Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Is anyone else seriously freaking out about starting med school this fall?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by juleswinfield, May 2, 2007.

1. juleswinfield

juleswinfield Bad Mother F*#ker
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    All,

I'm starting med school this fall. I'm 28 and I've been out of school for a while so I've got a house I need to rent out, a job I'm quitting at the end of the month, and a car that's too expensive for me to keep as a peasant student. I'm also moving 1000 miles away from my family, all of my friends, and my really cool girlfriend to go to school.

The joy of getting into school is fading and the reality of the situation of the situation is starting to rear its ugly head and is completely stressing me out. Anyone else in the same boat? How are you coping?

I don't want to give up on the dream but I'm seriously stressed.

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. microgal

microgal NYC's Finest
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I definitely feel ya. I'm moving across the country away from all the friends I made in college and post grad. I'm dealing with a REALLY messy breakup with my significant other, which has made me beyond miserable, and I have to find a subletter for my ridiculous expensive manhattan apartment, which I am leaving three months before the lease is up. I'm stressed, sad and stressed. :(

.....and there is no one to help me carry boxes to the UPS store...

4. Tristy

Tristy BairesYarnCreation @ etsy
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey Jules,

I think a lot of us felt like you right before starting medschool (I was certainly freaking out and stressed to the max with all the changes last year-->cross-country move from the Midwest to the East Coast and selling our beloved car :( ). I really don't know what to say to you, only hang in there, it's a huge transition and nobody said it would be easy. It does get easier with time though. Just keep your perspective, be around friends and family, talk it out, have lots of fun, oh, and congrats!!!! :D

5. Falco2525

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I too am moving across country except from the south to the North....I will miss my family but I am excited...just wish I did not have to be so far from everyone...makes me wonder if I should have just stayed in Texas sometimes

6. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Its totally natural to be stressed out right now.

My husband and I had evacuated to CT after katrina and we had to get ourselves, our cats and our belongings (which we tried to keep to a minimum since knowing we would be doing this but still aquired a heck of alot of stuff in a year) across the country back to a city that no one knew if it was going to survive another hurricane season, find a place, find my husband a job again etc.

You are taking your first step into a whole new life, so no matter where your coming from there's going to be stress related to that. If you put yourself thru all the godawful prereq courses, slayed the MCAT beasty and went on the admissions pilgrimage then you've gotta be certain by now that this is what you really want or you would have quit long ago.

Just take a deep breath every now and again and try to remember all the excitement you felt when you got your first admission and all the amazing things that you are going to do over the coming years. Its definitely a rollercoaster but man its a good one.

7. Falco2525

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    wow you clearly had a lot mroe to deal with than I will...hope it all worked out in the end...sounds like you are doing well!

8. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I definitely am.

I am scared that I won't like it, I'm scared to fail out because I couldn't cut it, I'm scared that 3rd year is going to be horrible, not to mention that going into such huge debt (although my state has probably some of the lowest in-state tuition rates...it seems like a lot of money to me) worries me.

I have heard the same sort of thoughts from other MS0's, though, so I know that I'm not the only one.

9. MDapp06

MDapp06 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm anxious and stressed as well about beginning this new phase of my life. Leaving my job and looking at a future of educational loan debt is not appealing...it is going to be hard to give up my current salary.

I keep reminding myself that this is what I have worked hard for, and that I'm not the only person who is stressing out :)

10. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Meh, it was definitely stressful but compared with what so many from my city went thru we were really blessed. We had a family to run home to, we got the FEMA aid that alot of people didn't get, etc. It was actually kind of cleansing to lose all that stuff and realize how little it really meant, of course not in the first few weeks but eventually it turned out to be a positive experience that I learned alot about myself from. Above all it taught me that even loss has its place in life and that its all about what you make of it.
    /End thread derailment, onward with your scheduled MS0 freakouts

11. 78222

78222 Guest

Medical Student
    I moved halfway across the world to come back to medschool. I left good friends, my gf (who I am still dating), a house on the ocean, and a pretty much awesome life to come to a ghetto and cram factoids into my head. I expected to hate medschool and be miserable and I was for the first few months. Luckily there is this thing called Lexapro that is frequently dispensed to medstudents... Medschool sucks, but it could be worse, I could be working my ass off without working towards anything. Plus, you'll find you are pretty damned busy and that tends to take your mind off of how much it sucks.

