Is anyone else seriously freaking out about starting med school this fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe if they hear from a few tens of thousands of students (and voters), they'll react appropriately!

Well, I think there are only about 16,000 students in allo, not all are US citizens, and those that are largely of an age group that has thus far had negligible turn out at the polls. You'd be better off having your grandparents write their congress people.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Grandparents??? C'mon. Okay 16,000 (less non-citizens) is a good place to start. There are students affected by student loan interest rates other than medical students. And maybe it wouldn't hurt to get a bit more politically active now that (as grad. students) you move out of the undergrad cocoon.

Sorry, child of the '60s (who had children late in life...no grandchildren on the horizon)!

16,000 students simultaneously mass emailing every single US senator? This could turn out 2 ways

1) Political action

2) DDoS attack that shuts down goverment....

Members don't see this ad :)
Meanwhile, send an e-mail to your congress-people and urge them to reduce the interest rate for student loans. Maybe if they hear from a few tens of thousands of students (and voters), they'll react appropriately

even if congress passes such a bill, Bush would veto the ****er..

...cuz he's an enormous douchebag.

Thanks for the responses. I thought I was the only one feeling like I was under a ton of bricks waiting for the world to end. Glad to hear I'm not alone. So I guess we'll all be fine. Thanks.

Thanks for the responses. I thought I was the only one feeling like I was under a ton of bricks waiting for the world to end. Glad to hear I'm not alone. So I guess we'll all be fine. Thanks.

Most of you will. Some will have to readjust to the reality that they will not cut it in their premed "dream" specialty (neurosurg, derm, etc). A few will simply fail and get bounced out, stuck with tens of thousands of dollars in loans and no degree.

Don't be in the last group.

even if congress passes such a bill, Bush would veto the ****er..

...cuz he's an enormous douchebag.

AFAIK in 6 years in office, Bush has only exercized the veto twice, a shockingly low number by the standards of recent presidents: to block an increase in federal funding of stem cell research, and to block troop withdrawal from Iraq. Given his general tendency to happily sign anything anyone puts on his desk, I don't think the veto is what you'd have to worry about. Good luck trying to get congress to introduce legislation helping those greedy snobby med students, who everybody knows are going to get rich, drive Porches, and live in mansions once they graduate.

Law2Doc said:
Cold dark winter afternoons are easy. It's the sunny warm summer weekend afternoons when living in the library becomes a chore.
No, trust me, as long as I can get near a window, I'm OK studying in the summertime. It's the darkness and cold that bothers me. If I didn't think our society has a tendency to assume simple realities of human nature are medical conditions, I'd claim to have Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I sometimes start having anxiety obout med school. MOstly about how I am gonna keep paying my family expenses. But also sometimes I get freaked out about this really being a 7+ year committment just for training alone. WEhat if by 3rd or 4th year I find that I really hate it???? I know deep down that this is very unlikely, because I have been so motivated and excited about this for so long, but I think a little self doubt is only natural.

The vast majority of the time I am just excited and eager to start. It definitely time to relax and enjoy the success that we have already achieved. Med school acceptance is definitely an accomplishment to be proud of. Although earning the MD degree four years from now will make this moment pale in comparison. :thumbup:

No, trust me, as long as I can get near a window, I'm OK studying in the summertime. It's the darkness and cold that bothers me. If I didn't think our society has a tendency to assume simple realities of human nature are medical conditions, I'd claim to have Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Get a sunlamp, seriously. My uncles a shrink and he got one for me because I get really depressed in the winter when I'm up north. You just sit near it for like 10 minutes and it makes a world of difference. It can also be used to reset circadian clocks, if you have to get up before the sun you just sit in front of it for a few minutes and your brain thinks the sun is up and that its time to be awake.

Please stop complaining! I am an MS1 and I had to move 3000 miles away from my home and my family. I was born, raised, and attended college within the same 8 mile radius, and then all of the sudden, I had to pack up my whole life and move to a completely new place. It's called growing up...some of us do it later than others. If I had been accepted to a med school in my home state, I probably would have attended, but no such luck. In retrospect, moving and experiencing a new life has been very good for me. Medical school is NOT THAT BAD. People love to exaggerate how aweful it is to make themselves sound like "survivors" and members of an exclusive "club." The truth is, the first few months are the most difficult because you are sort of bombarded with a massive amount of new material, and you are unsure of yourself. However, it gets much easier after that. If you really BELONG in medical school, you should have the study skills,the intelligence, and the drive to make it through without sinking into a deep depression.

Even though I've read and posted in this thread, everytime I see it on the main page I read it as:

Is anyone else seriously thinking about starting med school this fall?

And I just keep thinking well of course! I think most of us are. :confused:

I don't really think anyone's complaining. Just a lot of our lives will seriously change in a few months. That can be somewhat scary, so I think it makes us feel better to see that others are in the same situation and feeling the same things.

