1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Is anyone middle-eastern in here?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by PrayingEmilio, Feb 23, 2002.

1. PrayingEmilio

PrayingEmilio Junior Member

Hello! I know that I am a really sporadic poster, but I am just re-he-heally confused about this whole minority thing. I have, for the past hour, been trying to search on google the number of middle eastern applicants and % of arabics in dental school. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Do arabic american dentists exist??? Obviously, I am really trying to see if I can mark minority....I look like a minority, I feel like a minority, and since Sept. 11, I can't even begin to list the ways in which I have been treated like one. :mad:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Blue Tooth

Blue Tooth Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes Arab dentists exist, all different types of dentist exist. I too am part arabic and I didn't check any kind of box because there wasn't one to check. Historically in the U.S., the concept of race has always been in the Black/White dichotomy. Eventually Asians/Pacific Islanders and of course indigenous Indians were also included. Arabs and Indians (those from India) have always been considered Caucasian under the made-up "racial" classifications that exist in the U.S. Only recently did the Census Bureau even start to recognize other ethnicities on its form and still excludes people who are "bi-racial". So don't expect to be able to consider yourself a minority, especially in the health professions where it's widely believed that Indians, Asians, Arabs, Persians, etc are over represented.

4. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If you're not:

African American
    American Indian
    Hispanic

then you will not be considered as a minority according to AADSAS or ADEA guidelines! :cool:

5. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hi, I'm Pali, I just marked "OTHER"

6. musl85

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i dont see the big deal. Im egyptian and international student, and i got 6 interviews and 2 acceptances, and this is with a december application completion date. My stats are not stellar. What is with this whole minority thing. I didnt mark minority on my app. I just put other. If your grades and interview skills are good, you should have no problem, you wont need to seek the extra advantage of being labeled a minority.

7. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Your stats are clearly good, but the thread starters may not, and from what I hear, it can be a positive (or "advantage"). Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But like I said, Im Pali, with "darker" skin, so labeling my self white isn't comfortable for me regardless of what I should be considered. I mean other is also an option

8. Sama951

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

I'm half Lebanese / half Palestinian and my name's Ousama.. I think I'm in for a ride if the wrong person opens up my application :scared:

9. musl85

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    ill do you one better, i have a pretty big + long beard lol. i have not shaved since 2004. :D

10. Sama951

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Lol! you're my hero! I was actually getting worried my name would affect my application (let's face it there's bound to be a few people out there who would see it and throw my app in the trash) but now there's hope :p

11. musl85

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    haha, yea well my parents were worried i would get turned down everywhere cuz of the beard, but it really wasnt a problem. They desperately tried to get me to trim it, but i would have none of that haha. I guess it depends where you apply and interview. It probably wasnt such an issue cuz i interviewed in major cities with diverse populations.

12. La Dentista

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    My dentist is Arab-american, along with my old dentist from when I was eight years old.
    I am from palestine/israel and am also American Indian (lucky me???)

So you are definitely not alone.... at all.

13. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Ahlan wa-sahlan bikum

14. sl2obel2ts

sl2obel2ts i like tomatoes
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    My persian friend told me that "UOP" is "University of Persians"

15. Holopeachy1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Hey I feel the same way, I'm persian but raised in Europe and I thought for sure I would be considered a minority. But no, like stated above if your not african american, hispanic or american indian then your not a minority. By the way if you come down to sothern cali then you will see that the persians and the arabs have a good 70% of the medical and dental field covered!;)

16. Holopeachy1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Hey atleast you will stand out:p

17. xDent09

2+ Year Member

im a Proud Arab from Yemen, applying this year Inshallah I will get in!

18. musl85

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    as long as your DAT is good, you should have no problem. At least with the private schools. Im international also, and came from a no name school in NYC.

19. musl85

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    haha, marhaban. Inshallah you al get in:thumbup:

20. Sama951

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Haha yup I'll definitely stand out!!

It could go either way, someone could open it up and go "Ousama? yeah, ok *trash*" or they could look at it and say "Damn wouldn't we look good if we accepted an Ousama!"

Or they could just look right past the name which really is what should happen haha.

Good luck to all you guys applying Inshallah you all get your first choices.

I'm a Canadian student too that's planning to apply to the States... What makes you think you won't get in with a 3.7? Lots of schools down there don't differentiate between in/out of state (like BU) so your chances are just as good as anyone elses that applies. Unless you do awfully on the DAT you should have no problems at all!

What is this no-name school you go to?

21. Sama951

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Just make sure you don't get distracted and dip your beard into a patient's mouth or anything while you're working on them... That could get awkward :D

22. Holopeachy1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Sama I really hope they can see past that, I'm sure they will, Inshallah they will. Goodluck everyone!

23. fightingspirit

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yalla bina yalla, yalla yalla, ya habibi yalla, yalla yalla......there are arabs in dental school but they are few because the arab population in the u.s as a whole is small and has not established itself yet.

in terms of your feelings regarding 9/11, you need to ignore them. 9/11 did not increase the number of americans who dislike and distrust arabs; it just made it easier for those who dislike them to express their feelings and sometimes act on them.

24. fightingspirit

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    or maybe they mistook you for a hasidik jew??!!

25. musl85

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    lol not with my personal statement and my first name :D

where are you from btw?

26. kiddentist89

Pre-Dental
  27. ucla2134

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yub persian is not considered minority along with asian.

28. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'm Middle Eastern & I've always been told to mark "White/Caucasian" on any application.

Actually, I even remember filling out a job application once at Walgreens & they listed out all the categories with respective ethnicities/nationalities...and Middle Eastern was under the White/Caucasian category, so go figure...Doesn't bother me at all...no offense, but i'd rather mark white than asian. less competition ;).

29. dr damas

Dentist
    hi
    i am a dentist from syria , i am wondering if you could help me ho to applay fo nbde 1 ,they told me that i have to apply for ece,so i logged to ece web site , and checked required doucuments , but i did not understand how to get syllabus of subject analysis ,catalog match and health professions reports , to be submitted for all postsecondery academic subjects
    thank alot

30. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I heard the same thing....I heard UCLA is the same way...some like 40% of the class is Persian. My doctor said she would go to UCLA area to take CE courses and all the other dentists enrolled in the courses would speak Farsi to each other and she would feel like the minority and shes 100% Caucasian.

31. oclor

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Iraqi in the house!

32. Habib

Pre-Dental
    I'm middle eastern too. My parents are from Syria. My name is Habib, except I have blond hair blue eyes and pretty fair skin haha. So there's always a lot of confusion when I meet people! Interviews should be fun!

33. dentaldream88

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    im egyptian and im applying this cycle! musl85 try wearing a hijab (headscarf) and interviewing.....we'll see how that goes inshallah!

34. polarmolar

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Egyptian here!!

Truly it is confusing which to pick, but "other" is probably your best bet.

How was everyone's Eid? :)