12. Arsenic

Arsenic posting from the future
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    moving to pre-allo

13. alwaysaangel

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I'm massively stressing, but more because I still don't know where I'm going and won't until after May 16th. And the thought of being waitlisted and waiting all summer not knowing which side of the country I'm going to be on is making me a little sick.

But overall I'm excited to start, especially if I get to stay on this side of the country.

14. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lexapro eh? Do they have that stuff in the vending machines in the med student lounge?

15. Tristy

Tristy BairesYarnCreation @ etsy
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    They should! Along with some Xanax :laugh:

16. Jonesie

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Same here. I think that leaving my salary and living on loans is what scares me the most, followed closely by the possibility of not being able to "hack it" in school, then by the possibility of never seeing my boyfriend and close friends once school starts.

For the past five years, it seems that I've had some sort of "project" to work on: Prereq classes, MCAT studies, AMCAS application, secondaries, interview prep, etc. Now that I've been accepted and have nothing big to work on until July, I'm left with this weird, uncomfortable feeling of being unproductive. Maybe that's what's freaking me out even more. At any rate, I'm really trying to just enjoy my free time and not worry so much. :)

17. armybound

armybound urologist.

Resident [Any Field]
    I wish I had this problem.

18. 78222

78222 Guest

Medical Student
    Medschool would be a much happier place in Lexapro and Xanax were dispensed in the water fountains.

19. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Don't worry, you'll have it eventually. ;)

20. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just remember, this time next year you'll be almost done with your first year.
    (And the year goes fast, believe me.)

You'll be fine. Med school will be an adjustment, but if you are exaggerating that adjustment in your mind like I did, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised once you get into it a little bit. The first few weeks will be crazy because you will be both adjusting to your new environment and trying to keep up with school, but after that, things will most likely run smoothly.

21. melissainsd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am way more stressed out than I thought I would be. My attitude all along has been, "I just need to get in. Once you are in you will almost certainly be a doctor, and even if I am the worst in my class I'll still be Dr. Melissa."

Now I am finding myself scared about doing well enough to get a good residency. My husband is a police officer so we thought finding work for him wouldn't be a problem, but like medical school, police departments have hiring cycles. He just had ankle surgery, and if he isn't well in time for the current cycles we will have to live apart for 6 months.

All of that pales in comparison to the trepidation I am feeling regarding my son. School has been my life, but he is my heart. He is also a devout mama's boy. I am worried about whether he will feel rejected by me, and yet worried he will adjust so well that he won't my little guy anymore.

If I go to OHSU I'll be paying around $3000 a month just for medical school alone. If I get into Mayo my family will have to move to Minnesota (and my husband may not find work). If I get into UCSD we will be near my family but won't be able to afford a house, and will be paying OOS fees. Ugh.

Don't get me wrong, I know I am unbelievably lucky to have a fantastic supportive husband, loving son, and medical school acceptances...I just wish I could fast forward a little to make sure it all turns out okay.

22. cal_girl

cal_girl Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm in the same boat as you guys.
    Though i'm not moving out anywhere, quitting my decent paid job and going back to poor student life is not appealing to me. I just keep constantly reminding myself that it'll be just 4 yrs. I still remember moving out of my parents house (my comfort zone) years ago for undergrad. It's a big step for me at that time...but i did make new friends, adjusted to new life and got more independent.
    There are always good things come along with moving too... Just be optimistic. :)

23. Wanna_B_Scutty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ^^^ Perhaps we could even make this into a national campaign, much like water fluoridation is today! :D

24. Steve203

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    random comment

25. Trismegistus4

Trismegistus4 Worried Wellologist
    Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes. While halfway through my post-bac, I was dumped by the girlfriend who was pretty much my inspiration to go through with this in the first place (and who I recently found out just got engaged to another man.) I somehow had enough momentum to finish the classes, study for and take the MCAT, go on interviews, and get accepted. Now, however, I'm starting to question whether I should leave all my friends and family, move to another city where I know no one, take on >$200k in debt for a notoriously intense 4-year degree followed by a notoriously intense 3-6 year low-paying training program, irrevocably committing myself to not making a decent income again until I'm 40.

I envision myself buried under a pile of books at the library, on a cold dark winter afternoon, faced with the task of memorizing 500 pages worth of information in a week, thinking "why am I doing this? I could be making $100k a year as a plumber!"