Please stop complaining! I am an MS1 and I had to move 3000 miles away from my home and my family. I was born, raised, and attended college within the same 8 mile radius, and then all of the sudden, I had to pack up my whole life and move to a completely new place. It's called growing up...some of us do it later than others. If I had been accepted to a med school in my home state, I probably would have attended, but no such luck. In retrospect, moving and experiencing a new life has been very good for me. Medical school is NOT THAT BAD. People love to exaggerate how aweful it is to make themselves sound like "survivors" and members of an exclusive "club." The truth is, the first few months are the most difficult because you are sort of bombarded with a massive amount of new material, and you are unsure of yourself. However, it gets much easier after that. If you really BELONG in medical school, you should have the study skills,the intelligence, and the drive to make it through without sinking into a deep depression.

Members don't see this ad :)
forget stressing about med school in the fall, i'm more worried about upcoming finals!!!!

Even though I've read and posted in this thread, everytime I see it on the main page I read it as:

Is anyone else seriously thinking about starting med school this fall?

And I just keep thinking well of course! I think most of us are. :confused:

forget stressing about med school in the fall, i'm more worried about upcoming finals!!!!

Yeah, I'm so glad I took a year off. But I feel for those you who still have finals etc.

i've never lived more than 150 miles from where i was born -- in middle-of-nowhere, tennessee -- and am fixing to pack up for the SF Bay. i am more nervous about living in a city (biggest "city" i've ever lived in: 55,000 people) than anything -- i feel waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my league. plus, i'm just 21, and i'm still rather attached to my momma. well, at least in a few months we'll all be too busy to worry about these things!

i've never lived more than 150 miles from where i was born -- in middle-of-nowhere, tennessee -- and am fixing to pack up for the SF Bay. i am more nervous about living in a city (biggest "city" i've ever lived in: 55,000 people) than anything -- i feel waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my league. plus, i'm just 21, and i'm still rather attached to my momma. well, at least in a few months we'll all be too busy to worry about these things!

Emm... middle of nowhere Tennessee -> SF is an upgrade. I have 100 bucks that says you aint going back. BTW, how do you "fix" pack up. :smuggrin:

Emm... middle of nowhere Tennessee -> SF is an upgrade. I have 100 bucks that says you aint going back. BTW, how do you "fix" pack up. :smuggrin:

"Fix to" hon, "fix to".

Yes freaking out here. I too (at 26) am leaving the only place I've ever lived, my family, friends and bf of 4 yrs, and I too envision being in a library on a cold dark winter afternoon wondering what I got myself into.....I'm bringing two cats that will hopefully keep me from going into an utter depression. I hope to meet others in my class that I can relate too about this crazy seven year journey of swimming up a waterfall. Thanks for posting guys...it really helps my sanity to know that others are scared too. i wake up at night and over exaggerate everything. I thought this summer would be great, but I think its going to be full of a lot of anxiety...I think this is the nature of who we are...we do well, then worry about whether we will do well again...then do well..and alas the cycle will continue.

But also sometimes I get freaked out about this really being a 7+ year committment just for training alone. WEhat if by 3rd or 4th year I find that I really hate it????

I wouldn't worry about that. :) Medicine is such an incredibly broad field that even if you hate certain aspects of it, you'll still be able to find a niche for yourself.

hey guys,
the thread is so welcome. i really appreciate you guys sharing all your worries, because.. i am 28 and got accepted today after a three year struggle to get in. even though it wasn't my absolute first choice, i still fully expected to feel a huge rush of joy. i didn't. i felt very grateful, but totally sad at the same time. and the confusion had been plaguing me all day until i read this thread. now i think i know what some of my anxieties are. i went to law school before in my early twenties, and back then i was chock full of optimism when i got accepted. being a little older brings a whole new set of concerns that you guys touched upon (anxieties about dropping out, moving away from family and friends, anxieties about planning other major life decisions like marriage, etc). still, the fact that you guys are taking these issues under serious consideration is just a testament to how mature y'all are. i know you guys will do fabulously.. hang in there.

etsuprinthead--i promise, the bay area is FABULOUS!! you will love it. people are uber friendly, views are great, and don't even get me started on the restaurants.
congratulations all!

lol somebody's from California :smuggrin:

Me? I got all my moving around done early in childhood. Try moving to a different state halfway through high school. 16 year olds are so friendly and accepting :laugh:

ahh good times. Good thing my medical school is 20 minutes from my house....:cool:

I too am moving across country except from the south to the North....I will miss my family but I am excited...just wish I did not have to be so far from everyone...makes me wonder if I should have just stayed in Texas sometimes

im from tx also and im moving to ohio for a postbacc. i feel similarly