Is anyone here working as an ER Tech during COVID-19?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m just asking to gain to some insight. I applied to be an ER Tech sometime before the official lockdown. I ended up getting the position but I’m weary about starting. I’m extremely terrified about contracting and spreading this virus especially since I live with my Aunt & Uncle who are potentially vulnerable.

I did create a plan that would allow for me to safely come home without significantly contaminating anything.

It’s a hard decision for me because I have been unemployed for a year. I quit my scribe job early last year after experiencing crippling carpal tunnel. The job I had lined up ended up falling through last minute and I missed the initial deadline for summer EMT registration. I took the course this past fall, got licensed, and landed this gig.

In addition, I have been volunteering as a crisis text line counselor and absolutely love it. Unfortunately, it doesn’t pay the bills.

Most of my concerns really come from having adequate access to PPE, receiving hazard pay, and potentially getting sick. What has been your experiences during the pandemic??

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on where you're at l would say its going to vary. l'm working in a major city on the east coast and l can say that jumping into a tech job right now at somewhere like l work would be very stressful, but at the same time its a chance to make a bigger difference in the covid fight. l'm seeing increased workloads bc of the number of patients coming in, and many people are in pretty bad shape. As an orientee you would probably have plenty of guidance to help teach you the ropes of the job, so its not like you'd get thrown into the fire.

As for ppe, again that depends on where you're from, but we are rationing everything we have right now. 1 cloth mask, 1 gown, and 1 face sheild per shift is what we're going through. N95s are available in short supply, and are under strict lock and key.

We are not getting hazard pay, and will not be getting it in the forseeable future.

My family is scared to see me anymore because they are afraid of getting sick, but l live by myself so that makes it easier to socially distance myself. At the same time nurses who do live with family who are more at risk and they are taking every possible precaution. (Wearing disposable scrubs and showering and changing at end of shift, clustering care to reduce patient contact, purchasing their own ppe, and disinfecting every surface before and after their shifts)

your experience will be different from mine, but that is what l've been seeing.

Reactions: 1 user