Is anyone familiar with ICSW (Institute for Clinical Social Work - in Chicago) and its reputation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

constanceandcaring

Reaction score
I'm thinking of applying to the MA program there because it is more psychodynamically oriented but I'm having a hard time finding out what kind of place it has in the psychological, clinical, psychoanalytic communities. Any thoughts or anecdotes welcome

I was waitlisted at my top choice, Duquesne University PhD in Clinical Psychology but none of the 7 students who were offered positions declined so I'm left with few good options and I'm thinking about applying to ICSW for a short 2 year program just to get into practice ASAP. I was also accepted to the Antioch UNE PsyD and was a little hesitant about it but after reading threads about it on here I feel pretty sure that I shouldn't go. Another option I'm considering is the Masters in Mental Health Counseling at Yeshiva U Ferkauf.

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet is to apply for public, state universities in your state (for the in-state tuition). A master's in mental health counseling or clinical social work does not warrant the price tag of the programs you listed, and the training at the majority of state universities is typically reputable. I have never heard of the Institute for Clinical Social Work, but it is odd that they call themselves that when they don't actually offer a master's degree in social work.

Reactions: 2 users
Your best bet is to apply for public, state universities in your state (for the in-state tuition).
Yes!

OP, I would not be overly concerned about the theoretical orientation of the program. If it is a more CBT orientated program than you will simply get a glimpse of another orientation. You will have the opportunity to pursue the type of training and experiences you desire after a master's program anyway. These degrees are not the end of your training (especially for master's-level) but only the beginning. I recommend your top priority is finding low-debt, reputable programs that lead to licensure.

If your end goal is to get a doctorate, perhaps the best bet is to take a year or two off to build your CV and reapply.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems like the Institute for Clinical Social Work is more similar to an analytic institute than an actual university-based program. Not that institutes are not legit - they totally are - but they are more for post-graduate training when you want to specialize in psychoanalytic/psychodynamic studies. Not that good for your generalized masters degree. You want a university-based program that will teach you from the ground up all the theories, techniques, and skills of counseling. I also suspect that ICSW may not necessarily meet all of the requirements for licensure in the state(s) you want to practice in.

Antioch's PsyD program is actually quite good (training wise and support wise, especially if you are psychoanalytically oriented), but the price tag is the killer :( Are you already accepted to Ferkauf's masters program?

Finally, do you know what branch of psychoanalytic psychotherapy you're interested in? That will help you determine how well respected it is within analytic circles. I can't get a clear read from ICSW's site what their orientation/school of thought is, which is problematic.