26. KeyLime

10+ Year Member

It seems like a lot of us, myself included, are taking the doomsday approach when thinking about next year. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the worst while still hoping for the best outcome.

27. 78222

78222 Guest

Medical Student
    Look guys, let me tell you, medschool sucks but it certainly isn't as bad as most of you seem to think it will be. It is definitely managable - IF this is something you really want to do (if not you will probably fail out of quit because you hate it). Since most of you have made it this far, I can safely assume you are pretty committed people and thus will do fine.

Now is the time to quit worrying and make that transition from childish, high strung premeds, to aggravated - yet stoic medstudents. Seriously, in a year, you will look back at the people who, like you now, are pulling their hair out, stressing over books to buy (way before they should even be consider thinking about books), and being just all around douchey premeds, and mark my words - you will want to smack them and assure yourself that you were never as pathetic as the runts below you. So relax, it ain't that bad.

28. menaniac

menaniac Moxious!
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student

I know this will sound bad, but its good to hear that there are others who are freaking out too. I'll be 37 when I start, know no one where i'm going, and will have very little support from my family. Somehow I've got to find and apartment that I can afford that will take me and my cats, and will still be OK enough to live in. I'm looking at crazy debt that I won't get paid off until I retire (if I can retire), and the uncertainty of not knowing where i'm going to be again in 4 more years. What have I gotten myself into! I'm trying to stay psyched, and I know I've worked hard to get here so I really must want this, but in the heat of the moment of panic, its hard to keep that all in perspective. Jules...I totally feel ya! I'm just holding my breath until the transition is over. Somehow I'm just going to have to trust that everything will turn out fine. Better than fine, I'm hoping! :)

29. TheOtter

TheOtter The First Defenestration
    2+ Year Member

I agree... my philosophy: "fear motivates".

but of course we'll all be alright. its not easy, but its doable. and what I hear from friends first hand- it's those who don't anticipate the struggle that perform the most poorly. find your balance. we'll be okay.

I just keep on reminding myself that it'll be worth it to me, and that I wouldn't be satisfied with anything else, easy or not...

30. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I am noticing that in certain respects, having family responsibilities (whether it's just a husband...more if there are children) are a little little more stressed than those of us who are going into this without that kind of pressure.

I cannot imagine, for example, even though I know it's doable, having children while I try to study or during rotation time. That must be very hard work.

31. melissainsd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Seriously. I am having surgery next week and I was excited to meet with my surgeon because she went to med school at the school I am most likely going to attend. When I mentioned that I had a kid her response was, "no." Then she stared at me with her mouth open. Super helpful. :rolleyes:

32. notgettingin

2+ Year Member

I can totally relate. Just had a really messy breakup with my bf of 4 years while I was on the interview trail, am currently at a really well paid job, and will be giving it up to accrue lots of debt and to move halfway across the country from New York to St. Louis (where I know no-one). Oh well, at least we're in!!!!!!!! And hopefully I will meet a hot resident who is my age (28!)

33. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How old is your son?

34. Trismegistus4

Trismegistus4 Worried Wellologist
    Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    30--really pathetic that he still lives with her, isn't it?

35. help79

help79 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    To the OP and everyone else, I am right there with ya! I'm 28 and I'll be quitting work, leaving NY (where I've lived all my life) and heading out to the mid-west. I'm EVER GRATEFUL to be attending med school this fall but I'm anxious as hell also. I've been single for a while and right when I'm about to leave for school I meet someone really cool. It's going to come to an abrupt end and though I'll always wonder what could have happened with the guy, I'll probably be too busy stressing over exams.

The amount of debt that I'll be accumulating also scares the crap out of me too. We'll all get through it together!

36. vintagemango

vintagemango Full-time Nerd
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is there room for one more on the 'seriously freaking out' boat? :D
    It's funny, b/c I kept telling myself that getting into med school would be the most difficult part (not that I'm deluded enough to think that med school itself is gravy), but the wait between getting accepted and school actually starting is equally slow and painful! It's just giving me way too much time to think about all of the monumental studying awaiting me/potential ways I could royally mess up--did I mention that I'll be 27 by the time I start school this Fall AND that it's been a while since I've taken classes?
    The one piece of advice I've received from current MS1's is that if you don't have one already, find a really good hobby (or like me, try to cultivate a decent one over the summer!) so that you can rely on it for stress relief.
    Wow...I guess I really should go and sign up for that underwater basket-weaving class at the Y, huh?

