

I have two great fears about med school:

1. I fear med school will be filled with boring nerds who'd rather huddle in their rooms all day between exams. I have no friends in this city so I'm hoping my med school class will offer me the emotional support I will need to survive med school.

2. I'm also worried about the class load. I have heard horrible things about the amount of information we are required to memorize, the fast pace of teaching etc. However, college was already pretty rough for me academically and I burned out. I hope to maintain some balance in med school but I also don't want to sacrifice my grades for it. My hope is that I will do well in med school and still maintain some semblence of a social life.

We will see.

However, the good news today is that this is my 1000th post!!!! :hardy: :D

I know how you feel, and I'm sure there is an element of what you feel in all of us. Medschool is likely to be a big adjustment, both socially and academically, and like all big adjusments, it takes time to get used to (but being human, and generally pretty adaptive, you WILL adjust).

I think that to aknowledge this fact and then look on to all the positives to be had from the experience (new friends, learning something new and interesting, the many coping skills that will surely serve you well for the rest of your life, etc, etc...) is the way to go.

Life's too short to dwell on it's many minor hardships.

A month ago I probably felt a mix of excitement/worry because you always hear about how hard med school is. Luckily, I am in a prep program at my school this summer that started last week. We are going over Anatomy and Biochem. Now I am able to put my worry into perspective and I can now say from experience that Anatomy is a beast at first. But after one week of doing anatomy it has gotten me really excited about med school now that the anxiety has subsided.

I look at it as just more school, hence the :confused: factor. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I made it into med school. I just don't have those anxious butterflies in my stomach. In fact, my parents are more psyched about it than I am. I wonder if I can send them to take notes for me. :laugh:

I am dreading it for a number of reasons. Moving away from my gf, moving away from the ocean. Getting serious with life. Etc.

ZainZ said:

To address this issue, I wasn't so much trying to get positive as burning off some excess happiness, but the summer before I started I took some of my favorite upbeat songs all onto the same CD and converted them into "I'm so happy I am about to start med school" songs.

Now that I am about to start surgery and getting nervous, I listen to these songs so I can remember why I came here in the first place (You know, songs like "Hands" by Jewel, etc).

This what youv'e been waiting for!

hey guys, just another experienced (M3 :)) student saying to hang in there! people deal with stress/ anticipation differently, some get excited and some (me being one of them my 1st year) anxious/ dreading the future. just because you feel that way now, doesnt mean youre doomed! first year is hard for everyone, and it probably will be hard at first, no sugarcoating, but your feelings right now have no correlation with your future success/ happiness. it will turn out fine. best of luck, you can't imagine how awesome youll feel once u get over that hump!

I'm a little unpsyched to start in 3 weeks. I've got it pretty good right now, summertime and all. I'm really not looking forward to hitting the books while it's still summer out and the sun is shining bright. Plus it's a little intimidating going back to school after being out for 2+ years. I wonder if I'll be able to get back in the swing of things. I also wonder if everything that we learn will be that usefull. If I could magically jump into my residency or rotations, I'd do it in a flash.

BAM! said:
I also wonder if everything that we learn will be that usefull. If I could magically jump into my residency or rotations, I'd do it in a flash.

Some things will be more useful in certain specialties than others. A lot of schools try very hard to link the hard science up to clinical reality/examples so it seems less removed. It's better in that respect than a lot of the college sciences, which are truly just a hurdle you have to jump through.

I m gonna start my smp (taking many med courses) and I am not psyched at all. A year ago I would have been soo excited.

Who can realistically be excited about hours and hours of studying and pulling all nighters??

Plus the school i m going to is in the middle of no where (CMS) so there will be little to do outside of class and the occasionally 45 minute trip to chicago. There arent even any cafes or starbucks near the school where I can study ( i like to study at cafes so it seems less like studying and more like chilling).

I MIGHT DEFFER.

SanDiegoSOD said:
That's the point :rolleyes:
and to anyone who doesn't know the website it would have appeared you were taking credit... (also i was being sarcastic, genius)

Now that the date is coming up...I'm kind of starting to feel anxious.

Might be partially because I'm still working on stuff because of getting off the waitlist. Stuff I had handled at my other school. Doing FinAid stuff is sucking. Finding housing from across the country is sucking too.

I will be going back to the city where I did my undergrad though...so that's pretty cool.