37. UVABranch

UVABranch one of 6000
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm sooo glad to see people my age getting in this year! (28) I can't empathize just yet but I'm still hoping for this year. If not then it'll be next. But it's good knowing that other people are getting there. I hope to not be freaked out. Probably more shocked that the first part is over and I can begin the rest of my life (at least that's how I think it will feel). Best of luck to you all!:luck:

38. goodoldalky

goodoldalky Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Uh, yeah. Majorly.

I will say that I cope by waiting to meet those people that I don't know yet that will be there, freaking out with me.

I think it's normal to be afraid at this point. There's a lyric from Third Eye Blind that sums things up, I think:

"Things that we're afraid of,
    are gonna show us what we're made of
    in the end."

39. degoo_

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    More support for this thread. I just hope things will unfold well.

40. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    Cold dark winter afternoons are easy. It's the sunny warm summer weekend afternoons when living in the library becomes a chore.

41. sendwich

sendwich you rock!
    10+ Year Member

:laugh: so true.

42. melissainsd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    He just turned one.

43. DrMcWorried

2+ Year Member

Now that I've had the opportunity to digest my acceptance, I'm getting nervous. Every time I think about medical school, I get this knot in the pit of my stomach. I guess its good to know I'm not the only one feeling a little apprehensive.

44. pennybridge

pennybridge Membership Revoked
    Removed

:laugh: surgeons! :thumbup:

45. pennybridge

pennybridge Membership Revoked
    Removed

don't worry, we'll take real good care of ya :D

the west coast is the best coast :cool:

46. bbqbakedlays

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am freaking out also, 25 yo, waitlisted everywhere, don't know where I am going, leaving a well paying job...(about 86K last year) to make negative income.. aka loans......I don't know how I will survive on student lifestyle again...these last four years have been so fun!

This whole process seems like a cruel joke, and the worst part is if I don't get in I wasted all that money applying and interviewing! Also, this is the first year I applied even though I took the MCAT in April 04. It expires if I don't get in!!!!! Can you imagine retaking that bad boy after almost getting accepted? Whatever..I would probably do even better but I don't have the time to study and work full time. Let's just hope I get off at least one waitlist and I am worried for nothing!
    Not trying to whine because I would do all that to get in but who wants to go through that crap again! Especially after being so close!
    They need to change this system and I need a drink.:confused:

47. Silence

Silence Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    my situation mirrors yours almost exactly. same age, same part of the country, and most likely going to the same med school... so i know exactly how you feel. :eek:

48. Mr. Belding

Mr. Belding The Dude abides
    7+ Year Member

It's true. We have burritos here.

49. Ginkneephur

Ginkneephur Insane Since 1984
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm scared. Scared that I will fail, that med school will be too hard for me, that it won't be what I thought, that I will never see my family/bf, that my bf will get fed up with me being consumed by med school. I was hoping this summer would be awesome and stress free but my anxiety is building more everyday. :scared:

50. SeminoleFan3

SeminoleFan3 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm scared. I'm scared school will be ridiculously hard and not doable. I'm scared about this research assistantship job I took this summer (I've never done any research!). I'm scared that I'm committing to a Navy scholarship, meaning that I HAVE to finish school and pay them back (with active duty). But, I'm sure I've been scared before and it's turned out fine. I'm trying to focus on one thing at a time. I need to finish my job here in the next few weeks and move up to the Bluegrass State! That's pretty fun and exciting. The scary and terrifying can wait.

51. imamom

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Son was freaking out about med. school loans. Finance course this semester did not help (ignorance WAS bliss). I was freaking out. Then my husband (entrepreneur) put it in perspective...

You are investing in a business. YOU are the business and it's a safer bet that you will succeed more than any new restauranteur or dot.com guru. So, most of you are young (and anyone under 40 is still YOUNG)...take risks, go for it, don't look back. You may not be filthy rich (as allegedly doctors of old were), but you will be able to raise your families comfortably, still pay your student loans, and you will realize immense satisfaction from doing what you want to do. That alone is priceless.

Meanwhile, send an e-mail to your congress-people and urge them to reduce the interest rate for student loans. Maybe if they hear from a few tens of thousands of students (and voters), they'll react appropriately!

Congratulations to all! :love: